Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who Shot Roy Hobbs And Why Did She Shoot Him?

Who Shot Roy Hobbs And Why Did She Shoot Him?
abe
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 08:31 PM

I enjoy the Robert Redford film, "The Natural." But one thing I've never understood is what role Barbara Hershey played in shooting him in the hotel room.

Was it a metaphorical device to represent any of the mishaps that might serve to derail a young man on the way to achieving greatness?

Or what???
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 09:17 PM

Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 09:21 PM

She was a crazed fan, a nutball, a serial killer in training. And a plot device to advance the story to 16 years later.

PS, the movie was all right but the book was better.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2007, 12:55 AM

as a young dude I enjoyed that movie more than most other young dudes did. (I asked around)
ice

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
She was a crazed fan, a nutball, a serial killer in training. And a plot device to advance the story to 16 years later.

PS, the movie was all right but the book was better.
On the AMC DVD version they said Hobbs was unsympathetic and motivated by money and sex in the novel.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:22 AM

The Eddie Waitkus Affair

“She had the coldest-looking face I ever saw.” – Eddie Waitkus, baseball player

Olde-Tyme baseball by C. Philip Francis – September 15, 2005

The 1984 movie “The Natural” with Robert Redford is one of the better baseball movies made. It is based on Bernard Malamud’s offbeat novel of the same name when. 38-year-old Roy Hobbs breaks into baseball as a rookie with a passion, hits gigantic home runs, and transforms a last place team into a winner. The story was inspirited by the shooting of Eddie Waitkus, a 29-year-old baseball player for the Philadelphia Phillies, when a deranged woman invited him into her hotel room for the purpose of murder.

Eddie, however, was the second major league baseball player ever to be shot by a fan as you may remember a recent Chatter from the Dugout column that described on how Billy Jurges, a shortstop for the Chicago Cubs, was shot by a young lady who wanted more than just a casual companionship. While Jurges knew his assailant, Waitkus was shot by an unknown stalker who for several years had become overly infatuated with him from afar. Coincidentally Waitkus and Jurges were infielders, were either Chicago Cubs or had played with the Cubs, the two shootings occurred in Chicago hotels, and they both survived to play again.
The Eddie Waitkus Affair

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 01:25 AM

I enjoy the Robert Redford film, "The Natural." But one thing I've never understood is what role Barbara Hershey played in shooting him in the hotel room.

Was it a metaphorical device to represent any of the mishaps that might serve to derail a young man on the way to achieving greatness?

Or what???
It is implied later that Darrin McGavin's (Gus Sands) character had him shot over the Whammer bet. Hobbs asked if he ever lost a bet he said "I lost a bet once over three pitches, but I got even later"
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 3, 2007 at 01:34 AM. )

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
It is implied later that Darrin McGavin's (Gus Sands) character had him shot over the Whammer bet. Hobbs asked if he ever lost a bet he said "I lost a bet once over three pitches, but I got even later"
While watching tonight I took note of that line and wondered about it.

Thank you sooooooo much, Chongo!

Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 01:45 AM

I think maybe Barbara Hershey did not take the Islamo Fascist threat seriously?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think maybe Barbara Hershey did not take the Islamo Fascist threat seriously?
TAKE YOUR POLITICO CRAPTASIA TO THE POLITICO LOUNGORREA.

Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 10:03 AM

Politico Loungorrea sounds a lot like diarrhea or gonorrhea. Fitting.

Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
POLITICO LOUNGORREA.
Good one, I like it. Maybe we should rename the Pol Lounge?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Politico Loungorrea sounds a lot like diarrhea or gonorrhea. Fitting.
Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Good one, I like it. Maybe we should rename the Pol Lounge?
Yeah, maybe that might help my privileges get reinstated.

Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 01:36 PM

You are just so offensive abe. They can't help it.

Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 01:36 PM

Yeah, maybe that might help my privileges get reinstated.
Yes, if we all decide that the PM PL should become a pool of diarrhea, we'll make sure to have you reinstated.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Sep 3, 2007 at 01:50 PM. )

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:41 PM

You are just so offensive abe. They can't help it.

Oh well.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, if we all decide that the PM should become a pool of diarrhea, we'll make sure to have you reinstated.

-t
PM?

Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 01:45 PM

No clue either. Anyhow, the PL does need an enema.

Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 01:50 PM

PM?
Meant PL.

So, abe, request denied.

-t

Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 01:53 PM

Yeah Abe, request denied.

And I haven't even begun to unleash any wrath yet!

Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yeah Abe, request denied.

And I haven't even begun to unleash any wrath yet!
Save it, all he wants is attention, don't feed the troll.

-t

Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 02:03 PM

Meant PL.

So, abe, request denied.
Actually abe would make a perfect enema for it.

Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:24 PM

While watching tonight I took note of that line and wondered about it.

Thank you sooooooo much, Chongo!
It's been some time since I saw the beginning of the movie (always catch it 1/3 of the way through), but I got the impression that the Barbara Hershey character would've shot Babe Ruth (or the facsimile of Ruth), but switched her target to Hobbs when he struck Ruth out at the carnival.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
It's been some time since I saw the beginning of the movie (always catch it 1/3 of the way through), but I got the impression that the Barbara Hershey character would've shot Babe Ruth (or the facsimile of Ruth), but switched her target to Hobbs when he struck Ruth out at the carnival.
Yeah, I saw that last eve as well. As though the thing that set her off was pride when Roy or Whammer said, or had it said about them, that they were or would be called the best who ever lived. She suddenly lost interest in one and then glommed onto the other.

Either the immodesty set her off or the fact that she wanted to achieve fame (gain some meaning for her own life) by killing the GREATEST one.

I mean who would assassinate the 2nd greatest anything?

If your life has no meaning or importance such that you'd seek personal fulfillment by killing someone you'd go for the gusto.

Glad you mentioned that, scottiB!

Thanks!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:50 PM

Well, at least it should smell Springtime fresh. I know there are a couple of douches who post there.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:52 PM

Meant PL.

So, abe, request denied.

-t
Oh, I thought you were so pre-occupied with someone's PMS that you made a Freudian slip.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:56 PM

Actually abe would make a perfect enema for it.
As long as the campaign slogan was, "Abe, the FRIENDLY enema FOR the people."

Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 04:55 PM

Abe: Public Enema

P.S. request denied!

Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 05:19 PM

Ok, so then why kill herself? That never made sense either.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Ok, so then why kill herself? That never made sense either.
I wondered about that last night and thought that maybe she believed she had achieved her goal of going down in history as the woman who killed "The Greatest Who Ever Played The Game."

But it wouldn't make sense that she'd switch from someone who was CLEARLY revered as the greatest (Whammer) to instead kill someone who was just coming up and hadn't yet gotten any acclaim.

But she saw him fan the Whammer on 3 pitches so she knew something that few others did. That Hobbs really COULD have achieved GREATNESS beyond Whammer's. But that takes away the motive to kill the GREATEST because it only matters if EVERYONE knows that the victim was the greatest. What good is it to off a nobody?

Good question, starman.

Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 06:39 PM

I think it was an awkward plot device that really didn't work too well. having her kill herself made it awkward, where as if it was a an attempted murder and a sex scandal that could better explain his exodus from the game for 16 years.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I think it was an awkward plot device that really didn't work too well. having her kill herself made it awkward, where as if it was a an attempted murder and a sex scandal that could better explain his exodus from the game for 16 years.
That's something else. As he and Glenn Close are walking together in silhouette they exchange details of the past 16 years. Mostly his, I'd presume. And I wasn't able to make it out really well but I think I heard him say something about 'when I got out'. And of course that could have been the hospital, but why would he have been so reticent to talk about it afterwards? After all, he didn't do anything wrong in the shooting. (The photo of him taken by the police photog as the 'official' pictures matches his position we last saw him when he fell from her gunshot. That means he didn't get up and shoot her.) But it could ALSO have been from prison as a result of what happened after the shooting.

And that's another thing. On the AMC DVD showing they said that the film was intentionally meant to be impressionistic rather than literal.

The more I try to dissect this the more I'm left with a big "?".

Forum Links
Forum Rules