Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How the F Am I Supposed To Wire This?

How the F Am I Supposed To Wire This? (Page 2)
Administrator
Jun 16, 2014, 06:59 AM

Wall of sound is bad. If you can't hear the talent, nobody can, so why are they bothering to sing? Who's the mastermind behind the whole thing? Maybe they can get Mr. Deafmaker to tone it down?

I had slightly similar problems with audio for live events in the Air Force. If we had live performers instead of me running my CD of music into the mixer, we NEEDED to both do a hot run through AND agree on how loud they were to play. String quartet? Pretty easy. Rock combo? Fair. Horns? HOLY COW!!! I can't hear my brain!!!!! But we worked it out (sometimes only when I made very strong threats).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2014, 08:05 AM

Believe me, I'd love to get live mixes where I can understand the vocals and not have my ears bleed, but it's some sort of hive mind paradigm of how you're supposed to mix a ROCK show.

Once, I saw a show in a 30x30 room, and they miked the drum kit.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2014, 08:14 AM

The wall of sound in rehearsals is a different thing. We have too many people in too small a room, which necessitates (among other things) pointing the monitors at the walls as an anti-feedback measure. I can make things out better if I wedge myself between a monitor and the wall, but then I can only get through half a rehearsal without tinnitus kicking in.

What astounds me though, is everyone else somehow gets useable information.

Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2014, 10:26 AM

You rehearse without earplugs?

I never, ever leave home without my ER-15's.

No club, no concert (whether on stage or as audience member), no rehearsal, no soundcheck without them. Even many bars.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2014, 11:06 AM

I took the nuclear option. I stopped going to them. I'm only back now so I get the chance to work the cues under fire, and the band gets to perform under cues. There's a blackout, so everyone looses their sheet music.

I only have Hearos. When the option came up to continue to go wearing those, I said "**** it". They impair my hearing too much.

No one in the band wears any sort of hearing protection, which also helps explain the "wall of sound". Most musicians I know are stone deaf. My ears are blessed with a very low threshold of pain. Makes it easy to have avoided destroying them.

Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I took the nuclear option. I stopped going to them.
I don't have the option of not going to rehearsals or concerts. I haven't been in a club in forever.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2014, 02:40 AM

I may have mentioned this in the prosthetic thread, but it successfully sailed its maiden voyage. I didn't get as strong of a signal as I wanted, but it was strong enough to work, and that's all that matters. In the future I'll try to get the box closer to the front of the stage.

It has yet to fail, so I'm starting to trust it. I still want to keep running it in rehearsals though. Partially to stay frosty, but more for it to earn full trust.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2014, 03:11 AM

I figure I should pimp the iPad angle a bit. Here's a photo of the control surface. I had to take a photo because as I mentioned upthread, I've air-gapped the iPad from everything except the Airport Express in the box, which intentionally has no Internet connection.

This is a pretty simple setup. One dimmer pack controlling the lights on the singers. They have three lights on them a piece built into a single unit, so we affectionately call those "three bangers". One dimmer pack controlling the rest of the band. One dimmer pack controlling our single colored light. The strobe has built in DMX, so there's one slider for the strobe rate, and one for the brightness.

At the bottom are the various "scenes". You click one, it happens. There are options to have them fade in as well. You move the sliders while a scene is selected, that becomes the scene. Even a caveman could do it. In case it's not totally clear, in the pic, I've got the first two sliders at full, and the last three at zero.

The progression of scenes here is pretty simple. The lights start at full for the band and singers (All On). I hit "Strobe On", both those sets of lights go dark, and the strobe comes on. During this part, which lasts only five or six seconds, one of the backup singers rips off her breakaway Reservoir Dogs suit to reveal a dominatrix outfit underneath.

"3 At Half" is the strobe still on but the singer/band lights at half. As the song transitions into a mellower part, there's a blackout (All Off) and the green light does a slow fade in. The fade is totally automated. This is actually the hardest cue for me because the idea is I hit the green light immediately after the blackout. In practice, I need to give a slight pause, or I'm worried I may cross thread my taps.

At the end of the number, the regular lights come back on.

We'd like to do more, but there are questions of setup feasibility without a roadie, and that when I'm running lighting cues I'm not taking photos.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 1, 2014 at 03:25 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules