Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Superhero movies

Superhero movies
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2013, 08:09 PM

I love superhero movies, but I'm getting tired of them.

To me a good superhero movie explores concepts relating to humanity the same way good sci-fi does. There are interesting concepts to be explored here. For instance, in the second Nolan Batman movie combating a complete psychopath ala No Country for Old Men was a pretty appealing theme. In this upcoming Superman movie I'm hoping that the concepts of Superman being a god that wants to be a man around men that want to be gods is central. I didn't mind the Avengers because it didn't seem to take itself too seriously - it was just a silly fun movie with a lot of funny moments in it.

Otherwise, there haven't been many superhero movies lately that have really done much for me. I just saw Ironman 3. It was okay, but it didn't break any new ground really, it just seemed like your formulaic superhero movie with:

- when the superhero gains the upper hand towards the end of the movie he says some cheeseball line like "getting off here?", "surf's up", "you really need to get that looked at" that usually elicits a chuckle from the audience

- tons of CGI and an overwhelming amount of crap happening on the screen, Transformers style

- cookie cutter "epic war music"

Am I the only one that is getting a little tired of this formula? Any hope for surprises this summer? What are your favorite superhero movies of all time?

Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2013, 11:55 AM

For me, someone saying "I'm tired of superhero movies" makes as much sense as saying "I'm tired of sci-fi movies." Maybe you just don't like the genre. I don't like westerns in general, but I recognize some of them are great despite the genre they occupy.

In this upcoming Superman movie I'm hoping that the concepts of Superman being a god that wants to be a man around men that want to be gods is central.
I don't think you're gonna get the later half of that. I'm very excited for Man of Steel. They're almost positioning it as an alien invasion film rather than a superhero film, which I like.

I like superhero films which blend with another genre. Nolan's Batman films are superhero/mob films. (The Dark Knight is almost a pure mob film which accidentally contains Batman.) The next round of Batman films should be superhero/detective blends, since we just aren't getting enough "World's Greatest Detective." And enough with the "fighting terrorists" angle, focus on fighting criminals. Thor is a fantasy blend, Captain America is a war film blend, and The Matrix (which is most definitely a superhero film) is a superhero/kung-fu/cyberpunk blend. Superman is the closest to a pure superhero flick, which is why Superman is often derived as "boring," which is why the alien invasion angle is exactly what is needed. Like it or not, the Spiderman films are rom-com blends, which I think they need to move away from to infuse some freshness into the franchise. They hinted at a murder-mystery blend for the re-boot but didn't deliver, which is too bad. The comics had the longest-running mystery ever (Hobgoblin), and I'd love to see that sort of story adapted to the screen.

I also love the meta-commentary superhero films, like Defendor and Watchmen and Super and Kick-Ass. The inherent absurdity of costumed vigilantes just invites intelligent deconstruction. I just showed Watchmen to someone two days ago, and I still love it. I'd welcome a re-make in a few years which focuses on the mindsets of the characters and just tones down the blood, swearing, and sex somewhat. It also needs a faster pace, which was also a problem in Ang Lee's Hulk, which was otherwise a solid superhero/psychological-mystery flick.

The only pure superhero films that work were the X-Men films, but that's because they're really a meta-commentary on tolerance and intolerance.

Otherwise, there haven't been many superhero movies lately that have really done much for me.
I feel the opposite. They're getting better, not getting worse. The Amazing Spiderman was better than Spiderman 3, X-Men First Class was better than X-Men 3 and Wolverine Origins. And The Avengers just amazed me: perfect character interaction.

Stuff I'm excited for:
Man of Steel
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Iron Man 3
Kiss Ass 2

Coming stuff I'm indifferent to:
The Wolverine
Guardians of the Galaxy
S.H.I.E.L.D. tv show

Sh!t I'm not getting and am quite pissed about:
A Hulk sequel
Wonder Woman

Stuff they screwed up but should take another crack at anyway:
Green Lantern sequel
Daredevil reboot

Stuff that's too awesome for mere Hollywood to ever get right:
Alpha Flight. Hell, Marvel Comics itself couldn't get it right despite several promising re-boots and J. Michael Straczynski.

Stuff that still astounds me:
The character and performance that ruined Daredevil got her own film.
Someone could fnck up a film about Halle Berry in a skin tight suit.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; May 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2013, 03:22 PM

Good post, LPK

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
For me, someone saying "I'm tired of superhero movies" makes as much sense as saying "I'm tired of sci-fi movies."
I agree, but I think it makes a lot more sense to be tired of each of the combo-genres you listed, even after only 1 or 2 of each. If they make another superhero/mob or superhero/war movie, it will feel pretty repetitive. In order to keep me engaged, they'll have to keep finding new genres to cross superhero with. I'm excited for them to do it, but at the same time I have to think that at some point they'll run out of options for new genres to cross it with. And at that point (or at the point that I finally accept it ), I'll be in the same spot as besson: tired of the genre, not because of the genre itself but because it only really "works" when crossed with other genres, which have all been used up.

Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 12:53 AM

I wish they would have kept the "terrorists" angle with Cap, since they'd pulled away from it in Iron Man 2. They could have easily done the Extremis storyline without them. And the Mandarin...

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
And the Mandarin...

Agreed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules