Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New boat.

New boat. (Page 4)
Baninated
Jul 2, 2010, 05:08 PM

It's totally sealed. The marine ply has treatment to resist rot... but it doesn't stick as well. Considering the floor is serving structural purposes, I chose to go with the normal stuff. The bottom is all resin, the top will be resin, glass cloth, and more resin. Any hole will be drilled out larger than normal, filled with resin, then screwed into so moisture will not have a chance at entering it.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2010, 05:29 PM

Marine grade is made with no voids or gaps in the wood, and is laminated with waterproof glue between the layers. Exterior grade plywood is not laminated with waterproof glue, it will have voids in the layers, and once you seal it with glass/resin, you are trapping whatever moister is inside in, which will deteriorate the glue holding the plies together. You're going to start feeling soft spots in the deck in a year or two. Again, there's a reason they don't use building grade materials for boats. Marine grade materials are made specifically for marine uses for a reason. If you are going to do it, why not do it right? Some things are worth not cutting corners.

Anyway Rob, I wan't able to talk with that guy to ask about your stinger. Last week he was at his grandson's graduation. I'll try and catch up with him at the marina this weekend.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Baninated
Jul 2, 2010, 06:13 PM

Yeah, I don't know, I've read on a lot of boat forums that if you get high quality ply without voids, and keep it dry, it lasts fine.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Yeah, I saw that thread about a week ago. Wow. That guy blew 100k, easy. Pretty spectacular build up, though I don't agree with his interior choices... what's weird is that my boat is already fused together without a rubstrip like that. I'm not sure if it's stock, or someone did that later. Either way, it's pretty nice looking.
That boat is absolutely stunning..... pretty crazy
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Baninated
Jul 9, 2010, 01:37 PM

Painted the engine compartment last night. I used a Rustoleum can of hammered charcoal gray. I think it looks really nice, the hammered finish helps even out the uneven surfaces, and it is slightly metallic which provides a lot of depth to the floor. Also painted the tunnels again since they got kind of messed up during the floor install.

Getting a can of white tonight, going to paint the transom and inside walls along the boat so that my interior lighting shines a bit more than usual.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2010, 03:04 PM

More boobs!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Baninated
Jul 19, 2010, 11:45 PM

Lookie what I found:

Fully jacketed polished stainless Stellings brand headers. Retail is over $7k on these guys. Nifty.

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 20, 2010, 10:30 AM

Shiny.

Baninated
Jul 22, 2010, 02:54 AM

Some updated photos. Got delayed due to girlfriend/car accident stuff. Interior is all painted. Carpet is in, but not glued yet, nor does it have the access panels cut out yet.

Engine will be coming together this weekend. Have so many cool parts for it.

Carpet was pulled out of a dumpster behind a Sherwin Williams. Free= awesome.

Does anybody have any ideas for securing the gas tanks? They were originally glassed into the boat, but that looked like shit. Definitely up for some new ideas, so please chime in!

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2010, 02:59 AM

Silicone? Cue Doofy

Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2010, 08:37 AM

I'd get outdoor carpeting with drainage "lumps" underneath. If that's regular indoor carpet, it will gank up quicker than you can tear it out.

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 22, 2010, 09:38 AM

Some updated photos. Got delayed due to girlfriend/car accident stuff.
FYL allcaps

Baninated
Jul 22, 2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'd get outdoor carpeting with drainage "lumps" underneath. If that's regular indoor carpet, it will gank up quicker than you can tear it out.
Not sure what you mean... go on.....

Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2010, 10:45 AM

Baninated
Jul 22, 2010, 12:33 PM

Weird, never seen that. Not really sure how I'd glue it down with those lumps.

Administrator
Jul 22, 2010, 08:14 PM

The lumps get glued down, which keeps the carpet elevated enough to drain but provides enough support for the carpet for walking. It's typically kind of springy feeling, like indoor carpet with a very thick pad.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2010, 08:30 PM

I've never tried gluing it down (I had it in my last bathroom, and now on the balcony), but I can't imagine it would be too difficult.

Thing is, though, I'm not sure I'd glue it down at all - carpet gets wet and dirty, and all sorts of gunk collects within/beneath (in this case), so there's a definite advantage to just being able to pull and toss it after a few years - especially since this stuff starts at like €5 per two square meters, or something.

It dries out really, really fast.

Baninated
Jul 23, 2010, 02:05 AM

Are you guys talking about that plastic crap on pontoon boats that scratches your feet?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2010, 03:01 AM

I applaud your bold and exciting use of non-traditional and non-marine grade materials.

May I suggest paper-mâché for securing the gas tanks.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2010, 05:37 AM

Lol!!

Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2010, 09:52 AM

Using indoor carpeting in a boat - you might wish to rethink this idea.

Baninated
Jul 23, 2010, 01:57 PM

I think you guys don't even know what you are talking about. I've never been on a boat outside of some shitty pontoon boat that has had that shitty plastic indoor outdoor stuff. Most sport boats have real carpet. Go get a ride in a ski nautique or baja or something. They don't have that plastic crap.

Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 02:09 PM

I dunno, Rob, but it looks to me like they just don't have the plastic crap YOU'RE thinking of:
marine-grade carpet - Google-Suche

including
Choosing Marine Carpet Easily For Your Boat
Regular marine grade carpet is a UV stabilized piece of carpet made from polypropylene. Polypropylene is a material which is considered an engineered plastic. Meaning that not only will your marine carpet not stain but it is also mold resistant. Another benefit of marine grade carpet is that many manufacturers include a rubberized backing. This is perfect for snap-in carpet because not only can air flow throughout the bottom of it, but also help stabilize the carpet inside the boat without the need for snaps. Marine carpet also comes without the rubberized backing for glued down applications. Marine carpet usually comes in widths of 6 ft, 8 ft, and 12 ft.

Another option many people go with is indoor outdoor carpet. This can be beneficial because it isn't labeled with the "marine" tag which often costs much more money. There are many different styles and more options of indoor outdoor compared to marine carpet. Indoor outdoor is often UV protected and mold resistant as well. However, indoor outdoor carpet usually has a plastic look compared to marine carpet. Careful when ordering indoor outdoor types for your boat as some comes with a latex backing which will break down when water is repeatedly placed onto it. Indoor outdoor carpet usually comes in widths 12 ft and 15 ft but can sometimes be found in widths of 8 ft.

Lastly, the option of placing regular home carpet on your boat is available. This type of rug is rarely UV protected as well as almost always having a latex backing. This type is available in nylon (easily stained), wool, and polypropylene as well as others. Using regular carpet should always be a last option because it will rarely last longer than a couple of months when exposed to the environment. If you want the carpet on your boat to last a long time and always looking beautiful it is best to choose a marine grade carpet. However, if the carpet is to be glued down; indoor outdoor carpet is always an option.

Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2010, 05:48 PM

unless he plans on leaving his boat out in a weekend long storm; carpet in the boat isn't going to get that wet. he isn't sport fishing out of it; he isn't water skiing out of it with people getting in/out hours on end.

the carpet he grabbed will be fine.

i wouldn't bother gluing it down. strips on the edges that can be easily removed in case you want to power wash the carpet/air dry at the end of the year before putting it way will be fine.

Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2010, 06:02 PM

I think you guys don't even know what you are talking about. I've never been on a boat outside of some shitty pontoon boat that has had that shitty plastic indoor outdoor stuff. Most sport boats have real carpet. Go get a ride in a ski nautique or baja or something. They don't have that plastic crap.
Real carpet for boats = marine grade carpet. Your boat is becoming an exercise in cutting corners.

You're installing indoor carpet in a damp environment, without mould protection, without stain protection, without a waterproof backing. If you glue this down you'll have to rip your entire, also not marine grade, floor out of your boat in no time at all.

I lived on a boat for a year. A proper boat. You'll be amazed how virulent mould can be.

Baninated
Jul 23, 2010, 07:11 PM

Yeah, I think it'll be fine. I think it's weird that there are more boat experts here than boat experts at OffshoreOnly or Scream And Fly Magazine - Home.

Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 07:39 PM

Oh, I'm sorry.

Is this the "Rob's Blog" subsection of MacNN? Did you just forget to disable comments?

I may have stated earlier that I haven't the slightest ****ing clue about boats, but oddly it took me less than five minutes to find out who owns the intellectual property behind your boat, and who might be a good place to start asking about the stringer.

Also oddly, it took me less than thirty seconds to confirm my hunch that indoor carpet might be a bad idea on a boat.

Fact is, Rob, that you yourself are BY NO MEANS a ****ing "boat expert", yourself. A ****ing knowitall is not an "expert".

May you enjoy living in your rotting hulk of a boat should you ever become homeless and single.

Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2010, 07:48 PM

Spheric is right.

Rob, you are the MOST condescending, BIGGEST knowitall about every random subject you get into.

You get into fixing a boat and all of a sudden you are king boat man. People talk about car problems and you call them idiots for not jacking it up themselves and fixing the problem. You have the best stereos, with the best home-made center channel. You are the end-all be-all on dozens of subjects, and I have a phrase for that. Jack of all trades master of none, that's you.

Somehow, despite being an intelligent young man, you are the most close-minded intolerant individual I have ever met.

Yet, you KEEP POSTING HERE!

Why? Aren't we all just a bunch of know-nothings to you anyways? Why do you seek our approval at every turn, every project? You'll show what you are working on, people make comments and then you turn into a 5 year old.

Ridiculous.

BTW using regular carpet and untreated wood is a recipe for rot. But what do I know, I'm not a construction expert...Oh wait!

Baninated
Jul 23, 2010, 08:56 PM

Oh, I'm sorry.

I may have stated earlier that I haven't the slightest ****ing clue about boats, but oddly it took me less than five minutes to find out who owns the intellectual property behind your boat, and who might be a good place to start asking about the stringer.
Uh, and like I said last time, I HAD ALREADY READ IT. It's one of the only pieces of info that comes up when you google sleekcraft. Do you think I would buy a boat without learning anything about it? At all? As for the stringer, I have books on boat construction, and nowhere in any of them does it say it's a good idea to have space under the main stringer (or any stringer). As for me, I grew up around boating and helping my dad with all his boats. I am not claiming to be an expert, and I appreciate your ideas, but sometimes I have already considered them. Just because you present an idea and I disagree with it does not mean I think you are an idiot, but when I respond to it constructively and tell you why I agree or disagree, you need to not learn to take me disagreeing with you personally.

Cheers!

Baninated
Jul 23, 2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Spheric is right.

Rob, you are the MOST condescending, BIGGEST knowitall about every random subject you get into.

You get into fixing a boat and all of a sudden you are king boat man.
No I'm not. I still haven't figured out how to secure the gas tanks yet. Any ideas? Or the battery boxes. Any ideas? Or the carpet. Any ideas?

People talk about car problems and you call them idiots for not jacking it up themselves and fixing the problem.
Um, noooooo. I was responding to Andi Pandi, who said that most people's idea of "taking care of a car" is changing the oil. And I said most people are idiots. Which they are. 50% of the population is of below average intelligence. They do not care for things very well, thus their shit does not last. Mine does, because, TADA, I know how to take care of my shit.

You have the best stereos, with the best home-made center channel.
When have I ever said anything remotely like this? I will paypal you $50 if you can find me saying that I have the best stereo, or the best center channel. I'm not even happy with my center channel's sound. It's OKAY, but not great by any means. Actually, **** it. I will paypal you $150 if you can find where I said that, otherwise man up and admit that YOU are the one speaking bullshit here.

BTW using regular carpet and untreated wood is a recipe for rot. But what do I know, I'm not a construction expert...Oh wait!
I've already responded to this before. MARINE PLY DOES NOT BOND WELL TO RESIN. The anti-rot treatment which repels water also prevents the resin from soaking into the wood, which means the bond is weaker. The floor is also sealed with 2 coats of resin on the underside and edges, and 3 layers of fiberglass and resin on the top. The holes I will drill into it to mount the seats will be drilled large, then filled with resin, then drilled small to mount the screws. Thus water will not enter even through there. Furthermore, I'm not sure where you guys think all this water is going to be coming from. This is not a ****ing submarine. It's a boat. The inside of a boat generally stays dry, unless you flip it over. I don't plan on doing that. I don't plan on boating during a rain storm. I don't plan on filling up the interior with water for fun. So please, expert construction worker with your mighty wisdom, explain exactly HOW my boat's interior is going to be subject to so much moisture, and how the moisture is going to enter into the floor.

Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 09:20 PM

Wow, this has got to be the 1st boat thread that ends up in the PWL. Congrats, everyone

-t

Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 09:55 PM

And I said most people are idiots. Which they are. 50% of the population is of below average intelligence.
I sincerely hope that what you did there was intentional, and not stupidity.

Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 10:03 PM

I sincerely hope that what you did there was intentional, and not stupidity.
Maybe he's in the 3rd quartile, which makes him above average, but still an idiot ?

-t

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2010, 10:09 PM

“How will water get into my boat??? Please help” Um, your boat has an open area on top right? Water gets in there, indoor carpet doesn’t dry out fully, yadda yadda, over time it’ll seep into the non marine grade lumber you used, and will cause rot. Common knowledge.

Oh, and don’t forget about why putting carpet in bathrooms/shower areas is a bad idea too.

Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2010, 10:19 PM

this is a great thread. hahaha.

Baninated
Jul 23, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
“How will water get into my boat??? Please help” Um, your boat has an open area on top right? Water gets in there,
HOW? My other boat, which is much smaller and lower, I used that one all last summer. Know how many times water got inside it? ZERO. So please explain how the **** water is getting inside the boat.

indoor carpet doesn’t dry out fully
Holy crap, really? You mean if I spill anything inside my house it will be wet forever? Even in the sun, when it's warm out, where >gasp< a boat is used?!

over time it’ll seep into the non marine grade lumber you used,
How? Did you not read the part about me putting 2 coats of resin on the bottom/edges and 3 layers of resin/FG on the top complete with resined in mounting locations? Did you not read that at all? Because it seems like you didn't.

Seriously. What is going on right now. I think there is a SEVERE case of retard infecting everyone.

Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 10:56 PM

Uh, and like I said last time, I HAD ALREADY READ IT. It's one of the only pieces of info that comes up when you google sleekcraft.
Really?
Thanks for the info! I knew sleekcraft had some connection with Magic Powerboats, but I also heard that Sleekcraft closed it's doors in 2009, which is pretty unfortunate, since it was such an old boat company. Too bad.
That sounds a little different.

Do you think I would buy a boat without learning anything about it? At all?
Why, yes. Yes, I do.

In fact, I believe that taking on stuff you have no idea about and making it work, while "asking" and then completely ignoring or even correcting people who may or may not actually KNOW what they are talking about (a.k.a. "boasting"), is quite the way you roll.

Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 11:08 PM

How? Did you not read the part about me putting 2 coats of resin on the bottom/edges and 3 layers of resin/FG on the top complete with resined in mounting locations? Did you not read that at all? Because it seems like you didn't.
Since you won't be going swimming or doing anything involving water other than sitting in your boat in the sun, moisture from above won't be a problem, especially since I hear water in the Great Lakes doesn't splash, and rain doesn't get wet there either.

Which leaves the residual moisture in the wood, which is now sealed with no way to escape and may soften/rot the (non-marine-grade) wood. Which will get trampled by you and whomever else, leading to cracks in the resin coating allowing more moisture (that will find no way into your boat since you won't be using it near water) to enter after it's been trapped under your non-draining indoor carpet that is now disintegrating due to its backing being kept moist.

You might have taken the clue from the mildewed seats.

BTW, have you ever seen what happens to large objects kept near bodies of water at dawn?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew

Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2010, 11:18 PM

BTW, have you ever seen what happens to large objects kept near bodies of water at dawn?
Dew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I enjoyed the section on artificial dew harvesting. Sounds like that would be pretty sweet in an arid coastal climate. Free water! It also reminded me of Dune. That is my post.

Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 12:32 AM

50% of the population is of below average intelligence.
That's f***ing HILARIOUS.

News flash Rob - you are not as smart as you think you are.

When have I ever said anything remotely like this? I will paypal you $50 if you can find me saying that I have the best stereo, or the best center channel. I'm not even happy with my center channel's sound. It's OKAY, but not great by any means. Actually, **** it. I will paypal you $150 if you can find where I said that, otherwise man up and admit that YOU are the one speaking bullshit here.
I was going to help Sek searching. Mind providing a list of the 100s of usernames you have posted under here?
2.3GHz i7 15" Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013)

Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2010, 12:47 AM

Why do boats have bilge pumps?

Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2010, 12:53 AM

Because people keep flipping them over?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2010, 12:54 AM

Because whales keep flipping them over?

Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2010, 12:56 AM

Because whales keep flipping over them?

(are there whales in the Great Lakes? Like, even one?)

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2010, 12:57 AM

Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2010, 03:40 AM

I totally agree with spheric...

that said, the forum rules should state " no threads about other members but ca$h"

because when someone keeps coming back for beating after beating it's just funny...

this boat will become a whole new version of fail boat...

-Zach

Baninated
Jul 24, 2010, 05:38 AM

Since you won't be going swimming or doing anything involving water other than sitting in your boat in the sun, moisture from above won't be a problem, especially since I hear water in the Great Lakes doesn't splash, and rain doesn't get wet there either.

Which leaves the residual moisture in the wood, which is now sealed with no way to escape and may soften/rot the (non-marine-grade) wood. Which will get trampled by you and whomever else, leading to cracks in the resin coating allowing more moisture (that will find no way into your boat since you won't be using it near water) to enter after it's been trapped under your non-draining indoor carpet that is now disintegrating due to its backing being kept moist.

You might have taken the clue from the mildewed seats.

Dew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great lakes? WTF? I am using this in Lake Monona. Are you ASSuming something? Because I'm not going to any of the great lakes with this boat.

The floor was put outside during the day for 2 days, ONLY DURING THE DAY, to dry out the wood from storage, which was indoors. Cracks in the resin?

Mildewed seats? You mean because it was left outside for 5+ years without a cover?

Yeah. It's totally going to fail. You guys know WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than all the people at offshoreonly.com and screamandfly.com combined.

Baninated
Jul 24, 2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
I totally agree with spheric...

that said, the forum rules should state " no threads about other members but ca$h"

because when someone keeps coming back for beating after beating it's just funny...

this boat will become a whole new version of fail boat...

-Zach
Remember when I talked about neons? Then you posted that I was right? Just making sure you remember that. Because I'm going to post the **** out of my boat the next few years when it works fine, and it makes all these armchair experts who:

1. Did not grow up with boats
2. Do not own a boat
3. Get offended when I don't listen to their ****ing retarded opinions about aspects I'm not even asking them about

WEIRD.

Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 09:25 AM

can`t see the forest for the trees

many of you need to read above and understand it.

rob, the carpet is fine. like i said, don't glue it down though. furring strips of metal would be best to keep it from curling up/coming away from the edges and still allow you to clean it when needed.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2010, 09:35 AM

This is not a ****ing submarine. It's a boat.
Famous last words.

But seriously, nice boat. Enjoy it. And even if it goes all Titanic on yo' ass, well, as long as you've had your moneys worth of fun...

Forum Links
Forum Rules