Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Idiots on airplanes

Idiots on airplanes
Thread Tools
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 11:38 AM
 
Why ? I mean, why the hell ?

Those people sitting behind you, who use your headrest as a means to pull themselves out of their seat, jerking you around like crazy.

So f*cking annoying.

[/rant]

-t
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:00 PM
 
Maybe you were reclined too far.
     
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Korea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:17 PM
 
I hate flying.

As Orson Welles said, "There are only two emotions on a plane: boredom and terror."
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:25 PM
 
Yeah, on my next trip to Europe, I'm going to take the Steamliner

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:31 PM
 
King of the world!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Back in the Good Ole US of A
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:35 PM
 
I don't blame the people... I blame the airlines. The rows are so close together these days it's impossible not to disturb the person in front of you when getting up out of your seat.
     
-Q-
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:36 PM
 
My "favorite" are the people who slam their seat back when they recline as if those extra 3 inches of space were the difference between their living and dying on the plane. A simple look behind them before the recline would save them a whole lot of bad karma.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:38 PM
 
^ Far worse than grabbing the seat to get up.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I don't blame the people... I blame the airlines. The rows are so close together these days it's impossible not to disturb the person in front of you when getting up out of your seat.
Not true. I was sitting in Economy Plus (United), there is plenty of space.

People are just too f*cking stupid to push themselves up their own armrest, rather than pulling themselves up by the front headrest. Inconsiderate bunch of morons.

-t
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:40 PM
 
Th easiest way to push yourself out with armrest to lean forward. Leaning forward isn't the easiest thing to see in an airplane, particularly if the seat in front of you has reclined.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Why ? I mean, why the hell ?

Those people sitting behind you, who use your headrest as a means to pull themselves out of their seat, jerking you around like crazy.

So f*cking annoying.

[/rant]

-t
I'd get all medieval on their ass.

I once had a 14hr flight next to a woman with an unusually low threshold of comedic resistance- every frickin thing she thought was funny was met with loud guffaws. Guffaws, I tell you, guffaws.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Not true. I was sitting in Economy Plus (United), there is plenty of space.

People are just too f*cking stupid to push themselves up their own armrest, rather than pulling themselves up by the front headrest. Inconsiderate bunch of morons.

-t
When that happens, put your hand on theirs and look lustily into their eyes.

Problem solved, I guarantee you.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
My "favorite" are the people who slam their seat back when they recline as if those extra 3 inches of space were the difference between their living and dying on the plane. A simple look behind them before the recline would save them a whole lot of bad karma.
I have this rarely happen (I fly to Europe once a month).

And it's really only a problem when you have drink on your tray table. Otherwise, you won't really notice that much, unless you have your knees firmly planted against the seat in front of you (another complete NO GO, which deserves to be punished by sudden reclining.)

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
When that happens, put your hand on theirs and look lustily into their eyes.

Problem solved, I guarantee you.
Until the air marshall tackles you for suspecting a horny terrorist.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
When that happens, put your hand on theirs and look lustily into their eyes.

Problem solved, I guarantee you.
Yes, that would've scared her straight. However, there is always a chance that she may like the idea...
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Back in the Good Ole US of A
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Not true. I was sitting in Economy Plus (United), there is plenty of space.

People are just too f*cking stupid to push themselves up their own armrest, rather than pulling themselves up by the front headrest. Inconsiderate bunch of morons.

-t
Nah.. you're just grumpy... lighten up... plenty of more important things in life to worry about.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Until the air marshall tackles you for suspecting a horny terrorist.

-t
No one will grab the back of the flight attendant seat you've been zip-tied into.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 12:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Nah.. you're just grumpy... lighten up... plenty of more important things in life to worry about.
Damn your elephant brain

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
 
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 03:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Unless you have your knees firmly planted against the seat in front of you (another complete NO GO, which deserves to be punished by sudden reclining.)
Well that's not terribly nice! People who suddenly recline, despite the fact that there is no room to do so, deserve to be punished by having pointy objects jammed into their seat back.

AISLE WARFARE!1!!!!!!1!!

(I am 6ft tall, there is nowhere else for my knees to be.)
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 03:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well that's not terribly nice! People who suddenly recline, despite the fact that there is no room to do so, deserve to be punished by having pointy objects jammed into their seat back.

AISLE WARFARE!1!!!!!!1!!

(I am 6ft tall, there is nowhere else for my knees to be.)
If your legs are too long, you gotta check them with your luggage.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 04:48 PM
 
Oh, hai, not flying first class?

Then stfu. Srsly.
No, really. To borrow a phrase from the great Louis C.K., you're in a chair, in the sky. Stop bitching because someone within 3 feet of you made their presence felt. Chill out, grasshopper;eat some peanuts, have a beer, watch a movie, and step the hell out onto a new continent.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 04:55 PM
 
Finally some sound advice

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 05:22 PM
 
Nobody gives a fook anymore. Nobody ever thinks about other people, the consequences of their actions, the implications or anything other than how much of a twat House was in the latest episode.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 06:39 PM
 
I don't understand why people are perfectly decent on trains and buses, but jerks on planes and cars. For me, flying is a relaxing experience. I've never been harassed by TSA, but probably because I always smile and tell them good morning, instead of act grouchy towards someone who doesn't set government policy. I say hello and thank you to flight attendants and make small talk. And I've not had a terrible experience yet. Imagine that.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 06:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Oh, hai, not flying first class?

Then stfu. Srsly.
Worth. Every. Penny.

I wish someone would launch a "1% airline". Something like ultra-premium First Class. I think I've tried them all and Delta's is my favorite (and Qantus, but WTF only to Aussie land). Chartering is okay, but some of those small jets make me a little nervous.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 07:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I wish someone would launch a "1% airline". Something like ultra-premium First Class.
You've tried them all and Delta are your favorite? You clearly haven't been on Emirates or Etihad.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You've tried them all and Delta are your favorite? You clearly haven't been on Emirates or Etihad.
No connections to my local airport, does look nice, though. I wonder if the attendants wear burkas?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 07:29 PM
 
No. They wear the hijab, but not a burqa.
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 08:10 PM
 
The planes they show on Pan-Am look amazingly spacious and comfortable.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 09:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The planes they show on Pan-Am look amazingly spacious and comfortable.
And they kept the same flight attendants until the very end

-t
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2011, 09:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Worth. Every. Penny.

I wish someone would launch a "1% airline". Something like ultra-premium First Class. I think I've tried them all and Delta's is my favorite (and Qantas, but WTF only to Aussie land). Chartering is okay, but some of those small jets make me a little nervous.
It was called Concorde.

Shad - did you get a chance to fly on it before it was retired?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 12:18 AM
 
Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
It was called Concorde.

Shad - did you get a chance to fly on it before it was retired?
I had the opportunity back in 2002, but at the time it was financially... unwise. With round-trip tickets costing $10k each, it was quite expensive. Thinking back, I wish I'd just decided to do it anyway, there were times when I was too frugal for my own good.

Looking at the layout, it looks like it would have been about the same as flying business class with other carriers. The nice parts about the flights being that they were well catered and, of course, very short.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 01:08 AM
 
Concorde has a very tight interior. It's about the same as a CRJ-700 or Q400. To give you an idea, those windows are about the size of your hand with fingers together (not spread out).

     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 01:21 AM
 
Dude... How big's your hand?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 01:48 AM
 
Subego, are you asking Mitch for a date?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 02:12 AM
 
Screening process.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 02:30 AM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Oh, hai, not flying first class?

Then stfu. Srsly.
Indeed, the person behind you shouldn't be able to reach your seat from the seated position.


Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Chartering is okay, but some of those small jets make me a little nervous.
Why would you charter a small jet instead of a large one?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 03:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why would you charter a small jet instead of a large one?
A few reasons. 1.) Price. A 747 is roughly $12k to charter /hour, a Gulfstream G200 is @$3,000. 2.) That's a whole lot of wasted room for just a few people. 3.) That's a whole lot of fuel to burn for just transporting us. I'm not a huge eco-nut, but my wife would have a screaming fit.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 03:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Those people sitting behind you, who use your headrest as a means to pull themselves out of their seat, jerking you around like crazy.
I have never had this happen to me.

I haven't done much international flying, but the aircraft in Canada are sufficiently roomy, even with the guy in front of me fully reclined. I have never felt the need to upgrade to first class just for a little leg room, and I'm 6' tall.

I would never, ever fly without a music player, though.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 04:00 AM
 
It also depends on the length of your flight, right? It isn't hard to put up with just about anything for an hour or so.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 04:12 AM
 
You could be right, I might complain if I were flying across the ocean, but Toronto to Vancouver isn't short either.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 05:57 AM
 
Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I haven't done much international flying, but the aircraft in Canada are sufficiently roomy, even with the guy in front of me fully reclined. I have never felt the need to upgrade to first class just for a little leg room, and I'm 6' tall.
This is one of those things that people seem to mis-understand, the airline company decides the seating arrangement, not Boeing or Airbus (or whoever). No insult intended, but American companies tend to put in less seats than Chinese companies on the same aircraft - from someone who works at Airbus and does the final handovers to clients.

------------------

My dad (the lucky bastard) has a clause that he only flies business or first class to goto his clients (South East Asia, Middle East and South America ATM). He has to goto Iran (yeah I know I don't like the idea either) for the first time, wonder who he'll fly with. He rates Emirates, although you can't always get booze.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 06:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I don't blame the people... I blame the airlines. The rows are so close together these days it's impossible not to disturb the person in front of you when getting up out of your seat.
I blame our food, we are all so much fatter there is no room.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 06:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
A few reasons. 1.) Price. A 747 is roughly $12k to charter /hour, a Gulfstream G200 is @$3,000. 2.) That's a whole lot of wasted room for just a few people. 3.) That's a whole lot of fuel to burn for just transporting us. I'm not a huge eco-nut, but my wife would have a screaming fit.
1) Please tell me where you can charter a 747 for $12k/hr? Is that dry or ACMI?

2) You can avoid the small jet feel with something more modest... anything cabin class, F900 or better.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 06:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
1) Please tell me where you can charter a 747 for $12k/hr? Is that dry or ACMI?

2) You can avoid the small jet feel with something more modest... anything cabin class, F900 or better.
1.) That's the price I was quoted by Blue Star Jets. It wasn't in my price range so I didn't pursue specifics. Is that bad, good, typical?

2.) You talking about the Dassault Falcon 900? I don't believe it was offered.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 06:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It also depends on the length of your flight, right? It isn't hard to put up with just about anything for an hour or so.
For sure.

On a 2 hour flight, no biggie. I wouldn't want to rest anyways.
On a 9-10 hour flight to Europe - completely different matter.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 06:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
For sure.

On a 2 hour flight, no biggie. I wouldn't want to rest anyways.
On a 9-10 hour flight to Europe - completely different matter.

-t
Agreed.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
1.) That's the price I was quoted by Blue Star Jets. It wasn't in my price range so I didn't pursue specifics. Is that bad, good, typical?
That's really low. $25,000 per hour is pretty typical for a 744. With fuel costs as they are right now, operating costs of a 744 are about $12k an hour as it is.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2011, 08:10 PM
 
His offer was for one run by Mexican illegals off kerosene recovered from the BP oil spill...
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2