Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple now owns a semiconductor company

Apple now owns a semiconductor company
Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 08:15 AM

Apple Buys Chip Designer - Forbes.com

Do you remember these guys? They're the guys who designed a new PowerPC chip and people wondered if Apple could have used it in their laptops, but Apple switched to Intel.

However, methinks that Apple could use PA Semi chips in stuff like the iPod and iPhone.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 23, 2008 at 09:40 AM. )

Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 08:42 AM

Interesting. It seems to be stocked with microprocessor design veterans from all over. They know what they're doing.

A bit of a nit-picky note, though: this is not a semiconductor company. These guys do microprocessor design, but they don't actually make their own chips, they contract that part out to companies like TSMC or a host of other countries in Asia. (I don't know who they actually use). So they're more accurately referred to as a "fabless semiconductor" company, since they have no expensive IC fab to maintain. And Apple has always had chip designers in their company, so the fact that Apple has bought a fabless semiconductor company is not all that novel.

However, I don't mean to knock the purchase; given the type of people working there and the projects they are rumored to be working on, you can expect Apple to come out with some interesting stuff in the next few years based on this technology -- powerful and tiny, with low power consumption. Maybe another PDA?

Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 08:58 AM

The iPod and iPhone are PDAs. There is not enough of a market for Apple to justify releasing a PDA that is only a PDA.

Anyway, I agree with Eug. We will see these chips powering future iPods, iPhones and whatever other not full-fledged computer devices Apple has planned.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
The iPod and iPhone are PDAs. There is not enough of a market for Apple to justify releasing a PDA that is only a PDA.
I know, That's why the was there.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 09:23 AM

Yeah, fabless semiconductor company but semiconductor nonetheless. This is probably better anyway, since Apple really doesn't need to get into the fabbing business. Too much of a headache.

Anyways, one of the weird things about this purchase is that their products are not really appropriate for the iPod or iPhone as of yet. Too much power usage.

P.A. Semi - PWRficient 1682M

They could have new processors in the pipeline though.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 10:17 AM

PWRficient PA6T-1682M 64-bit dual-core processor

7 Watts per core
SPECint2000 = 1000 <-- Roughly the speed of a 2.8 GHz P4
SPECfp2000 = 1500 <-- Roughly the speed of a 3.4 GHz P4E.

P.S. The founder of P.A. Semi was involved in StrongARM design, and Apple used an ARM chip in the Apple Newton.

Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 10:25 AM

I could see Apple using these processors in larger mobile products (ie, something in between the iPhone and MBA). Why they want to do that, I don't know...
Signature depreciated.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The founder of P.A. Semi was involved in StrongARM design, and Apple used an ARM chip in the Apple Newton.
I forgot to mention that the leader (besides Jobs) in the acquisition process was Tony Fadell, who just happens to be senior VP of the iPod group at Apple.

Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 10:55 AM

Great news.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 10:58 AM

So, does this mean we have to worry about migrating to another architecture or what?

Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:01 AM

Yes, PPC is back! WOOt. In your face Mactel lovers.

Not really. This seems to be a purchase pretty strongly linked to Apple's handheld platform. OTOH, this company was producing PPC designs so, hey, one can dream, right?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
So, does this mean we have to worry about migrating to another architecture or what?
Well, the existing architecture at PA Semi is PowerPC, which Apple already supports.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yes, PPC is back! WOOt. In your face Mactel lovers.

Not really. This seems to be a purchase pretty strongly linked to Apple's handheld platform. OTOH, this company was producing PPC designs so, hey, one can dream, right?
Yeah, dream about PPC handhelds.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 11:16 AM

You know what I mean.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:20 AM

You know what I mean.
Actually I didn't. Were you making a joke? Or was it an honest question?

If the former, I obviously didn't get it.
If the latter, I don't really know. They could stick with PPC, or I suppose they could possibly develop other low power chips based on different architectures. If they stuck with PPC, I wonder if that'd make it easier for Apple to expand the iPhone/iPod platform.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 11:23 AM

No, not a joke. Sure, Apple still supports PPC, but since all their manufactured hardware runs on intel, I'd consider that a migration if they went back to PPC.

Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:26 AM

PPC4Ever.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:32 AM

No, not a joke. Sure, Apple still supports PPC, but since all their manufactured hardware runs on intel, I'd consider that a migration if they went back to PPC.
The iPhone/iPod doesn't run on Intel. It's ARM/Xscale, which is (now) Marvell.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 11:33 AM

Computer Hardware. Geez.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:41 AM

Computer Hardware. Geez.
Even in my first post I said that the acquisition may have much more to do with the iPod/iPhone platform than computer hardware.

I don't think Apple will consider using PA Semi stuff for its laptops or desktops. It could theoretically for a low end laptop, but I don't really see any reason to do so. It make much more sense to just stick with Intel for that.

However, for a set top box (like AppleTV), a derivative or that chip could be used, but I'm not counting on that either.

The most likely target would be the iPhone/iPod platform. Yeah it could be a "migration" from ARM/Xscale to PPC for that platform, but I do wonder if having PPC there might make things easier since they have so much experience with PPC already. Plus, they could taylor the chip design much better than if they used 3rd party chips.

Or perhaps, PA Semi could design a chip based on the ARM arch. The CEO of PA Semi is very experienced at this.

Professional Poster

whatever apple ends up doing with this will I'm sure be cool. It also means that the competition will have a harder time catching up.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Mac Elite

Computer Hardware. Geez.
No one's talkinga bout these chips replacing Intel chips inside macs. That's going to stay.

The article says that they see these chips being developed for the new "handheld computing platform," the iPod touch and iPhone. They aren't turning their backs on Intel for their macs.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 11:46 AM

Even in my first post I said that the acquisition may have much more to do with the iPod/iPhone platform than computer hardware.

I don't think Apple will consider using PA Semi stuff for its laptops or desktops. It could theoretically for a low end laptop, but I don't really see any reason to do so. It make much more sense to just stick with Intel for that.

However, for a set top box (like AppleTV), a derivative or that chip could be used, but I'm not counting on that either.

The most likely target would be the iPhone/iPod platform. Yeah it could be a "migration" from ARM/Xscale to PPC for that platform, but I do wonder if having PPC there might make things easier since they have so much experience with PPC already. Plus, they could taylor the chip design much better than if they used 3rd party chips.
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
No one's talkinga bout these chips replacing Intel chips inside macs. That's going to stay.

The article says that they see these chips being developed for the new "handheld computing platform," the iPod touch and iPhone. They aren't turning their backs on Intel for their macs.
Okay. I did catch the part about mobile platforms but since I don't follow this stuff, I wasn't 100% sure that meant it would only affect that.

Moderator Emeritus
Apr 23, 2008, 01:33 PM

PPC4Ever.

Sweet, sweet vindication.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 02:16 PM

Anyone here get the Newton logo engraved on their iPhone or iPod Touch yet?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 02:28 PM

Do you remember these guys? They're the guys who designed a new PowerPC chip and people wondered if Apple could have used it in their laptops, but Apple switched to Intel.
Weird for once I don't remember that. Anyone have more background?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Weird for once I don't remember that. Anyone have more background?
P.A. Semi's major PowerPC announcement, and looking back at The Switch
Apple shunned superstar chip start-up for Intel | The Register

Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 07:44 PM

PWRficient PA6T-1682M 64-bit dual-core processor

7 Watts per core
SPECint2000 = 1000 <-- Roughly the speed of a 2.8 GHz P4
SPECfp2000 = 1500 <-- Roughly the speed of a 3.4 GHz P4E.
Or the more relevant comparison for 2007:
SPECint2000 = 1000 <-- Roughly the speed of a 900Mhz ULV C2D
SPECfp2000 = 1500 <-- Roughly the speed of a 1.4 GHz ULV C2D
ULV C2D run at 5W per core.

Fail.

Administrator
Apr 23, 2008, 11:53 PM

A PowerPC processor that uses less power (hopefully less than a Core X Duo), is faster, and capable of being produced in huge quantities would be a very cool thing indeed. Right now Intel is sitting pretty, with AMD just poking at them. They NEED competition, and WE need them to have competition. For everyone's benefit, really, but for the consumer most of all.

I hope this spins into something revolutionary.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2008, 01:16 AM

EETimes.com - DoD may push back on Apple's P.A. Semi bid

"P.A. Semi customers were told the acquiring company was not interested in the startup's products or road map, but is buying the company for its intellectual property and engineering talent."

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 01:22 AM

PPC4Ever.

Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 12:24 PM

EETimes.com - DoD may push back on Apple's P.A. Semi bid

"P.A. Semi customers were told the acquiring company was not interested in the startup's products or road map, but is buying the company for its intellectual property and engineering talent."
Since PA Semi doesn't actually produce the chips, and Apple isn't interested in the chip designs, I don't see this as a big issue. Sell the chip design to a fab or another company so they can continue to sell the chip to the DoD while Apple runs away with the PA staff and IP.

Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 03:38 PM

PPC4Ever.
HELL YES!

Why does nobody mention Apple's former daughter company (sort of) ARM? Only young whippersnappers around? This is somewhat the repetition.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 03:48 PM

I think apple is just wants them to develop their own chips for use in the iPhone as the CPU is a huge cost for them. If they can get it at cost the 250 mil they spent will pay off in no time.

No way are they going to use these chips in laptops and switch us all back to PPC again.

Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 04:27 PM

I think apple is just wants them to develop their own chips for use in the iPhone as the CPU is a huge cost for them. If they can get it at cost the 250 mil they spent will pay off in no time.
iPhone CPU less than$18.50 (iSuppli estimate Jan/2007). PA Semi doesn't actually fab the chips, so even after Apple buys PA Semi, they still have to pay another company to fab them. While your idea may be profitable when they sell a hundred million units, the ROI looks pretty poor. And then of course there are Apple's comments that they just want the people and the IP, not the products.

No way are they going to use these chips in laptops and switch us all back to PPC again.
Absolutely not, given the power/performance comparison I provided above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules