Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rant: Colorless Finder

Rant: Colorless Finder
Thread Tools
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2013, 02:24 PM
 
I might have mentioned this before, but i'm baffled by the color choices that Apple is making in its software these days. Example....

Finder in Snow Leopard (Notice the column on the left)


Finder in Lion and beyond


Why the heck would they switch to grayscale? aesthetics? For me seeing distinct color helped me identify the icons more easily and quickly. What is the point of having 'millions of colors' displays if the entire color dimension is ignored in software?

When OSX debuted that had the Aqua and graphite theme for those who needed to subdue the colors in the interface, couldn't they have incorporated that here instead of confining everyone to gray scale? Jeeze...

/end rant..... for now
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 23, 2013 at 08:43 PM. )
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2013, 02:28 PM
 
That's because Snow Leopard has a soul.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2013, 02:36 PM
 
Color is the past. Embrace your future monochromatic dystopia.
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2013, 02:49 PM
 
While we're at it, yes, the old scrollbar in all it's jelly goodness was overkill, but I hate the skinny light grey hover scrollbars. The hitzone is too tiny.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2013, 04:26 PM
 
What's worse is it covering data. If you want to pick the last item in a window, you have to wait for the horizontal scroll to fade.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2013, 04:56 PM
 
What's funny is that as of iTunes 11.1.2, the sidebar icons in iTunes are now colored again!
     
zro
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The back of the room
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2013, 12:31 AM
 
Invisible controls can jump into a lake of fireants!

Sooo glad I stopped at 10.6.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2013, 02:21 AM
 
You can turn them on permanently. It's a system preference.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2013, 03:06 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
What's worse is it covering data. If you want to pick the last item in a window, you have to wait for the horizontal scroll to fade.
This really REALLY annoys me. It's completely unforgivable that a basic UI element gets in the way of the data. Idiotic!
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2013, 03:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You can turn them on permanently. It's a system preference.
I keep my scrollbars on. Helps me know where I'm at. [/frood]
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2013, 04:34 PM
 
Aperture before and after the 3.3 update.

     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2013, 04:48 PM
 
Maybe the new UI guy at Apple is color blind?
     
zro
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The back of the room
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 03:17 AM
 
Doesn't mean we all have to be!

How can someone not understand how much easier it is to target all these widgets, even from the periphery of vision?
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 09:06 AM
 
Color is more expensive and now that Apple is giving away OS X, they've got to save money, right?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 09:09 AM
 
If iTunes' sidebar is anything to go by, it'll be back in a year or two.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 10:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by osiris View Post
That's because Snow Leopard has a soul.


I actually have an external drive with a SL install which I boot into from time-to-time. I'm thinking of trying to downgrade to SL on my internal drive. Having to give up Rosetta for a colorless finder is a raw deal. I'm starting to think that SL was the last great release of OSX.

It seems like they drained the color out of OSX and poured it all into iOS. The result..... both are worse than they were (in this particular regard). IMHO
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 10:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post


I actually have an external drive with a SL install which I boot into from time-to-time. I'm thinking of trying to downgrade to SL on my internal drive. Having to give up Rosetta for a colorless finder is a raw deal. I'm starting to think that SL was the last great release of OSX.
I never thought of that - I may pick up an external and do a time machine backup with SL on it. Gives me an exit strategy. I only have a handful of Rosetta needy apps, sadly one is a 15 year old AI project, though the little guy is now more of a drunken Joe Pesce than anything else.

Perhaps another discussion, but SL has a certain analog feel to it compared to the digital age of Lion/ML/Mavericks. Can't explain it other than the deeply rooted Notifcations, Twitter, & App store etc kinda bugs me. Damn kids today.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 10:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Perhaps another discussion, but SL has a certain analog feel to it compared to the digital age of Lion/ML/Mavericks. Can't explain it other than the deeply rooted Notifcations, Twitter, & App store etc kinda bugs me. Damn kids today.
I have the same feelings regarding the newer cats as well, just couldn't put my finger on it. They feel very 'automatic' (for things i don't want) and very 'cloud'/'connected'/'heavy'.

I initially upgraded to Lion because i was under the impression that i *had* to in order to keep using iCloud (my primary email). that was the only reason i bothered putting Lion on my Mac, and it turned into more of an inconvenience(by doing away with Rosetta, and the colorless finder among other minor gripes) than a benefit for me personally.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 01:52 PM
 
I have some legacy After Effects* stuff which won't run past SL, so I get to run it for the rest of my natural life.

I've got 5 Minis acting as (hopefully) a lifetime supply of compatible hardware.



*The original Cinelook. Still haven't found a "film look" plugin as good, especially when it comes to damaged film. It's my ace in the hole because very few people still have access to it on machines which can sorta handle 4K rendering.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 01:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I have some legacy* After Effects stuff which won't run past SL, so I get to run it for the rest of my natural life.

I've got 5 Minis acting as my lifetime supply of compatible hardware.



*The original Cinelook. Still haven't found a "film look" plugin as good, especially when it comes to damaged film. It's my ace in the hole because very few people still have access to it on machines which can sorta handle 4K rendering.
holy crap, I haven't heard that name in years - I had every single Cinelook DigiEffects filter for AE, I made an AD agency pay for it lol. That was the best - highly customizable and beautiful quality. Nothing comes close!
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2013, 02:13 PM
 
Unfortunately, I only had the dough to foot for the SD version back in the day, but the damage filter is full res, so I still use that all the time. I'm "lucky" in the sense h.264 kills grain anyway, so I don't make much use of the grain portion. If I do, I plan for several days of codec tweaking.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: God's Country
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 02:03 PM
 
I had the misfortune of having to try to use those damn hover scrollbars on someone's machine the other day. It was unbelievably frustrating - as andi*pandi said, the hitzone is waaaay too small when you're trying to quickly scroll in a document.

I was thinking I might upgrade my MacBook to Lion or Mountain Lion, but I think I'm just going to stay on SL. Every iteration of OS X beyond 10.6 is just a hot mess.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 03:05 PM
 
As irritating as the scroll bars are, you very rarely have to use them with two-finger scroll.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 04:19 PM
 
The target size for the scrollbars is actually exactly the same size as in 10.6.
They swell up when you mouse over to them.

So that's not an issue at all.
(In fact, scrollbars are pretty much useless except as a status indicator if you have a proper trackpad/Magic Mouse.)

What IS an issue, as mentioned, is that the ****ers show as soon as you scroll, obscuring the bottom item of a list in Finder windows, so you have to wait for them to recede if you scroll to the bottom of a window to work with that last item there.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 04:30 PM
 
They're still handy for 1,000+ entry scrolling, but otherwise, in the way.

Also, they don't start at full size.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 04:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Also, they don't start at full size.
Yes, they do, if you're near them with the mouse.

If you're not, why would you want them at full size?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 04:56 PM
 
Because I have a limited amount of time to hit the bar before it fades. Since the OS makes me feel like it's a frigging race to do a basic function, my precision isn't at its best.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: God's Country
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 05:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
As irritating as the scroll bars are, you very rarely have to use them with two-finger scroll.
Scrolling works for a lot of stuff, but if you have an enormous amount of content (like an inbox with several thousand emails in it), being able to quickly jump via the scrollbar is really useful.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The target size for the scrollbars is actually exactly the same size as in 10.6.
They swell up when you mouse over to them.

So that's not an issue at all.
(In fact, scrollbars are pretty much useless except as a status indicator if you have a proper trackpad/Magic Mouse.)
I'd say that the number of people here talking about how much they dislike the new scrollbars is a pretty good legitimate indicator that yes, it is quite the issue. It works for you, but I'm quite certain we in this conversation are not the only people who think the UI change sucks dick.

The target size for the scrollbars to mouse over to them in order to use them is retardedly small. The fact that they are hidden until you scroll is a UI inconsistency that is confusing, annoying, and problematic for users.

Are you able to accept that there are those of us who simply dislike the change, and that your opinion about it is not objective fact?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 06:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Scrolling works for a lot of stuff, but if you have an enormous amount of content (like an inbox with several thousand emails in it), being able to quickly jump via the scrollbar is really useful.
Yeah. I'd say they're still handy for 1,000+ entry scrolling.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 06:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'd say that the number of people here talking about how much they dislike the new scrollbars is a pretty good legitimate indicator that yes, it is quite the issue. It works for you, but I'm quite certain we in this conversation are not the only people who think the UI change sucks dick.
When will you start reading what I write, and stop replying to what you'd like to think I wrote?

I've pointed out or agreed with two separate clear and annoying issues with scrollbars in Mountain Lion/Mavericks. These issues suck.

Now, can we talk, or shall I dance around here with an Apple logo on my face and pretend to love all thing Apple just to humour your vision of reality?

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
The target size for the scrollbars to mouse over to them in order to use them is retardedly small.
The scroller itself is thinner when you're just scrolling with a wheel or two fingers, but the instant you approach it with the mouse, the target is exactly the same width as it has been for the past decade.

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Are you able to accept that there are those of us who simply dislike the change, and that your opinion about it is not objective fact?
There are numerous issues with scrollbars in OS X post-Snow Leopard, but THIS PARTICULAR ISSUE YOU CHOOSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT DOES NOT EXIST.

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
The fact that they are hidden until you scroll is a UI inconsistency that is confusing, annoying, and problematic for users.
This issue is, indeed, a problem, and a compromise I'm unsure of whether to agree with on a daily basis.
I disagree that it is an "inconsistency". It is an interface issue.

It actually exists because it was implemented precisely FOR consistency — with iOS.

I don't think it makes sense on the desktop OS, but consistency is precisely why it was done in the first place.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: God's Country
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 07:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There are numerous issues with scrollbars in OS X post-Snow Leopard, but THIS PARTICULAR ISSUE YOU CHOOSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT DOES NOT EXIST.
The thing is, I used that damn new scrollbar, and it sucked. Trying to mouse over to it to scroll quickly was a pain in the ass. Finding a sliver of grey among lines and lines and lines of black-on-grey text was a pain in the ass.

So yes, the issue does exist. YOU don't mind it, but that doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way.

I don't see things some special way just to be a douche. The problem is that when people state their frustrations with Apple's design, products, software, or way of doing things, you immediately jump to the defensive and tell us that our frustrations are simply wrong. Not that you disagree with them or that whatever we're complaining about isn't an issue for you, but that the issue is apparently a figment of our imaginations.

These opinions from others in this conversation are not lies, nor are they imaginative figments designed to give you more fuel to defend Apple to the death:

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
While we're at it, yes, the old scrollbar in all it's jelly goodness was overkill, but I hate the skinny light grey hover scrollbars. The hitzone is too tiny.
Originally Posted by subego View Post
What's worse is it covering data. If you want to pick the last item in a window, you have to wait for the horizontal scroll to fade.
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Because I have a limited amount of time to hit the bar before it fades. Since the OS makes me feel like it's a frigging race to do a basic function, my precision isn't at its best.
These are statements from people who use Apple's products every goddamn day and are frustrated with how Lion changed the scrollbars - particularly with regards to size and visibility.

It actually exists because it was implemented precisely FOR consistency — with iOS.
So Apple's insistent that they don't want a unified experience across all devices (e.g. their vehement refusal to implement touch screens in laptops and desktops with an accompanying unified touch interface) but want to half-ass elements of iOS into OS X updates (the Launchpad, which is a bastardized, non-touch version of the iOS springboard, and these stupid scroll bars, which make sense on a small, constrained, all-touch device but make zero sense in a traditional computer environment) and claim that it's for consistency. Brilliant.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 07:51 PM
 
Maybe I wasn't clear:

Apple didn't claim that it was for consistency.

That's my personal theory, because it's the only way in hell it makes any sense at all.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Irvine, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2013, 09:02 PM
 
I always have my scrollbars enabled. Apple is being too minimalistic; it is starting to hurt its users.
{{{ mindwaves }}}
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2013, 09:13 AM
 
I have enabled the scrollbars as well. Now that I check based on Spheric's comments, the hitzone is more than the grey bar itself... but somehow it is still uncomfortable. I still try to hit the grey bar. And even with the leeway, I still manage to miss!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2013, 09:18 AM
 
How can I make the scroll button on the right stop hiding itself? It fukin sucks
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2013, 10:14 AM
 
System Preferences --> General.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I have enabled the scrollbars as well. Now that I check based on Spheric's comments, the hitzone is more than the grey bar itself... but somehow it is still uncomfortable. I still try to hit the grey bar. And even with the leeway, I still manage to miss!
If you have scroll bars shown at all times, the hit zone is exactly the same size and width as it has been for a decade.

Unless I misunderstood, shif's somplaint was that the target is much smaller when you have scroll bars set to auto-hide/show. This is not the case. As you mouse over to the scroll thumb, it grows to the exact same size it was under 10.6.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2013, 03:39 PM
 
The problem is the hit zone disappears. If the hit zone was static, it wouldn't matter.

When you're two finger scrolling you lose track of your pointer. You have to reacquire the pointer, and race to the micro-hit zone before it disappears.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2013, 04:59 PM
 
Yep.

It's either "race to the hit zone", or it's "wait for the shit to fade so you can work"
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2013, 06:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
System Preferences --> General.

YEAH YOU MADE MY DAY
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2013, 03:48 AM
 
There are a couple of utilities to bring color back to the Finder but they require SIMBL, not sure if everyone is going to like that.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2013, 12:49 AM
 
I wonder if the diagnostic info sent to Apple includes whether people change the default scroll bars and scrolling direction. I must be getting old because I like the way it was.

I'm still on Snow Leopard and don't see any reason to upgrade. I absolutely hate the loss of color in iTunes and Finder icons and I shouldn't have to mess with scroll bars hiding. Maybe the people with auto-hide docks like it.
ATT iPhone 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
http://twitter.com/SSharon27
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2013, 08:05 AM
 
There were a lot of things I really liked about Snow Leopard...but the later OS's really make it much easier to navigate without the standalone keyboard/mouse combo. Recently used Snow Leopard on a friend's home theatre and advised him to immediately upgrade.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2013, 01:45 PM
 
ML is a far superior HTPC OS.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2014 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2