Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What was so bad about Brittney's MTV performance?

What was so bad about Brittney's MTV performance?
Sep 10, 2007, 08:32 PM

Sure, she seemed a tad (how does one put it?) lackadaisical, but nothing so bad as is being made out in the media. They're even making comments about her being out of shape. I think she looked hot, in a slutty kinda way.

It's nothing but petty, vicious scandalmongering. No wonder she's so screwed up.

Sep 10, 2007, 08:33 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Sep 10, 2007, 08:37 PM

Aw shucks.

Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 08:51 PM

She's fat.

Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 09:00 PM

Isn't it Bri-TON-y now? She's fat, out of shape, has no magic, or flair, and has no waist either. She better get an education and get a job somwhere OUT of the Entertainment Biz. Maybe get a gig on Weight-Watchers.

Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 09:03 PM

1) She couldn't even lip-sync

2) Her "dancing" was horrible

3) She was out of shape

4) She wasn't "into" it

Overall, if she was hoping for a comeback, this wasn't the way to get it started. She was overrated 5-8 years ago and she is overrated now.
2.3GHz i7 15" Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013)

Sep 10, 2007, 09:17 PM

No, no, no. You people are deluded. She was, is, many many things.

She is NOT fat.

Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 09:22 PM

She is 'fat' compared to her former ridiculous self.

Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
She is 'fat' compared to her former ridiculous self.
true, true.

-t

Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post

She is NOT fat.
Fat and "out of shape" are not synonymous.
2.3GHz i7 15" Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013)

Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 10:45 PM

OK, since the "other" thread was turned into a religious romp (and not by "our side" this time), I'll post this AP article here, which summarises the debate pretty well:

NEW YORK — The consensus is clear: Britney Spears performed like she was sloshing blindfolded through mud at MTV's Video Music Awards. No one disputes that the troubled pop princess royally mangled her much-heralded comeback.

But what about the nastiest comments of all — those about her body? "Lard and Clear," read Monday's headline in the New York Post. "The bulging belly she was flaunting was SO not hot," wrote E! Online. And so on.

Was it fair? Did Spears, lest we forget a mother of two, deserve to be held up against the standard of her once fantastically toned abs, sculpted by sessions of 1,000 tummy crunches? Or was she asking for it by choosing that unforgiving black-sequined bikini?

More profoundly, in an age where skinny models and skeletal actresses are under scrutiny for the message they're sending young girls, what does it say that we're excoriating a young woman for a little thickness in her middle?

Certainly people were curious to see her. The show drew 7.1 million viewers Sunday, up 23 percent over last year's VMAs, and was the highest-rated cable program of the year among people aged 12 to 34, according to Nielsen Media Research.

On the morning after what the VH1 channel called Spears' "already historic" performance, the blogosphere was buzzing with opinions. For every "fat" comment there was an impassioned retort. "Give her a break," wrote one blogger on Aboutthink.com. "The girl's had two kids — I hope I'm a size 10 after having kids!"

"OK, she isn't fat," wrote another. "But she isn't fit enough to be wearing (or not wearing) what she is."

For many observers, the issue was not so much the body, but the body in THAT outfit.

"In that ensemble, you just can't have an ounce of anything extra," said Janice Min, editor of the celebrity magazine US Weekly. "Many women wouldn't eat for days if they were wearing that."

"Did she look better than 99 percent of women? Yes," added Min. "But compared to her earlier form, she probably didn't look as good."

Besides, said Min, "Britney Spears has always been about the whole package. It's never been 100 percent about the talent. Is it sexist? Probably, but she's built a career on an image of sexiness."

Talk of Spears' physique comes amid an increasingly critical focus on overly skinny actresses in Hollywood, who've largely replaced supermodels as the world's fashion plates. It's hard to pick up a celebrity magazine without a critical photo of, say, Angelina Jolie's birdlike arms. And curvy actresses are getting positive attention, from Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson of "Dreamgirls" to Golden Globe-winner America Ferrara of TV's "Ugly Betty."

In the fashion industry, there's been an effort to promote healthier-looking models. "Girls aren't looking as skinny this season as they did," said Suze Yalof Scwhartz, executive editor-at-large for Glamour Magazine. "There's food backstage. They're looking sexier." At Glamour, she noted, a model won't be featured "if she shows too much clavicle."

The nastier headlines about Spears are uncalled for, Schwartz said, but at the same time, "when you walk around the stage in a black bikini in front of millions of viewers, people are going to notice." She added that though Spears doesn't have the perfect body she once did, "Most women would die for the body she has now."

An obvious question is whether a male performer would have been subjected to the same standards. Many would say no; Dave Zinczenko, editor of Men's Health magazine, says yes.

"Listen, any time you go on national television and dance in barely any clothing, you're going to be facing a lot of scrutiny," Zinczenko says. "Anybody would be asking for it." Not that many people weren't pulling for Spears, he notes: "If she had come back, she would have been the toast of the country."

And certainly she had a lot to come back from over the past few years: Well-documented parenting mishaps — remember the baby on her lap in the driver's seat? A messy divorce from husband Kevin Federline. The famous crotch photos. The bizarre head-shaving incident. Rehab.

And now this.

"I kind of feel bad for her," said Shelley Wade, a DJ at New York City pop station Z100. "She looked really nervous. And then now, I'm looking at all these blogs this morning about how everybody thinks she's fat and I'm like, `What! Fat?' She wasn't fat."

How all this will impact Spears' career, and sales of her new album, has yet to be seen. "I just felt like that performance was make or break for her comeback," says Wade. "Now with last night's performance, she's just kind of put herself back in the same boat ... everybody thinks she's a train wreck."

But the single of "Gimme More," the song she destroyed onstage, is off to a great start in the Top 40, says Sean Ross of Edison Research, which tracks radio play. "A great VMA performance would have probably closed the deal for her, but she's still got until Thanksgiving to do other good performances and to release a strong album with other hits on it," he said.

In any case, it seems it would never be wise to write an obituary of Spears' career.

"With everything Britney, we think this is the last chance," says Min. "The fact is, it never is.

"At least this puts attention back on her as a performer. My sense is she'd rather be judged on that than on the rehab, the drinking and the partying."

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2007, 10:50 PM

She was boring, which in her line of work, is pretty deadly.

ImpulseResponse

Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 10:50 PM

And then again... she does keep showing her cooch. <- Two clicks to NSFW.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2007, 10:55 PM

They're even making comments about her being out of shape. I think she looked hot, in a slutty kinda way.
pretty much true.
ice

Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 10:59 PM

She is NOT fat.
She's not fat, but she's not skinny enough to wear what she was wearing and hope for it to come off as sexy. Similarly, I'm not fat, but you're not going to catch me prancing around in a speedo showing off my normal-guy ass to the world, and I wouldn't blame people for being grossed out if I did.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Similarly, I'm not fat, but you're not going to catch me prancing around in a speedo showing off my normal-guy ass to the world,
Salty's dreams. Shattered.

Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 11:49 PM

Why was it bad? Because she was in it. Doesn't she have better things to do? Like rehab?

Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
And then again... she does keep showing her cooch. <- Two clicks to NSFW.
I have now decided genitalia is not attractive. Male or female. No de-rail, just the facts.

Brittney, if you would clean up your act, your image and your body (which is just fine for certain attire/venues.) then you MIGHT might might do something further in the entertainment biz.

Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 11:55 PM

Honestly, I think she needs the money. Isn't Federline getting a ridic amount in alimony (20k? Don't hold me to that...). Not to mention i doubt she knows anything else to do with her life.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Honestly, I think she needs the money.
Due to ongoing court proceedings, Brit was forced to disclose some financials recently. She's making about $750,000...

per month

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 12:23 AM

Ah yes, I never even thought of residuals.

Dumbass.

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Due to ongoing court proceedings, Brit was forced to disclose some financials recently. She's making about $750,000...

per month
Geez, though she probably still has all of her sponsors, clothing/beauty line, any other products she endorses.
Plus, maybe she was a smart one and invested money in something other than cars, houses, etc.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 12:44 AM

She probably hired someone smart enough to do it for her. I'm guessing.

Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
Geez, though she probably still has all of her sponsors, clothing/beauty line, any other products she endorses.
Plus, maybe she was a smart one and invested money in something other than cars, houses, etc.
Uhm...houses are not a smart investment?

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2007, 01:14 AM

Talk about phoning it in - jeez.

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2007, 08:20 PM

When you spend 400-500 million on a twenty bedroom house seems a bit out of place.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2007, 08:25 PM

400-500 million?
url?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2007, 08:27 PM

There ain't a house on the planet which costs that much. They top out at about $125m.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
There ain't a house on the planet which costs that much. They top out at about $125m.
Obviously, you haven't seen Hassanal Bolkiah's pad: Istana Nurul Iman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Obviously, you haven't seen Hassanal Bolkiah's pad: Istana Nurul Iman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
400-500 million?
url?
The number was just an exaggeration of how much money they waste on horrible investments.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2007, 08:49 PM

Besides, said Min, "Britney Spears has always been about the whole package. It's never been 100 percent about the talent.

*buckles up with laughter, hugging sides*

Oh dear... that made me laugh so hard I had to stop reading altogether. “Never been 100 percent about the talent”... hahahahahahahhahahahaaa!

Edit: You have included 29 images in your message. You are limited to using 13 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Whoopsies. Too many laughing smilies.

Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2007, 09:09 PM

Not at the moment in America.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Edit: You have included 29 images in your message. You are limited to using 13 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.
A smiley counts as an image???

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
A smiley counts as an image???
Of course. They are images, just very small ones.

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 09:39 PM

She's really out of shape for a professional entertainer.

She's skinny for an average american. lol~

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 09:51 PM

People have become too obsessed with thin. Most celebrities are too thin to the point of being unattractive. There is a reasonable middle ground, and other than the too tight bikini, Britney looked fine.

Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
People have become too obsessed with thin. Most celebrities are too thin to the point of being unattractive. There is a reasonable middle ground, and other than the too tight bikini, Britney looked fine.
I agree. Thats why half the models now are basket cases about their weight, they need to have the pagent prize be a membership to a buffet.

Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 09:04 AM

Bah, they're not too thin. I dread the day when girls are happy with being more than a size 8.

It's happening already, slowly; the whole 'muffin top' fashion thing. Gross. Time to diet and exercise, ladies.

Baninated
Sep 13, 2007, 07:10 AM

Now I know why girls have eating disorders.

Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Now I know why girls have eating disorders.
Ribcages are sexy.

Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 10:28 AM

When you spend 400-500 million on a twenty bedroom house seems a bit out of place.
Nobody ever paid that much for a house.

The top selling houses in the US go for 100 - 120M.

-t

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 13, 2007, 10:32 AM

The number was just an exaggeration of how much money they waste on horrible investments.
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Nobody ever paid that much for a house.

The top selling houses in the US go for 100 - 120M.

-t
Thank you for pointing this out.

Baninated
Sep 13, 2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Ribcages are sexy.
If you are into meth I guess...

Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 12:44 PM

Since we're in a thread about celebs, I think I read somewhere that apparently Lindsay's put a few pounds on during rehab. All I can think of is, of course, she's been off her cocaine diet for a while.

Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 01:06 PM

Well, nothing is guaranteed to loose more weight than the 'crack diet'. Endorsed by MANY celebrities world-wide. Some need to just have their photo on the vial.

Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 01:08 PM

Imagine if it was legal. I can't imagine all the diet pills that would use it as an ingredient.

Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 02:09 PM

As long as its not backed by Major League Baseball. These guys can't mandate cough syrup. With them it would be Balco part 2, I'd guess.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 02:36 PM

I wouldn't call her fat, but she is at maximum dense capacity imo. I prefer a hardbodied athletic woman who eats healthy, exercises, and takes geritol. I mean vitamins.

Who really cares anyway.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Sep 14, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Ribcages are sexy.
Skinny women produce excessive body hair (lanugo) to compensate for the loss of warmth normally provided by a natural fat layer. Annorexics, furthermore, have notoriously bad breath, a very low libido, and eventually suffer amenorrhea. Bulimics teeth rot as a result of regurgitating stomach acid. Repeated vomiting eventually leds to Wernicke's encephalopathy: amnesia, confusion, brain-deterioration, coma.

But whatever floats your boat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules