Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Punctuation Changing?

Is Punctuation Changing? (Page 3)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You liked that? Sometimes slipping out of one's typical persona, even just a little, is a nice way to make a point.
I did, but I thought you were going a step further by ranting* about poor use of language, and then flipping into phonetic spelling. Like "see? Dis sux!"

*Glenn is to rant like Teddy bear is to Axe Cop.

Administrator
Dec 3, 2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
To chime in on a related note: other than the women (who tend to have better handwriting in general in my experience), almost every professional I know has near-illegible handwriting. Almost every dentist, doctor, engineer and lawyer that I know has famously bad handwriting. I have bad handwriting.

The answer, I suspect, lies with "does not give a shit". Because it's a near-useless skill and matters not a bit in the real world.
Most of the "horrible handwriting" doctors I know (and know of) are also exceptionally anti-computerized documentation. Some would say that this is a reflection of their stubbornness, but I think a lot of them don't want to actually have to produce documentation that is legible because they don't feel they can support their medical decisions with a real rationale. In this case it matters INCREDIBLY in the real world; this is a sphere where doctors and lawyers mix very unpleasantly, and malpractice liability is a really, really big issue. And that applies to doctors, dentists, lawyers, everyone who produces written material that documents their professional acts.

There's an old saying (in health care and other areas): if it isn't written down, it didn't happen. You can't bill for any services without a paper trail justifying your bill by documenting the service you provided, and "the job ain't done 'till you finish the paper work" is part of "health care professional 101," (and probably law and other schools) so if you're right about these professionals "not giving a shit," then do they want to get paid for their work? I'll bet they do, which, again, shows that written (even if typed) communication DOES matter in the real world.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules