Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing)

Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing) (Page 10)
Thread Tools
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Feb 26, 2013, 02:16 AM
 
Did the timing belt break? If it didn't, then the engine's fine - just needs new belts. The snow could have gummed up a few other things, but the expensive one (valve job) is ruled out if the timing belt held.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 26, 2013, 06:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Had a massive snowstorm here in Colorado Springs last week and pretty much ruined my Accord. I was trying to get home at about 7pm and it took me 3 hours to do the 20 miles. By the time I got home I had been pushing snow with my bumper. I was actually pretty impressed. I didn't think anything about it at the time, which was mistake number 1. Mistake number 2 was starting it up in the AM and snapping every belt in the motor. Snow had gone up and frozen all around the block. I'm not sure the amount of work that is required to get it back running, but I'm sure it's more than just replacing the belts. Not really worth it for a totalled car that's had a run in with deer. Darn :-/ Sucks because I have basically brand new tires (Goodyear Eagle GT) with about 400 miles on them from last week. Anyway, I'm looking for probably an Outback, but it's hard to find them in stick shift lately.
If you have to get another car, find one with the same size wheels, so at least you can keep the tires for later. Part out the rest as you can, then scrap the body. Maybe look into that Focus you'd been talking about. Try hitting up local auctions, maybe you'll find a repo. I bought a 2011 CTS-V coupe w/MT, in that cool Thunder Gray color, at a bank auction 2 weeks ago for an amazing price. It didn't need much of anything either, just a good service and cleaning.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Feb 26, 2013 at 06:25 AM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 26, 2013, 10:24 AM
 
It is definitely hard to find stick Outbacks, and have been for about 3 years (as long as I was looking). You will have more luck in pre 2009 models, if you don't mind sacrificing the space the newer models have. Either way, a better car for all that snow!

You could sell the tires on craigslist?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 26, 2013, 01:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I bought a 2011 CTS-V coupe w/MT, in that cool Thunder Gray color, at a bank auction 2 weeks ago for an amazing price.
Light interference technology, cool stuff. Do you have any difficulty finding the CTS-V on occasion, or not recognizing it due to the color shift.?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 26, 2013, 09:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Did the timing belt break? If it didn't, then the engine's fine - just needs new belts. The snow could have gummed up a few other things, but the expensive one (valve job) is ruled out if the timing belt held.
Yes, the timing belt included. I have it at a Honda/Acura repair shop right now, waiting on the diagnosis. The problem is that I took a splash shield off a few months ago, put it outside, and it blew away in the stupid Colorado wind. I didn't bother replacing it (the part was $85). Now I wish I had, obviously...
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If you have to get another car, find one with the same size wheels, so at least you can keep the tires for later. Part out the rest as you can, then scrap the body. Maybe look into that Focus you'd been talking about. Try hitting up local auctions, maybe you'll find a repo. I bought a 2011 CTS-V coupe w/MT, in that cool Thunder Gray color, at a bank auction 2 weeks ago for an amazing price. It didn't need much of anything either, just a good service and cleaning.
That's a good idea. I'd love a Focus, but it's out of budget, especially with a wedding coming up. Like I said before, I'll probably look at a used Outback or Impreza.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It is definitely hard to find stick Outbacks, and have been for about 3 years (as long as I was looking). You will have more luck in pre 2009 models, if you don't mind sacrificing the space the newer models have. Either way, a better car for all that snow!
I drove a 2007 that was a stick shift yesterday and I liked it. It was $13,000 and the base model with 77k miles, which I don't mind, but a dog had chewed up some interior trim. It would be about $400 to replace the bits that were chewed and the price seemed a little high to me in the first place.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 26, 2013, 11:31 PM
 
What's your budget?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 27, 2013, 12:44 PM
 
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 27, 2013, 03:03 PM
 
BMW inflating their cars as their sales numbers?
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 27, 2013, 04:16 PM
 
Paint it black, show it to Tim Burton. Bam! New Batmobile!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2013, 05:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
What's your budget?
As low as possible, ha ha. Realistically I could spend as much as $13,000, but I don't want to have a payment at all, and I have about $5k saved up for a car. I'm looking at maybe a 1997-2000 Subaru Legacy GT or Outback that has already had head issues taken care of.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2013, 05:06 PM
 
You could buy an old-ass Audi, I hear they're hella cool.
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2013, 05:11 PM
 
Keep looking. Around here the 2007 range from $7K for base model to the $13k you saw, but the better trim models can fall in the same range too. Range varies. Even some good deals around $5k. Are you in Colorado or Seattle? I bet they're pretty common in Colorado.

I wouldn't pay $13k for a 2007 unless it was a high end trim or otherwise special.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Mar 1, 2013 at 05:21 PM. )
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2013, 10:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You could buy an old-ass Audi, I hear they're hella cool.
I actually like Rob's Audi but the parts are just way too expensive.
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Keep looking. Around here the 2007 range from $7K for base model to the $13k you saw, but the better trim models can fall in the same range too. Range varies. Even some good deals around $5k. Are you in Colorado or Seattle? I bet they're pretty common in Colorado.

I wouldn't pay $13k for a 2007 unless it was a high end trim or otherwise special.
I'm in Colorado right now, sumer in Seattle. In Colorado there are tons, but they have a bit of a premium and the manual 'box is still fairly rare. I haven't seen one as low as $7k though. The lowest I've seen is like $11k for one with like 140,000 miles. They hold their value very well here, I'm guessing Subaru is the most popular brand in CO. They aren't as bad in Washington, but I've never seen even one used manual for sale.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2013, 01:46 PM
 
Well one of the guys on my lambo forum is one of the 3 in the world that will own the exclusice Lamborghini Veneno... Only $4 Million.
(Post 166)
Lamborghini Veneno - Lambo Power
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2013, 02:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Well one of the guys on my lambo forum is one of the 3 in the world that will own the exclusice Lamborghini Veneno... Only $4 Million.
(Post 166)
Lamborghini Veneno - Lambo Power




At the Geneva show Ferrari have shown their new supercar, called LaFerrari. Yes, it's the Ferrari The Ferrari
Homepage - LaFerrari


As with the Porsche 918 and McLaren P1, it has an electric motor in addition to the engine. Unlike the 918 and P1, the electric motor can't run the car by itself in a full EV mode.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2013, 03:49 PM
 
The The Ferrari looks nifty.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2013, 04:47 PM
 
The LaFerrari looks neat, but it's gonna need that 950bhp, because it weighs nearly 3000lbs. Seriously? When did Italian ladies get so portly? It seems we Americans are a bad influence on them.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Mar 5, 2013 at 06:36 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2013, 11:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The LaFerrari looks neat, but it's gonna need that 950bhp, because it weighs nearly 3000lbs. Seriously? When did Italian ladies get so portly? It seems we Americans are a bad influence on them.
Well I don't think it needs 950 hp to move 3,000 lbs... your 458 weighs a little over 3,200 lbs and I'm sure it moves along quite well. By contrast, the Veyron weighs 4,100 lbs.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 6, 2013, 03:15 AM
 
My 458 wasn't $1.6M, either. The Veyron is a hog, if it weren't for its straight-line speed, it wouldn't be much to write home about at all.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 6, 2013, 04:38 PM
 
That Ferrari is gorgeous, especially in profile and from the rear. Just wow.

The Lambo is
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2013, 06:31 AM
 
Ferrari claims they're all sold, however a quick call verified that isn't exactly true. They're all allocated, but that's hardly the same thing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2013, 08:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Ferrari claims they're all sold, however a quick call verified that isn't exactly true. They're all allocated, but that's hardly the same thing.
You got Ferrari's boss on speed dial or something?

The Ferrari looks damn sexy … and it apparently also has adaptive aerodynamics just like the Hyuara (or however you spell Pagani's new masterpiece).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2013, 06:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You got Ferrari's boss on speed dial or something?

The Ferrari looks damn sexy … and it apparently also has adaptive aerodynamics just like the Hyuara (or however you spell Pagani's new masterpiece).
Just the one in NA. "Can I get a LaFerrari if I want one?" "Sure, we can setup the deposit over the phone. Let me transfer you to a consultant." Personally, I can't see it being a better driver's car than the Huayra, the Pagani is a purely visceral experience and may just be the last of the supercars that doesn't do everything but wipe your arse for you.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2013, 11:24 PM
 
Drove a supercharged BRZ a little today, 7psi of boost making an additional 70whp (282hp total at the crank). With that, the car feels complete and is what it should have been all along. It's the perfect amount of added oomph to propel the car to legendary status.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2013, 11:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
My 458 wasn't $1.6M, either. The Veyron is a hog, if it weren't for its straight-line speed, it wouldn't be much to write home about at all.
The SS seems to be able to take a corner or two.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2013, 03:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The SS seems to be able to take a corner or two.
Eh, it kind of rolls around them, and then accelerates insanely fast on the straights. It's every bit like a modern muscle car, though the Euro press and reviewers would never admit it, since it's their auto equivalent of a "Concord moment" (buckets of irony there, considering how vicious they've been towards US cars). A really nice Veyron, the first imported to the USA, was up for sale yesterday @Amelia Island, and it only attracted $850k + fees, a full $450k below its MSRP. Even though it had a grand total of only 60 miles on it and had never been officially registered. That told me they aren't going to hold their value in the long run, because even though they were so advanced, they aren't very special to drive. One reason you've never seen Bugatti touting their prowess on the Nurburgring, because the reality is that it was spanked by a "lowly" MP4-12C. It's praised for the one thing that's the most difficult (and unimportant) to achieve in the real world, top speed, and moves like a hippo in a tutu doing anything other than driving in a straight line.

It's about design, not the gizmos. You can make a brick able to handle a few turns, proven by Bentley and the USAF, but it will never feel natural, let alone inspire a great deal of confidence. Pagani, Koenigsegg, and McLaren got it right (Lotus has been doing it right since the beginning), design the car to be nimble from the onset, then you don't have to spend $100M trying to fool the laws of physics... or equine dancing lessons.

BTW, the 12C is pure magic, I've enjoyed the hell out of it. Racked up 1100 miles on it in just a month. But, nothing has broken or went wrong, aside from the IRIS system bugging out in the first week and them having to re-flash it remotely. It's utterly astounding, and shockingly practical.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2013, 04:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Drove a supercharged BRZ a little today, 7psi of boost making an additional 70whp (282hp total at the crank). With that, the car feels complete and is what it should have been all along. It's the perfect amount of added oomph to propel the car to legendary status.
I drove the FR-S the other day and I really felt like it had plenty of power. I think half the point of the car is that you can drive it fairly hard and not be breaking the law. I think additional power would ruin part of the concept of the car.

Anyways, update on my car, I had the mechanic replace the water pump, which was cracked, then borrowed a friend and his truck to tow (on a flatbed, don't worry), my car the 1.3 miles to my house where I've been whittling away at the issues. I've got the timing belt done (that was tricky), and the power steering and alternator belt and alternator replaced (easy). I'm having a LOT of trouble fitting the front bumper back on though, due to the deer. It bent a bunch of mounts and stuff out of place and the driver's side fender pushed the headlight on that side down further than it can go. I just need someone to give me a hand and I think I can force it back together, but everybody seems busy So I'll be hanging on to this car for the time being; obviously I don't want to dump it while I'm putting so much effort into it.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2013, 05:03 PM
 
I didn't say 200hp is awful, just that 280 felt more exciting, and since it wasn't turbo, no lag. So it felt even across the power band.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 03:21 AM
 
For basically the same money (less if you're looking at the cheapo base model) you can get a Focus ST that beats the FR-S/BR-Z to 60, in the quarter, and around the Top Gear track. And it gets better mpg. And it has four doors. Is the perfect "feel" of a RWD car worth the sacrifice in performance?
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 05:40 PM
 
I can't say I'm a fan of sedans, I'm a coupe man. But, if you aren't into oversteer, and don't mind a little torque steer on occasion, the ST is a more practical (and faster) choice. I live on mountain roads, hundreds of miles of twisties, so the RWD choice is clear, but that's not the same for everyone, admittedly.

BTW, I'm already starting to see used FR-S for near $20k (locally there's one for $20,900), and that's a pretty good deal for what you get. I'm very much thinking of buying it, to tune and strip for the track.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 02:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I can't say I'm a fan of sedans, I'm a coupe man. But, if you aren't into oversteer, and don't mind a little torque steer on occasion, the ST is a more practical (and faster) choice.
Have you read any of the ST reviews? Everyone talks about how unlike most FWD cars tuned for understeer, the ST's chassis is quite neutral, it will oversteer on command.

It's also interesting reading reports from ST owners who have installed new tunes that enable full power in all gears (Ford limits the power in 1st and 2nd). Basically no traction until 3rd.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 02:06 PM
 
I've seen a TON of STs around here and it's only been on sale for a couple months. I think if I could afford it, that would be my car. It just seems to be such a perfectly-balanced car. My grandfather has been looking at one but he has terrible arthritis in his wrists and can't drive a stick without a lot of pain during Washington's cold damp winter days. So he's holding out for the next GTI (his current driver is the awful DCT M3).
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 06:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Have you read any of the ST reviews? Everyone talks about how unlike most FWD cars tuned for understeer, the ST's chassis is quite neutral, it will oversteer on command.

It's also interesting reading reports from ST owners who have installed new tunes that enable full power in all gears (Ford limits the power in 1st and 2nd). Basically no traction until 3rd.
I briefly talked with a reviewer about the ST, and although he loves the car, if he had his druthers, he'd still choose the BR-Z (provided it had a little more grunt). Though the Focus is amazingly neutral, it still lacks some of the RWD feel in some situations, and the Sub/Toy platform is a bit more open for tuning.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 06:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I've seen a TON of STs around here and it's only been on sale for a couple months. I think if I could afford it, that would be my car. It just seems to be such a perfectly-balanced car. My grandfather has been looking at one but he has terrible arthritis in his wrists and can't drive a stick without a lot of pain during Washington's cold damp winter days. So he's holding out for the next GTI (his current driver is the awful DCT M3).
Yeah, it was quite a bit worse than the manual, but still better than most other autos.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2013, 03:59 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I briefly talked with a reviewer about the ST, and although he loves the car, if he had his druthers, he'd still choose the BR-Z (provided it had a little more grunt). Though the Focus is amazingly neutral, it still lacks some of the RWD feel in some situations, and the Sub/Toy platform is a bit more open for tuning.
Really? A $1000 for a tune and exhaust work and you're pushing 300whp in the Focus. The GT86 has a 12.5:1 compression ratio so you're not going to be reliably pushing a whole lot of boost without some extra work.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2013, 06:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Really? A $1000 for a tune and exhaust work and you're pushing 300whp in the Focus. The GT86 has a 12.5:1 compression ratio so you're not going to be reliably pushing a whole lot of boost without some extra work.
Not necessarily talking about more HP, but for a track car going beyond pump gas isn't really a problem (and 100oct is widely available). Supercharger + exhaust/head work takes the FR-S to 300 as well. Used FR-S + parts and tune is about equal to the ST + tune, in overall cost. From there it all depends on what style of driving you prefer, and if you want the issues that come with turbos.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2013, 10:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Yeah, it was quite a bit worse than the manual, but still better than most other autos.
It's fine around a track but it's just too jerky for a daily driver. Especially in the hills of Seattle area. VW's DSG is considerably smoother so I guess that's why he wants the GTI. I recommended a Cayman S but he didn't like the drab interior, though in my mind it's not quite as depressingly cave-like as the M3.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 01:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not necessarily talking about more HP, but for a track car going beyond pump gas isn't really a problem (and 100oct is widely available). Supercharger + exhaust/head work takes the FR-S to 300 as well. Used FR-S + parts and tune is about equal to the ST + tune, in overall cost. From there it all depends on what style of driving you prefer, and if you want the issues that come with turbos.
Why would you compare the price of a used car to the price of a new one? Why not just price out a used E30 and an LS1 swap...
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 01:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Why would you compare the price of a used car to the price of a new one? Why not just price out a used E30 and an LS1 swap...
As far as I know, there aren't any used Focus STs on the market yet (or at least not a one in my area), correct me if I'm wrong.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 02:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
As far as I know, there aren't any used Focus STs on the market yet (or at least not a one in my area), correct me if I'm wrong.
I've seen plenty of used STs and also FR-S/BRZ. A quick look on Cars.com shows a good selection.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 02:15 AM
 
Not seeing any used STs (they're all 2013s) anywhere near me on cars.com, and only 9 used in the whole of the USA (and most are at almost full retail).

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 07:10 AM
 
Again, comparing the price of a new car + mods to the price of a used car + mods is apples and oranges. It doesn't matter if they're available or not.
     
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2013
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 01:08 PM
 
I'd be happy to upgrade my 02 Mustang GT to a 13 GT.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 08:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not seeing any used STs (they're all 2013s) anywhere near me on cars.com, and only 9 used in the whole of the USA (and most are at almost full retail). [/img]
2013 is the only year of the ST so far.

I'm seeing 27 used ones with anywhere from 458 miles to 12,000 miles. All of them are listed as the base model for some reason, but most of them have the Recaro seats which are a $3k option.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Mar 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: I meant Recaro)
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2013, 01:19 AM
 
ST2 has partial-leather Recaros, ST3 has full-leather Recaros. I'm assuming someplace like Autotrader doesn't have ST available as a trim level yet, so you have to choose between "base model" and SE/SES/Titanium.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2013, 03:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Again, comparing the price of a new car + mods to the price of a used car + mods is apples and oranges. It doesn't matter if they're available or not.
If there were used Focus STs available (I'm still not seeing them on Cars.com, maybe mine is broken ), I'd give the Used price, but there aren't (and the ones that are out there are almost as much as new, due to the high demand for them). That situation will change in a year, but as of now that's reality. We're discussing the benefits of each platform, not all cars in general, so I'm not sure where your E30 comparo comes from. $30k will put a person into a tuned ST, the same money will do the same with a supercharged GT86.

As I also said before, there's the turbo issue to consider, and it's not all sunshine and roses. That type of boost, although I wouldn't say it's unpredictable, isn't as linear or "transparent", especially not in racing applications.

Edit: I considered just converting the E28, but I can't, it's almost like a holy relic.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2013, 08:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If there were used Focus STs available (I'm still not seeing them on Cars.com, maybe mine is broken ), I'd give the Used price, but there aren't (and the ones that are out there are almost as much as new, due to the high demand for them). That situation will change in a year, but as of now that's reality. We're discussing the benefits of each platform, not all cars in general, so I'm not sure where your E30 comparo comes from. $30k will put a person into a tuned ST, the same money will do the same with a supercharged GT86.

As I also said before, there's the turbo issue to consider, and it's not all sunshine and roses. That type of boost, although I wouldn't say it's unpredictable, isn't as linear or "transparent", especially not in racing applications.

Edit: I considered just converting the E28, but I can't, it's almost like a holy relic.
You're trying to talk about what $30K will get you. I'm trying to talk about, on as even ground as possible, the difference between two specific platforms.
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2013, 09:46 AM
 
Then why does it matter if they're new or used? And I've made points about the two platforms, as well.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 17, 2013, 07:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Then why does it matter if they're new or used? And I've made points about the two platforms, as well.
The phrase "apples to oranges" doesn't mean much to you, does it?
     
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 17, 2013, 09:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The phrase "apples to oranges" doesn't mean much to you, does it?
How is it apples to oranges? A car's a car, new or used.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2014 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2