Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is truth about buying eyeglasses

What is truth about buying eyeglasses
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2011, 03:27 AM

I am hoping that someone in the know could help me with these questions about purchasing prescriptions lenses and frames. While I would like information about both, I am really concerned about the cost/quality of the lenses. Thanks in advance for taking the time and sharing your experiences and expertise.

I now have to wear my glasses more and more, the older I get. I am using Progressive Bi-focals. What is most important for me is that the prescription is correct, second is the cost, which is very important also, but I wouldn't want to ever sacrifice quality and accuracy for cost.
  • Except for my local Lens Crafters, all send out the the prescriptions for the lenses to be made off-site. I hate that feeling of not knowing where the heck the lenses are made. I would think that some are better than others. What are your thoughts. How long should I expect it to take for lenses to come back?
  • There is no standard sizes for eye glass lenses, how can anyone order frames online? Especially when you can't try them on ?
  • PLEASE give me recommendations. Are eyeglasses that are shipped out by Costco, Sams, Target, Wal-Mart, or any of those cheepee retail stores worth it ? Do discount stores use lower quality labs to get lower priced lenses ?
  • I was very disappointed with my last pair of eyeglasses, that I purchased, in the little store my Optometrist has, because of their lack of durability and my lenses failing out. Is there a difference between companies when it comes to the warranty on the frames ?
( Last edited by jolo100; Oct 22, 2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: making neater)

Forum Links
Forum Rules