Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone here build plastic model cars?

anyone here build plastic model cars?
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 04:44 PM

I haven't built one in about 20 yrs, decided to purchase a 65 lincoln 1:24th scale model today. Any tips I need to know before building? I was thinking of picking up a paint kit at Michaels, which includes glue and sandpaper and a brush. I may get a can of spray enamel for the body. Anything else I need? any tips I should follow? Thanks in advance.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 04:49 PM

Oh man. I built probably hundreds when I lived in Japan.

Tamiya FTW!

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 05:00 PM

Don't forget Hasegawa!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 05:20 PM

Hasegawa were always the cheap alternative to Tamiya (at least in the latter half of the 80's, when I built most of mine), and it showed in their fit, IIRC.

Though they had a wider range of obscure models - most of them military, though.

I was never too much into building instruments of death (nor playing with them).

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 26, 2007, 06:18 PM

I have shelves full of them at home. Most of them are breaking apart or have poorly painted body parts. I'd usually get bored about 3/4 of the way through and then just do a crappy job on the rest of it.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2007, 12:09 AM

Hasegawa excelled in their military aircraft, and Tamiya were the best for tanks and stuff.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 01:08 AM

my big brother built tons when we were kids. Then we broke em all in his teen years. Now he's a well-paid auto body man. Connected?

I have often wondered what it would be like to build as an adult. I bet the craftmanship would shine.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2007, 08:43 AM

I've moved from building models as a "kid" to building guitar effect pedals as an adult -- so it's still in my blood.

Here's my most recent completion:

Forum Links
Forum Rules