Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where do you see Apple in 5 years?

Where do you see Apple in 5 years? (Page 5)
Thread Tools
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 11, 2013, 03:46 AM
 
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2013
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2013, 11:00 PM
 
New iCloud Beta... check it out. iOS 7 design language to a "T".

If you want to know what OS 11 is going to look like, head over to www.beta.icloud.com and there it is.

This is consistent with some designs I've seen from friends at Apple regarding OS 11.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 11:02 AM
 
You don't need the "www".
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 12:05 PM
 
Not a fan of the new look - the colors are still too pastel and feminine, the skinny fonts and blurred bgs make things harder to read... hmmm. not a fan, sadly.

In five years, back to dark colors and masculine schemes, plus fat fonts and solid bgs. lol
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2013
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 04:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You don't need the "www".
First, we don't need useless posts like yours.

Second, here it is without the "www".

beta.icloud.com

You are wrong.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 04:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by theothersteve View Post
First, we don't need useless posts like yours.

Second, here it is without the "www".

beta.icloud.com

You are wrong.
You don't need the "www".

http://beta.icloud.com
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2013
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 04:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You don't need the "www".

http://beta.icloud.com
You don't need the "http://".

www.beta.icloud.com

Mine's 4 characters less and easier to type
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 05:00 PM
 
It also doesn't actually resolve, depending upon the ISP (works for me at home, where either the icloud server, or, more likely, my ISP's domain name server, accepts the malformed URL and resolves it to "beta.icloud.com"; does NOT work here where I teach — the broken URL resolves to the ISP's help page).

"www.beta.icloud.com" does not, in fact, exist.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2013
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 05:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It also doesn't actually resolve, depending upon the ISP (works for me at home, where either the icloud server, or, more likely, my ISP's domain name server, accepts the malformed URL and resolves it to "beta.icloud.com"; does NOT work here where I teach — the broken URL resolves to the ISP's help page).

"www.beta.icloud.com" does not, in fact, exist.
It does. It works on the iPad, MacBook Retina, and iMac. So no, it is not true that it doesn't resolve.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by theothersteve View Post
It does. It works on the iPad, MacBook Retina, and iMac. So no, it is not true that it doesn't resolve.

Actually, he's right:

$ host www.beta.icloud.com
www.beta.icloud.com has address 67.215.65.132
Host www.beta.icloud.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

(that IP is the generic OpenDNS search page)


$ host beta.icloud.com
beta.icloud.com is an alias for beta.icloud.com.edgekey.net.
beta.icloud.com.edgekey.net is an alias for e5218.b.akamaiedge.net.
e5218.b.akamaiedge.net has address 184.28.199.36
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 05:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by theothersteve View Post
It does. It works on the iPad, MacBook Retina, and iMac. So no, it is not true that it doesn't resolve.
As I posted that (and stated explicitly), the domain did not resolve on the ISP I was using just then (T-Online Germany).

If it works, it works only because your ISP's domain name server is programmed to figure out that you screwed up the address and remove the "www." before trying again.

I wouldn't have jumped in at all, mind you, save for the fact that you got pissy at Laminar and were actually wrong.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 06:08 PM
 
Spheric Harlot is right. It doesn't work for me at work. It may or may not work on my home network. The bottom line is that some ISPs automatically remove the "www." and some don't. Seems to me that it's best not to rely on that and just post the proper URL which always works. Carry on ....

OAW
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2013, 06:15 PM
 
That requires the "http://" bit, though, because MacNN doesn't parse "beta.icloud.com" as a URL.

     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2013, 02:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Spheric Harlot is right. It doesn't work for me at work. It may or may not work on my home network. The bottom line is that some ISPs automatically remove the "www." and some don't. Seems to me that it's best not to rely on that and just post the proper URL which always works. Carry on ....

OAW

Not that it matters really, but just in case you were curious it's not the ISP that does this, it is DNS servers or web server redirection/rewrite rules. I guess you can say it is the ISP if you use your ISP's DNS servers, but not everybody does that (e.g. many use OpenDNS).
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2013, 03:07 AM
 
I may have mentioned that once...or twice...
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2013, 10:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I wouldn't have jumped in at all, mind you, save for the fact that you got pissy at Laminar and were actually wrong.


It didn't resolve for me unless I manually removed the www.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2