Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Using your middle name as your main name

Using your middle name as your main name
Thread Tools
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 12:55 PM
 
So, after 35 years of being mostly alive, I have decided that I don’t like my first name as much as my middle name. Don’t get me wrong, “Brian” is okay, I just like “Brady” better for some reason. Plus my mother told me that it was her original intention to name me “Brady Brian” rather than “Brian Brady” (Brady was the name of her step-father whom she really admired and loved, Brian is just a name she liked) but my overbearing and narrow-minded (my words) father wouldn’t have it.

If I had my “rathers” I would change it legally but the expense and the hassle hardly seem worth it to swap two names around. (Plus, it took them THREE YEARS to schedule a first hearing for a divorce filing, who knows how long it would take around here)

My question is…how big a hassle would it be to start using my middle name as my first and what would I have to do to facilitate this? Would there still be some legal crap to go through?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vente: Achat
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:00 PM
 
You may be right, but your timing is poor.

Go Giants!
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:02 PM
 
Stop being a pansy and change your name to Agamemnon Maximus Bananahammer.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by paul w View Post
You may be right, but your timing is poor.

Go Giants!
Something tells me you go the wrong thread…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by paul w View Post
You may be right, but your timing is poor.

Go Giants!


-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post


-t
…maybe I just don't get it…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Stop being a pansy and change your name to Agamemnon Maximus Bananahammer.
I think Bananahammer would be an awesome name!
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:08 PM
 
Just start going by your middle name. B. Brady Smacintush. Done.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Just start going by your middle name. B. Brady Smacintush. Done.
Just change your last name, keep the first names.

Brady B. Bananahammer

Uhm, yummy

-t
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:14 PM
 
I have never been called by my first name. From birth I have always used my middle name.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:16 PM
 
How about B. Brady Smacinbananahammertush?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:26 PM
 
I don't have a middle name, only an initial. Maybe that would be a cool switch.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:31 PM
 
Change your name to some symbol like Prince.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:37 PM
 
In most states you just start using a new name. It's perfectly legal. However, since post 9-11 everyone's paranoid so businesses won't accept a name if it's different from your birth certificate. So you need to obtain a court order for a new name, and make a trip to your local Social Security Office.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:42 PM
 
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:47 PM
 
I actually use my third name. It confuses people.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Detroit
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 01:56 PM
 
using it for something? or being called by that name?

i know, well, 7 or 8 people who use their middle name for everything but on their drivers licenses. credit cards, email accounts, in-person conversations, answering phone, every day things...all use their middle name. no reason to change your name and no expenses. when required to make big purchase, get a job, etc...use your legal name.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 02:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
using it for something? or being called by that name?

i know, well, 7 or 8 people who use their middle name for everything but on their drivers licenses. credit cards, email accounts, in-person conversations, answering phone, every day things...all use their middle name. no reason to change your name and no expenses. when required to make big purchase, get a job, etc...use your legal name.
Well, that was my question.

Can I just go by B. Brady Smacinbananahammertush rather than Brian B. Smacinbananahammertush for everything?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Well, that was my question.

Can I just go by B. Brady Smacinbananahammertush rather than Brian B. Smacinbananahammertush for everything?
If you're in the U.S., as I already said, you'll need to get a court order for a name change, then visit the social security office.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 02:17 PM
 
I'm changing my name from Peter Clark to Peter Starsky
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 02:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I'm changing my name from Peter Clark to Peter Starsky
15 quid. But you need a bloke from your island to witness the signing.

And I reckon that "Hutch" would be a really good first name for you.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vente: Achat
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 02:26 PM
 
What about just having one name like Brazilian soccer players?

"Paully"
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 02:32 PM
 
According to Nolo:
  • You cannot choose a name with fraudulent intent -- meaning you intend to do something illegal. For example, you cannot legally change your name to avoid paying debts, keep from getting sued or get away with a crime.
  • You cannot interfere with the rights of others, which generally means choosing the name of a famous person with the intent to mislead. For example, most judges will not approve your renaming yourself George Bush or William (Bill) Clinton unless you have a convincing reason not related to the famous politicians.
  • You cannot use a name that would be intentionally confusing. This might be a number or punctuation -- for example, "10," "III," or "?."
  • You cannot choose a name that is a racial slur.
  • You cannot choose a name that could be considered a "fighting word," which includes threatening or obscene words, or words likely to incite violence.

So as long as you don't do any of that, you can change your name to whatever.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 02:47 PM
 
Yeah, I just e-mailed down state and I got a response in about 3 minutes.

Since I am only choosing to use my given name differently, it's not a change and therefore I don't have to do anything except start using it and notifying the proper people.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ------>
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 03:08 PM
 
When I was enrolled in school as a kid, they enrolled me using my middle name, which I hate. Outside of school, I was not known by my middle nor first name, but another name that I apparently pulled out of the air. (One day, around the age of 4 or 5 I went to my father and said "My name is Peter." I don't recall doing that, but that's what he told me later on.) After the school years, I stopped using my middle name and just used Peter. Some years later at age 22 I stopped using Peter and started using my first name for the first time in my life.

Got that?

My brother uses his first initial and middle name, perfectly legal. But you know that now.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 08:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Just change your last name, keep the first names.

Brady B. Bananahammer
I like B.B. Bananahammer.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 1999
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 09:50 PM
 
Arthur Leigh Allen, hated his first name and went by Leigh or Lee
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 10:02 PM
 
Karol Aaron is my first and middle. I've gone by Aaron all my life.
I'm the third Karol behind my Father and my Grandfather. In elementary school it was a bit difficult, but by the time I reached high school it was a badge of honor.

My first name is on all my legal stuff, and it's pretty unavoidable. Even when the "Preferred Name" line is filled in, it doesn't seem to get very far. The change is going to be personal and there's not much you can do for bank forms, driver's licenses, or school records. You'll know that you're Brady, and that's all that matters.

If you ask nicely, some people will accommodate it. My Debit card says Aaron on it, no Karol.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 10:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Yeah, I just e-mailed down state and I got a response in about 3 minutes.

Since I am only choosing to use my given name differently, it's not a change and therefore I don't have to do anything except start using it and notifying the proper people.
That's what I was just about to reply. People can use their legal name in any combination they wish. Think about married women who use their maiden name as a middle name when taking their husband's surname. Legally, they can be addressed by either surname if they wish. Some women keep their old surname as a "professional" name, but refer to themselves by their new surname in other contexts.

(Fun Fact: in New York State, both the bride and groom have a "free" name change opportunity when they get married, as long as their new name is derived from one or both of their pre-marriage surnames. I know someone who took his wife's surname as an additional middle name....)
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 10:46 PM
 
When I was about 13, I tried desperately for months to get people to call me by my middle name, Austin, rather than my first name.

Didn't work. I'm still Ryan.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 10:50 PM
 
So the patriots in the superbowl has no bearing on you wanting to be called Brady?
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manch-Vegas, NH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 11:47 PM
 
My first and middle names are Jeffrey Jay (Yes I have the same middle name as home Simpson, how sweet is that!)

I dislike the 'rey' part and have always signed my name as Jeff. Two years ago I was in a car accident where the other driver was drunk and when I got a copy of the police report for my lawyer, It had Jeffrey as my legal name and the then listed Jeff as my 'Alias'...apparently the state thinks I'm a badass
What, me worry?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 12:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
So the patriots in the superbowl has no bearing on you wanting to be called Brady?
I think I just got paul w's post…

<smacks self in the forehead>

Yeah, maybe I should wait…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 12:18 AM
 
Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
My first and middle names are Jeffrey Jay (Yes I have the same middle name as home Simpson, how sweet is that!)

I dislike the 'rey' part and have always signed my name as Jeff. Two years ago I was in a car accident where the other driver was drunk and when I got a copy of the police report for my lawyer, It had Jeffrey as my legal name and the then listed Jeff as my 'Alias'...apparently the state thinks I'm a badass
Either that or they thought you were a hot, slightly-masculine chick.



I know, I know. This joke is struggling, but I still made it.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 12:20 AM
 
My name is completely generic. I visited the doctor last week and there were three of me in his database.

There's probably an army of me out there.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 12:31 AM
 
I've never once met a person named "Face".

It's amazing the cultural differences between there and here!
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 01:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Either that or they thought you were a hot, slightly-masculine chick.

She's a pretender. Here's the original Alias:


Also a hot, slightly masculine chick.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Far above Cayuga's waters.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 02:07 AM
 
thought about about going by james, but found that that's more generic than dan- not to mention that both of my grandfathers have that name and three uncles do as well.

yeah, no.

oh, and for the hell of it- 'dan' quayle is no dan, he's a j. danforth.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 06:29 AM
 
I changed, well, extended my surname.

The intention was to make my surname hyphenated, so my last middle name (I have a few), was my mother's maiden name. However the person the Registry office didn't put the the hyphen in on my Birth certificate. I went to a lawyer and they said that I could just use the name I wanted. But it has led to some complications...

My bank details, Driving license, all qualifications, you name it are in my hyphenated name... apart from my passport, which they point blank refuse to change!

Ah well. I am also wondering, any of you guys named after any one famous? I am apparently named after Marc Bolan (First name Marc, with a c, which was rare in the UK at the time).
     
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Korea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 06:52 AM
 
DO NOT DO THIS! YOU ARE MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE.

A few months ago, I tried to do the same thing. I lived for 28 years as James, and decided to go by Van. The problem is, 28 years is a long time to hear a name multiple times a day. I kept forgetting that I'd changed my name.

A: Van.
Me: ...
A: Van!
Me: ...
A: VAAAN!
Me (sweetly): Yes?

People began to think I was deaf or stupid.

Then sometimes people who knew me by my old name would meet people to whom I'd introduced myself by my middle name. Both groups of people were left wondering if I were an imposter.

Or—worst of all—I'd forget my new name and introduce myself as James when the people with me knew me as Van.

A: Did you just say your name is James?
Me: Yes.
A: But isn't your name Van?
Me: Yes.
A: ...
Me: My name is James but people call me Van.
A: Um, so your name is James but people call you Van?
Me: Yes.
A: Okaaaaaay.

You have been warned.

Disclaimer: All middle and first names have been changed to protect my identity.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 11:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
D
Disclaimer: All middle and first names have been changed to protect my identity.
really?
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 01:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Either that or they thought you were a hot, slightly-masculine chick.



I know, I know. This joke is struggling, but I still made it.
Hot? Slight?
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 02:01 PM
 
My dad has always gone by his middle name. That’s probably because his first name was given to him after his father (a Dutch sailor he’s never met/known), Pier. Pier is a fine name if you’re Dutch, but when you say it as an ignorant Dane (and he grew up on the hickbum island of Mors, so there were plenty of those), it becomes ['pʰi:ɐ], which is exactly how the word piger (‘girls’) is pronounced. Not the best of names for a boy.

So he used his middle name instead: Kelly (named after Grace Kelly). No, Kelly is not a boy’s name in Danish—it’s not a name at all, actually, which is why his mother wasn’t allowed to use it as his official first name. It does sound rather similar to kælling (‘b*tch’, of the non-canine kind), though, which makes it only marginally better than Pier.

And, obviously, we have a fancy-poncy French surname, which both sounds like and means ‘jacket’.

“Hello, my name is Girls B*tch Jacket”.

My father was very popular as a child.


Ah well. I am also wondering, any of you guys named after any one famous? I am apparently named after Marc Bolan (First name Marc, with a c, which was rare in the UK at the time).
Quite the other way around: I’m so famous, I’ve got an entire month named after me.

(My name is Janus—which is quite an uncommon name that’s basically only used in Denmark, Poland, the constituents of the Country Formerly Known as Czechoslovakia, Lithuania, and Hungary—and I’m named after the Roman god of the same name (well, Ianus, anyway), after whom the month of January is named. Ianus had two faces: one in front and one in the back of his head. He was able to see into both the past and the future, and as such became the deity for new beginnings, and also for doors. Ianua (pluralised form) is a word for the entrance into a Roman house, above which a Ianus face would watch over the inside of the house as well as the outside. Same logic with January, the first month of the new year, the month that looks into both the old year and the new year. And same logic for my parents, who envisioned that I would be a divider in their lives, something to tie their ‘old’ lives with their ‘new’ lives. Nice sentiment, terrible name, unfortunately.)
     
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 02:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
My name is completely generic. I visited the doctor last week and there were three of me in his database.

There's probably an army of me out there.
Jim Smith?

Actually, my name is so common that a quick yahoo search of Detroit show up over 200 listings with the same name.

In my home town of 2,500 there were 5 of us. 3 of us had the exact same middle name as well.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 02:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
“Hello, my name is Girls B*tch Jacket”.

My father was very popular as a child.


That story made my day.

-t
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manch-Vegas, NH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 02:43 AM
 
“Hello, my name is Girls B*tch Jacket”.

My father was very popular as a child.
Well at least he wasn't a 'Boy named Sue'.
What, me worry?
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 09:07 AM
 
^ That’s true.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 10:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
When I was about 13, I tried desperately for months to get people to call me by my middle name, Austin, rather than my first name.

Didn't work. I'm still Ryan.
How about that? When I was in College, I tried to get everyone to call me by my middle name- Ryan. Didn't take.
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 11:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
When I was about 13, I tried desperately for months to get people to call me by my middle name, Austin, rather than my first name.

Didn't work. I'm still Ryan.
Good thing, too. Ryan is so much nicer than Austin.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2