Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Webhost MediaLayer

Webhost MediaLayer
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 07:44 AM

I had been using ICDSoft and I was generally pretty happy with them, but my contract is ending next month so I figured I'd look around and see if another web host would be a better fit.

What's great about ICDSoft is there support, I get my problems resolved typically in under 10 minutes. Setting up PHP/MySQL is also a breeze, their control panel is very intuitive. What I didn't like is the fact if you ever wanted to host a second, third, fourth, etc site you had to create a new account for each one. While they gave you a discount for each new account you can see how it could get very expensive if you wanted more then one.

Email/Webmail, another plus for them, in so far as never having email problems and their webmail client (not sure what they use) is very good.

I have a couple of projects waiting in the wings, some personal and some quasi-professional. Sticking with them could have gotten expensive, since I'd need to create multiple accounts.

After researching for the past few months, man there's a gazllion hosting companies, I I think I hit upon a good combination of cost/products/services for my needs. I never heard of them but from I've read they seem pretty solid. I had some normal start up issues, and like ICDSoft they respsonded to my tickets in < 10 minutes. Performance so far is seemingly snappy© but I've not really done any major testing yet.

They use squirrelmail for their webmail client, I'm no fan of that, but only time will tell their email service is as good. Since I still have about a month left on ICDSoft, I can try MediaLayer for the time being and if they do measure up, I'll stick with them.

I know a number of people (like myself) have done searches here on web hosts, I figured I'd add my $.02 here regarding MediaLayer

Forum Links
Forum Rules