Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Zombie Simpsons

Zombie Simpsons (Page 2)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well I didn't realize you somehow saw it as evidence for some reason. You kept brining it up and I kept ignoring it because it has nothing to do with The Simpsons sucking.

I thought I was pretty clear here too

So what now?

Well I appreciate the honesty you were ignoring what I was saying. It sure felt like it.

I feel obligated however to say that makes for a shit sandwich of a discussion from the perspective of the person being ignored.

Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Well I appreciate the honesty you were ignoring what I was saying. It sure felt like it.
I'm glad you can ignore the reasoning I gave.

I feel obligated however to say that makes for a shit sandwich of a discussion from the perspective of the person being ignored.
So do you absolve yourself of any wrongdoing on misinterpreting a throw-off sentence as evidence?

I see this as two people talking past each other, but I get the feeling you somehow think it was just me being a colossal dick.

Anyway this feeling like a Kevin level discussion at this point (Which I can only surmise will also be misinterpreted as a slam against you).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 02:19 PM

Colossal? No. Micro-dick maybe?

I don't absolve myself of wrongdoing, but I felt rather than try to get to the bottom of it you got unnecessarily agressive.

I like Kevin.

The micro-dick thing was a joke.

Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 02:25 PM

I don't absolve myself of wrongdoing, but I felt rather than try to get to the bottom of it you got unnecessarily aggressive.
I don't see it unless you think using 'FFS' is aggressive. However 1) that was frustration, not aggression 2) I use the 'f' world pretty liberally in real life so its not an indication of aggression so much as overused slang. Its more spartan use on these forums is a function of both the filter and general respect of the forums general attitude towards expletive use.

I don't like Kevin. This gigantic tangent to a tangent shit is boring as **** for everyone, I imagine.

May 7, 2013, 02:45 PM

What thread is this, the Simpsons or Miranda rights?

Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
What thread is this, the Simpsons or Miranda rights?
Are you advising me to exercise my right to remain silent, officer?

Posting Junkie
May 7, 2013, 03:07 PM

Seasons 4-9 are downright hilarious, with Season 5 being my favorite.

I pinpoint the shows downfall where Homer went from lovable buffoon, to whiny annoying pain. To make a comparison to The Three Stooges, old Homer is Curly, whereas newer Homer is Curly Joe.

The show became self-referencial, which was okay, around season 7. At this point the layers of self-reference are so deep and impenetrable it has almost come around full circle. I can't count the number of Marge and Homer origin episodes they have concocted. Now every episode is a relationship issue between Marge and Homer, Bart and Lisa have a side-part, and once and a while one of the townspeople say something funny. After the initial 'getting to know them' the core family was largely a catalyst to explore the hilarity of the town of Springfield, and the hilarious characters within.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 03:11 PM

No Shemp phase?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 03:24 PM

I don't see it unless you think using 'FFS' is aggressive. However 1) that was frustration, not aggression 2) I use the 'f' world pretty liberally in real life so its not an indication of aggression so much as overused slang. Its more spartan use on these forums is a function of both the filter and general respect of the forums general attitude towards expletive use.
Aggressive ≠ aggression.

Whichever specific term you want to use, I had a completely reasonable misunderstanding, and your immediate response was to get frustrated with me.

Would ****ing cranky a more apt descriptor?

Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I pinpoint the shows downfall where Homer went from lovable buffoon, to whiny annoying pain.
This is kinda what I'm talking about when I say he became a parody of himself. He just becomes far stupider and mercurial then before.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 03:25 PM

How old was everybody when the show came out/started watching?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 03:33 PM

This is kinda what I'm talking about when I say he became a parody of himself. He just becomes far stupider and mercurial then before.
There definitely seems to be a segment for whom that totally wrecks it, and a segment for whom it doesn't.

I'm curious how much of that is just pure taste, and how much is taste modified by an opinion of the old show.

Posting Junkie
May 7, 2013, 03:48 PM

How old was everybody when the show came out/started watching?
I watched them as they originally aired from Season 1 on. The show's decline coincided with my departure to college, by the time any of us started paying attention again the show wasn't funny to us anymore.

Mac Elite
May 7, 2013, 03:56 PM

Homer was always immensely stupid. He was after all mistaken for an ape man in season 1. He could also be a colossal dick, and aggressive bully and hugely lazy, all the while remaining someone to root for. Nowadays he's just an idiot jumping from one obsession to another.

Likewise Springfields other residents have lost their colour, Moe is no longer a borderline psychotic criminal, Barney isn't a drunk and Burns isn't really an evil overlord.

All that's been said before, The Simpsons is still better than average TV, it's just morphed from must view satire to prime time sitcom. It's really more like the modern Flintstones now than anything else.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 03:56 PM

@sek

Did you watch Tracey Ullman?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
It's really more like the modern Flintstones now than anything else.
BOOM! headshot

Mac Elite
May 7, 2013, 03:59 PM

The first decade of The Simpsons literally rewrote television. Futurama was just a funny show with nerd appeal.
Not just a funny show with nerd appeal. A "really" funny show with nerd appeal. (or at least season 1 to 4 are). I've always thought that Futurama was actually funnier than the Simpsons even at its best, it's just not as culturally influential or important. Sometimes funny is enough.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 04:00 PM

Fair enough.

Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2013, 04:17 PM

Futurama is still the only one of those adult-animation shows that breaks the family-with-2-plus-kids mold. That's pretty remarkable.

PS. American Dad makes the best new episodes currently, IMO. It has its duds too, but they all do/did.

Posting Junkie
May 7, 2013, 04:28 PM

@sek

Did you watch Tracey Ullman?
I vaguely seem to remember seeing the very first Simpsons shorts on TU, but to be honest I was only around 5 years old so who knows.

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
PS. American Dad makes the best new episodes currently, IMO. It has its duds too, but they all do/did.
I agree entirely. Family Guy hasn't really been that funny for quite some time, and never was as funny as Simpsons or Futurama in their prime. American Dad isn't hilarious all the time, but at least it's a show with a storyline that doesn't tend to jump off the rails every ten seconds.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 04:33 PM

I vaguely seem to remember seeing the very first Simpsons shorts on TU, but to be honest I was only around 5 years old so who knows.
Did you watch The Simpsons with your parents?

Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2013, 04:38 PM

Family Guy hasn't really been that funny for quite some time, and never was as funny as Simpsons or Futurama in their prime.
I would go so far as to say that Family Guy peaked at season 1 episode 1.

May 7, 2013, 04:44 PM

I remember being really excited that there would be a 4th channel on. It was a really big deal. ( we didn't have cable, and would not, for a several years.) At first all it showed were monster movies (3D!) and i love lucy reruns, but the new programming kicked in and we were thrilled. I loved Tracy Ulman, and vaguely remember the simpsons skits.

Not sure whether I watched the Simpsons regularly though. Probably during/after college, around the same time my friends all got excited about this show called South Park.

Posting Junkie
May 7, 2013, 04:50 PM

Did you watch The Simpsons with your parents?
You bet, they found it hilarious. I had some friends that their parents didn't allow them to watch the Simpsons, yet left them unattended playing Doom 2 for hours.

Bigger surprise was after i had been living on my own for a while I discovered my parents started watching South Park, and really liked it. Now there's a show I could see my mom not liking, but that wasn't the case.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 05:12 PM

You bet, they found it hilarious. I had some friends that their parents didn't allow them to watch the Simpsons, yet left them unattended playing Doom 2 for hours.

Bigger surprise was after i had been living on my own for a while I discovered my parents started watching South Park, and really liked it. Now there's a show I could see my mom not liking, but that wasn't the case.
That's what I was thinking. Some parents would definitely want to keep their kids away from that.

Likewise, it had to have been awesome to rewatch as an adult and discover many new layers. How's about Beavis and Butthead?

The Simpsons occupied a different place for me. As much as I liked it, I was recovering from watching way too much TV in my younger years, so I didn't go out of my way to watch it after awhile.

At least... I did that really dumbass thing people sometimes do where I did watch it faithfully in the beginning. All during Tracey Ullman too.

Then it got popular. Really popular. I stopped liking it because of that. I did say dumbass, remember?

After a couple years, I saw another episode. It was so ****ing good I realized just how much of a dumbass I was being, and vowed never to do that again. In a way, I can't separate the show from that lesson, since it's a pretty important one.

Posting Junkie
May 7, 2013, 05:17 PM

We never had cable. I grew up on a steady diet of Simpsons, PBS, and being outside,

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 05:19 PM

Out what?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I remember being really excited that there would be a 4th channel on. It was a really big deal. ( we didn't have cable, and would not, for a several years.) At first all it showed were monster movies (3D!) and i love lucy reruns, but the new programming kicked in and we were thrilled. I loved Tracy Ulman, and vaguely remember the simpsons skits.

Not sure whether I watched the Simpsons regularly though. Probably during/after college, around the same time my friends all got excited about this show called South Park.
For me, the peak of TV animation from that era were those first few Ren & Stimpys. Would have totally given me nightmares if I was a kid.

Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 06:52 PM

I didn't realize it was still on the air until a few months ago.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 09:51 PM

I remember the first time I saw the Simpsons. I just turned on the channel, and they were playing scrabble, complaining about the bad letters they had, despite the fact they spelled "oxidize".

Simpsons Play scrabble - YouTube

Overall I found the show so refreshing that I enthusiastically mentioned it to my girlfriend who was overseas at the time and had called for a chat. She, who had never seen the show, was pissed off that I wanted to talk about the show instead of about our stuff in our long distance relationship.

Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2013, 10:57 AM

I remember being excited when I read an article in a magazine* that talked about how the guy who did the Life In Hell comic was going to be doing animated shorts. I was a big fan of those books before the Simpsons even existed.

*A "magazine" is similar to a website, only printed on paper and delivered to your house.
( Last edited by ort888; May 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Games Meister
May 8, 2013, 11:06 AM

Aggressive ≠ aggression.
God lord. I couldn't disagree with this, more.

Would ****ing cranky a more apt descriptor?
Flippant. Considering this wasn't the PL and the subject matter, I thought it was reasonable.

There definitely seems to be a segment for whom that totally wrecks it, and a segment for whom it doesn't.
There's an inherent cleverness required to writing an entertaining stupid character. Otherwise they become predictable and irritating.

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
*A "magazine" is similar to a website, only printed on paper and delivered to your house.
Never change, Ort.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2013, 11:31 AM

There's an inherent cleverness required to writing an entertaining stupid character. Otherwise they become predictable and irritating.
I don't disagree, but I'm not sure I get the relation to what you're quoting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules