Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I have no confidence in computers anymore

I have no confidence in computers anymore (Page 3)
Thread Tools
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2013, 11:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
That's like saying I know the engine works, therefore it is impossible for the car to be broken.

To take this analogy further, it should be noted you aren't even looking at the engine yourself, merely trusting someone else who says it works.
WTF is is supposed to mean ?

Your argument was that 1PW doesn't share their code.
That argument is invalid.

To stay with your analogy: it's not the engines's fault that you're not a ****ing engineer.

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2013, 01:52 AM
 
There's some solid turtle logic right there: I don't understand, therefore you are wrong.

If I was going to try and hack 1Pass, I wouldn't try and hack OpenSSL, I'd try and exploit the specific way AgileBits implements it.

OpenSSL is the engine. 1Pass is the car. Just because the engine is secure doesn't mean I can't rip that tranny right out of you.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2013, 12:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
If I was going to try and hack 1Pass, I wouldn't try and hack OpenSSL, I'd try and exploit the specific way AgileBits implements it.

OpenSSL is the engine. 1Pass is the car. Just because the engine is secure doesn't mean I can't rip that tranny right out of you.
Again, you're not sticking to the original point you started out with - Dropbox.

There is reason to believe that there's any way to compromise 1Password by replacing the the 1Password database on Dropbox. Definitely not in the scenario of replacing the database with an executable malware.

Everything else about 1Password's potential vulnerability might be true, but is not what we've been discussing.

At this point, I'm close to just chalking you off as security paranoid.

-t
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2013, 03:31 AM
 
I think it's time to re-post the xkcd cartoon again: I think it's far easier to guess a password or to social engineer this person to give you his/her password than it is to crack 1Password.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2013, 10:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Again, you're not sticking to the original point you started out with - Dropbox.

There is reason to believe that there's any way to compromise 1Password by replacing the the 1Password database on Dropbox. Definitely not in the scenario of replacing the database with an executable malware.

Everything else about 1Password's potential vulnerability might be true, but is not what we've been discussing.

At this point, I'm close to just chalking you off as security paranoid.

-t
Paranoid? That's how security happens.

However, if I was that worried about potential 1Pass vulnerablilities with Dropbox do you think I would use it and suggest it to other people?

Either way, you are free to think a database which is available on the Internet is just as safe as one that isn't. I'm not going to put in much more effort into disabusing yourself of that notion. I can only explain the obvious up to a point.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2013, 04:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I think it's time to re-post the xkcd cartoon again: I think it's far easier to guess a password or to social engineer this person to give you his/her password than it is to crack 1Password.
No question. I still maintain regardless of how secure something is, it's less secure if it's in the cloud.

Whether that matters is case dependent. In my personal case with 1Pass and DropBox, it doesn't matter.
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2013, 09:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
No question. I still maintain regardless of how secure something is, it's less secure if it's in the cloud.
Technically, this is true, but if the weakest point is not software but the human element, I don't see anyone going for the software route (at least not by attacking 1Password directly, a keylogger perhaps or other spy software).

I still think that you're worrying about the exact wrong thing. I'm sure there are still ways to gain control certain accounts of yours similar to the amazon/Apple social engineering attack, and that those are the paths hackers take instead of hacking software that is based on a robust encryption scheme. Sort of like insisting that this complicated lock on your front door is still pickable, but ignoring the fact that the bedroom window is open.

If someone really wants to get after you, they'll get you. But if some people pick you by chance, having good defenses (good passwords, etc.) will make you a less inviting target. That's what I go for anyway.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2013, 11:33 PM
 
I have less than zero concern someone is going to hack 1Pass to get to me personally.

My concern is greater than zero people will try to hack 1Pass. Its mere existence makes it a target.

The likelihood 1Pass will get hacked and then I got caught up in it as a user is non-zero, but not high enough to register concern.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2013, 12:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I have less than zero concern someone is going to hack 1Pass to get to me personally.

My concern is greater than zero people will try to hack 1Pass. Its mere existence makes it a target.

The likelihood 1Pass will get hacked and then I got caught up in it as a user is non-zero, but not high enough to register concern.
You just don't give a sh1t do you ?

I'm not being (or trying to be) an asshole btw.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2013, 08:47 PM
 
Give a shit about what?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2013, 10:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'm not being (or trying to be) an asshole btw.
Please allow me to apologize again for that. I was being the asshole, not you.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2013, 05:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Give a shit about what?
I have less than zero = not giving a shit.

I was trying to be funny, but failed. Again. Sorry.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2013, 01:05 PM
 
That's because the French have no sense of humour.

(Let's see where that takes us)
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2013, 01:15 PM
 
matty, subego, and I walk into a bar. A fist fight breaks out instantaneously.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2013, 01:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
matty, subego, and I walk into a bar. A fist fight breaks out instantaneously.
Then you all wake up the next morning in the same bed together unaware of what happened
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2013, 02:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Then you all wake up the next morning in the same bed together unaware of what happened
Please, keep you MacNN fan fiction erotica to yourself and your hand.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2013, 10:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
That's because the French have no sense of humour.

(Let's see where that takes us)
Says the German.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 12:38 AM
 
Just smashed my Titanium PowerBook.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 03:53 AM
 
Why on earth?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
 
Because that sounds like more fun than dealing with a G4?

I gave my G4 MBP away to someone who needed to run some OS9 stuff.

Even though he needed it, I still felt like I was causing injury by giving it to him.


By the same token, never donate an old computer to a school. I'd rather have a student spend time reading a book rather than waste that time on garbage hardware.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 01:01 PM
 
The titanium Powerbooks are totally awesome machines, and as long as they're still functional, they age wonderfully, looking like real veterans.

It's a bit like smashing a 70s-vintage Land Rover.

There are modern machines that do everything it could do better, but dammit, that's a piece of history. Give it to somebody who can see the value, at least.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 01:07 PM
 
It's like smashing a 70's Land Rover with an engine from the 40's.

Sure it looks nice, but is way more trouble than it's worth in terms of getting from A to B.

A netbook would smoke the TiBook, just like a Corolla would smoke the Landy with the bum engine.


P.S. I don't think he really smashed it.

P.P.S. don't the TiBooks warp and chip? The 2K3 vintage MBP I gave away looked like new.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 01:12 PM
 
One actual year is 7 dog years and about 15 processor years.

That TiBook is is rapidly approaching 200. Time to take her behind the barn.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 01:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
One actual year is 7 dog years and about 15 processor years.

That TiBook is is rapidly approaching 200. Time to take her behind the barn.
That applies to my old Macintosh SE, as well. I should probably throw it away.

tiBooks tend to look like this eventually:


Personally, I think that looks awesome.

The number of tiBooks with intact screen hinges is rapidly shrinking. These machines are at least ten years old now. If you can't appreciate a digital classic, don't just throw it away, or even worse, destroy it for the hell of it.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 01:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That applies to my old Macintosh SE, as well. I should probably throw it away.
Christ... YES!

Harriet, get the rifle.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
 
If you place it just right, you could probably get a single bullet through the entire packaging, original floppy set, documentation, the machine, AND through the ImageWriter II with documentation and original packaging that my client gave me together with the computer.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
 
ImageWriter?

     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 01:51 PM
 
Somewhere along the line I decided old computer hardware, and more importantly, old computer boxes aren't worth the space. I have yet to regret throwing out every computer box. Right now I'm debating on whether to pitch the boxes my recording gear is in. Manley even bitches you out for considering it on the box.

I'm gonna live life on the edge. If it's solid-state, the box is going. The extra space is worth far more than needing to pay someone to pack it properly if something needs servicing.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 02:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
ImageWriter?
ImageWriter II.

Sadly, no sheet feeder included (I had one on mine, back in the day).
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 02:25 PM
 
Does it take perf?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 02:42 PM
 
"Perf"? You mean the folded, perforated paper, preferably green/white lines?

Of course.

You can feed it individual pages of A4, as well, but page by page.
The IW II with a sheet feeder was awesome, back in '89.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
 
Perf?

     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 03:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It's a bit like smashing a 70s-vintage Land Rover.
Nice analogy for us Apple history noobs.

And respect.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
 
Fill us in!
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
 
Yes, I did kill the PowerBook.
I felt like it was holding me back. It actually died back in '09, or '10 (diagnosed as fried graphics chip). It would function intermittently and then the graphic would scramble. Recently it has been working well enough that I installed 10.5 on it and kept it prepped as a backup machine just in case my primary system suddenly has problems (gotta be able to get my bank statements after all.)
But in order to be able to use it effectively with my current data I was limited to using apps that were compatible with PPC/10.5. This was getting rather frustrating. So, now it is gone and I have no backup if my Mini freaks out...
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 09:58 PM
 
Intermittent graphics points to a loose connector or an overheating problem.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2013, 11:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Intermittent graphics points to a loose connector or an overheating problem.
Overheating is a possibility, although I always kept it on a fan cooling pad. Just the act of installing 10.5 was pretty taxing and it didn't conk out during that (by that time I was not longer using the cooling pad.)

I would say all of the connections are pretty 'loose' at this point due to the smashing.

I do wish that I had not done that. If for no other reason than if anything goes wrong with my desktop set-up I will be totally offline.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 08:17 AM
 
I've seen a TiBook with that issue before. It took 8 months to fail when I had it in for repair but it got a new mobo eventually. I imagine it would have gotten worse as time went on.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 08:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
It's like smashing a 70's Land Rover with an engine from the 40's.

Sure it looks nice, but is way more trouble than it's worth in terms of getting from A to B.
That most certainly applies to my '68 B-3. Built in the late 60s around technology from 1935.

At 190 kg and needing yearly maintenance, it is way more trouble than it's worth, *especially* in terms of getting from A to B.

Except, for some reason, *nobody* who has experienced it, has the slightest doubt that it's worth the trouble, provided they can afford to have me bring it along.

Of course, that doesn't really tie back to the tiBook, because the Hammond still smashes to smithereens any successor, while the tiBook lives from the historic context.

Thus may end this digression into legendary technology.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 09:55 AM
 
Thats when the lights were on the centre grill right? Not exactly economical either is it? What are you getting per 100km?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 11:13 AM
 
Actually, I'm talking about a Hammond organ. I'm not much of a car guy; I merely mentioned it to illustrate a point.

Sorry to disappoint.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 12:07 PM
 
LOL. 190kg is a bit light for a Land Rover ;-)

Edit : I was hoping to learn something.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 02:50 PM
 
I'm still wondering why the Landy is such an apropos analogy.

I'm not a car guy either.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 03:11 PM
 
Because Land Rovers rock. My last Landie was a 1964 Series II SWB ragtop. I still regret not taking it with me when we moved.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 03:20 PM
 
Just from that time frame?

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted a Range Rover since before it was a "thing".
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 03:28 PM
 
Range Rovers have nothing to do with Land Rovers.

One is a ****ing awesome tank, and the other is everything that defined an SUV decades befor the category existed.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 03:31 PM
 
Explain that.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 06:21 PM
 
whoops
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 07:17 PM
 
Land Rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Range Rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia has a great articles on the history of the marque, including a good explanation of the differences. The Land Rover, together with the Toyota Land Cruiser, is the original "bush taxi". If a LR can't take you there, you probably can't get there (in a wheeled vehicle). Older models especially are as utilitarian as a car can get.

The original Range Rover too was designed as a utility vehicle - the passenger cabin was designed so it could be hosed out for cleaning. The target market were well off farmers and horse breeders who needed a vehicle with better road performance than the Land Rover but which still would be useful on a farm.

Over time the Range Rover changed into a luxury SUV but even late models are surprisingly off-road worthy. Top Gear has some fun clips showing these capabilities.

Range Rover Evoque - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube
Old Top Gear 1991 - Toyota Land Cruiser, Range Rover and Mercedes G Wagon - YouTube
Tank vs Rangie challenge pt 2 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2013, 07:23 PM
 
Thank you!

I wanted the RR more than the LR, but I wanted the kind you could hose out.

What made them cool to me was seeing them in documentaries about the wilds of Africa as a kid.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2014 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2