Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > There is no shortcut to Moncton. I looked.

There is no shortcut to Moncton. I looked.
Aug 26, 2013, 03:25 PM

Drove through there twice in the last two weeks, did not find a shortcut. In fact, the road seemed to veer directly opposite the direction we wanted to go, in order to shunt us into Moncton... then on to Truro, Sydney, and then all the way over to Cavendish.

Canada has many many roads.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2013, 03:51 PM

Hah. Actually, there was - it was a sign I believe on the side of the old TCH running through New Brunswick - but that was many years ago, and a new divided highway has since gone in and may have replaced said shortcut. In any case, it was the sort of shortcut that leads you through the middle of absolute nowhere on really shitty roads - pretty dubious.

That sign was also the inspiration for the title of a pretty good song that I happen to like.

Also, no idea why you made it to Truro and Sydney and missed Halifax? Your loss....

Cheers
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Aug 27, 2013, 11:49 AM

Well Truro was just a pitstop on the way to Sydney, which was a central location to explore from. Halifax was discussed and lobbied for, but PEI won out. Too many things to see! We didn't even make it all around the Cabot Trail to Cheticamp, which I really wanted to see. Next time! What do you recommend in Halifax?

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 27, 2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well Truro was just a pitstop on the way to Sydney, which was a central location to explore from. Halifax was discussed and lobbied for, but PEI won out. Too many things to see! We didn't even make it all around the Cabot Trail to Cheticamp, which I really wanted to see. Next time! What do you recommend in Halifax?
For a local dive, I loved John's Lunch. The calamari was the best I've had. There are some nice restaurants downtown, the oysters at Five Fishermen were unbelievable and CUT Steakhouse's lobster poutine blew my mind.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2013, 08:13 AM

Well there's nothing wrong with Cape Breton and PEI, but if you were really looking for an epic outdoor environment, you should've taken the ferry at Sydney and kept on going.

Halifax is also a nice town and I spent a few years there. Downtown peninsula is pretty and a couple main drags and parks to stroll through - Laminar's restaurant choices are good and I'd recommend ELA! for delicious Mediterranean, although I have not been back in a few years now.

Personally I prefer St. John's, but it is quite a bit more isolated, which is saying something.

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Halifax is also a nice town and I spent a few years there. Downtown peninsula is pretty and a couple main drags and parks to stroll through - Laminar's restaurant choices are good and I'd recommend ELA! for delicious Mediterranean, although I have not been back in a few years now.
When I travel I usually just grab Subway or something similar but the food options looks too good not to try. It's been a couple years, but I think I also hit a brewery of some sort, Alexander Keith's maybe?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2013, 07:43 AM

Hah - I always avoid Subway and eat local.

Alexander Keith's, Garrison, Propeller are the breweries I know (Keith's is a big company-owned brew that originally came out of Hali). A couple pubs have their own brews if I recall (Henry House, Hart maybe?).

Some great Irish pubs in Halifax, as you'd expect - not sure if these are kid-friendly trips but I'd recommend the Lower Deck on the waterfront as a good institution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules