Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CES 2014 (With All Caps!)

CES 2014 (With All Caps!)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2014, 01:32 PM

Missed the excitement this year. Anything better than naked chicks and a fork?

Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2014, 05:19 AM

Massive curved screen TVs, wearable stuff like watches, glasses and earpieces, a new Oculus Rift, 3D printing and scanning, 50 Cent thinks Minecraft isn't a finished game, and Michael Bay, well, this Michael Bay quits Samsung's press conference - YouTube

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2014, 04:16 PM

The race to the bottom for phone prices has begun. You can now buy a decent smartphone for less than $100, unlocked, no contract. This will hurt the high end players.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2014, 05:58 PM

Curved screens strike me as the 3D of 2014. What a useless addition.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2014, 06:46 PM

What is it with Samsung events where they don't have audience mics? That "big round of applause" always sounds like golf claps.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2014, 06:55 PM

In the "swag for The Lord" department, here is my favorite Jesuit priest's haul from this year:

Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2014, 07:18 PM

Bless me, father...

Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2014, 10:10 PM

Here I thought I did well with all the Samsung and LG stuff (but I didn't have to go). Nice haul, padre.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2014, 12:47 AM

Oh, and my Audeze promo swag. This is $3500 in headphones. I'm not joking.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2014, 08:25 AM

1. I was on a headphone kick a couple years ago, but eventually got out of it - it is easier and cheaper to get super-resolving sound from 'phones than from a speaker setup, but I just prefer the big soundstage that speakers throw. Having said that, I'm a huge sucker for natural wood on headphones - those are beauty.

2. Curved TVs - yes, has to absolutely be this year's 3D, right? I have a 3D-capable TV but have never used it...and Gravity is still the only movie that has ever made me think that I should buy some glasses. I don't know...what happens if you're viewing from an angle to the TV outside of its frame width, like 97% of the households I've been in? Wouldn't it give you the very distortion they're claiming to correct? I mean, I'm pretty sure IMAX screens are slightly curved, but it seems fairly slight given the viewing distance, and it must be easier when everyone is viewing from within the TV frame. Really weird...seems like a very dubious solution to a problem that I'm not sure anyone thought existed, which...means...TV manufacturers have likely realized we're starting to reach saturation for large-screen TVs in first-world homes? Waiting for cheaper OLEDs here....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2014, 10:37 AM

After the total failure of 3D, they needed the next gimmick to convince people to get a new TV.

We were approached by a company in the 3D market a couple of years back to help them update their business strategy. We advised at the time to sell the company. They gave us 50 reasons why we were wrong, we walked away, a year later they were out of business.

Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2014, 11:58 AM

Open planar headphones have a very large soundstage, not as good as a well placed stereo system, but a lot better than a smaller desktop rig. It's really amazing what Stax, Audeze, and HifiMan have been able to do with that tech. My only real beef is with the weight of most of them, 750g is too much.
- Thomas Paine

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2014, 01:05 PM

Do you find a difference in that regard with those closed cans?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules