Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Prosthetic Makeup

Prosthetic Makeup (Page 6)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2014, 09:11 PM

I figured I should post the "standard view".

If all goes well, I should have pictures of it attached to a human in a few hours.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2014, 12:43 AM

And, here you go...

It actually works.

I didn't account for the weight of the mask causing her skin to sag, but other than that, I think I handed that asshole his lunch.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2014, 12:51 AM

Works for me.

The mask is alright too.

Next time someone asks you to arrange a cyborg mask for a zombie schoolgirl, you'll totally have it covered.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2014, 12:57 AM

Many, many, many thanks to everybody who helped out! It would have been an absolute disaster without it!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2014, 01:56 AM

Of course, pleasure is fleeting as the adhesive didn't hold through the rehearsal.

I'm hoping it's due to us doing makeup first. Which then got in the way of a good bond. Likewise, I didn't realize you're supposed to let the adhesive dry first. I used far less adhesive than I could have because I felt I was racing to coat things before they dried.

Still, tomorrow's going to be a nail biter.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2014, 02:58 AM

Wasn't quite as bad as I thought. What was supposed to equal about four quarters worth of adhesive area only ended up about the area of two dimes.

But those areas which stuck weren't coming off. She was a trooper for dealing with getting her skin stretched out like that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2014, 05:51 AM

Here's a head-on view.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2014, 06:48 AM

Nice.

Administrator
Jun 27, 2014, 08:06 AM

Ditto.

It probably was the makeup that gave you problems with adhesion, but there's a way around getting the makeup under the edge of the appliance. Once the appliance is on, the makeup is applied all the way up to the edge - which leaves an obvious line at the edge, right? So now you put some plastic wrap under the very edge of the appliance and daub the base makeup under the edge. It doesn't take getting more than half a millimeter under the edge, you just have to keep the edge itself clear of the makeup.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2014, 11:11 AM

Couldn't you hold it in place and apply the makeup around the edge first to mark it then cheat it in a little bit. Then glue it on after makeup?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2014, 03:50 PM

@Glenn

Thank you! I'm not sure I understand the plastic wrap idea.

@BLAZE

That's exactly what we did. I think we cheated too far. It's even going to be more difficult taking account for the sag.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2014, 12:39 AM

Stayed on during the show. Much better deal this time. Things got so hectic I forgot to worry about it at some point.

My wireless DMX box worked too.

Totally crazy bullshit night otherwise, though.

Administrator
Jun 28, 2014, 06:46 PM

Plastic wrap is like masking tape, but so thin it won't impinge on the appliance. Makeup can be applied all the way to the skin, and the plastic keeps it off the appliance - but there's usually enough room to get just under the edge.

I used this with a plaster forehead mask once to great effect. Once the mask was on, we slid the plastic wrap under the edge, daubed on base makeup, moving along the edge until it was all done. We had to shift the plastic once because of the shape of the mask, but we allowed the liquid base to dry before moving it, so there weren't any smears.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2014, 08:17 PM

Gotcha! What threw me was the liquid makeup. That would totally work. Unfortunately we use creme stick, so it never actually dries. The plastic wrap would smear everything along the edge.

I'm a little more relaxed about it now. Makeup is going to get on it, there's likely no getting around it. As long as we're careful, it'll only get on the edge, which isn't a huge deal. My original tests were... aggressive. Big hunk of the makeup ground in with my finger.

If it comes to the worst, I can repaint the edges. It's supposed to be distressed looking anyway.

We use the creme purely for ease of application and removal on nine people in the washroom of a bar.

I finally tracked down the Hollywood method after looking for over a decade: PAX paint, which stands for "[P]rosthetic [A]dhesive [X] (times) acrylic paint". Powdering it when you're done stops it from sticking to the outside world. Won't come off without a solvent. I'm strongly considering it when it comes time to shoot videos.

Big caveat with PAX paint is don't open your eyes until you've powdered. If you do, your eyelid gonna get glued open.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM. )

Jun 29, 2014, 10:39 PM

turned out fab! glad you removed the little goggle bit. She looks excellent.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2014, 10:42 PM

Thank you!

But the goggle bit is actually still there.

Jun 30, 2014, 05:20 AM

ah, it's an angle thing. From the front you can't see it at all!

I hope the director and all are heaping you with praise.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2014, 05:25 PM

Had a little rest, so it's time to dive into the robogauntlet.

I've felt a little lost on it. The first idea I've anchored onto is to have the fingers be hypodermic needles. I'm waiting for a response from the director on that idea.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2014, 05:37 PM

I may have been inspired by one of these from the role-playing game Deadlands: Hell on Earth (think magical Wild West meets post-apocalypse).

Administrator
Jul 5, 2014, 05:56 PM

That could prove dangerous to the actress and other cast members. Perhaps suction cups?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2014, 06:17 PM

Or heroin.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2014, 09:08 PM

I'd keep the fingers as fingers and build up the back of the hand into something device-like. With frikkin laser beams.

Black glove, PVC piping wrist/arm, backs of fingers built up into sectional resin shapes (glued or sewn onto glove), hoses running from back of hand to resin fingertips... easy peasy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2014, 09:14 PM

Laser beams are an interesting conundrum. I'm not afraid of causing actual eye damage to someone in the audience, but I'm thinking that won't necessarily stop people from complaining about it.

I wanted the mask to have lazorz.

Edit: Really like the PVC arm idea. Took a second for me to catch up with it.

Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2014, 07:58 AM

There are some specialty LED lights that produce a bright beam because they've cast the lens into the LED body. They come in lots of colors, several sizes, and some are very small. Model airplane guys are using these for landing lights and such, and I use them as replacement headlights on HO scale steam engines. Those spotlight type LEDs' I use in the engines project a beam about 5 feet. The "Beam" style LED's are usually in the 5-15 buck range.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2014, 04:43 PM

I will definitely check those out. I've been limiting my LED search to the Radio Shack around the corner.

Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2014, 09:32 PM

Once upon a time you could have relied on some concerned citizen in the crowd to provide a little bit of smoke to highlight the beam.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2014, 12:45 AM

Ugh. That's been totally pissing me off.

We need a hazer, even without the lasers, but they're gross, and I don't want to fight with venue owners about it.

It would really help though. I have all this floor lighting, it would be far cooler if I had some definition for the beams.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2014, 02:20 AM

See? Now I'm reading hazer hype sheets.

Zero odor! Zero residue!

You tempt me so, but can I trust claims in defiance of the basic laws of physics?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2014, 06:20 AM

@Face Ache

Were you imagining the PVC along the forearm as being chopped up into various "plates"?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2014, 08:24 AM

I wasn't thinking that much about it, sub. I have other things to do, you know.

But now I think about it... I wouldn't do plates*. Things could get messy and unnecessarily complicated. I guess I was thinking (briefly) about something like this...

... but with a smaller diameter pipe and a more complicated design (to match your face piece).

You can save yourself some time by chopping up a Nerf pistol and glueing bits onto the tube.

*Edit: Oh, unless you mean "plates" like the pic above. In that case, I'd go for it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2014, 08:30 AM

That picture offers up the question to which various plates was one answer.

What's the "proper" way to cut groves like that in PVC?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2014, 08:33 AM

To do plates as above I'd use two lengths of the same PVC pipe. Cut a line down one, slide that over the inner pipe, heat and cool it so it won't spring back, draw the plates on the outer pipe, cut it into parts, smooth them and glue them back onto the inner pipe.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2014, 08:25 PM

Last question (for the moment ) Cut with a Dremel, or does PVC have its own tool?

Thank you kindly!

Administrator
Jul 7, 2014, 09:31 PM

You'll need a guide for dremel work if you want smooth lines. One way to get consistent depth would be to cut the desired lines, then partially fill back in with caulk to uniform depth. Beware most caulk will shrink a little as it cures.

Administrator
Jul 8, 2014, 08:23 AM

PVC is easy to cut with simple tools. I've used a table saw, a hack saw, a razor saw, etc. As reader50 points out, freehand cutting or scribing on PVC is tricky and you will definitely need a guide to make smooth cuts. And you'll need a lot of patience, since any really high speed cutter will heat and soften the plastic while you're cutting it. Instead of engraving or scribing, think hard about using thinner material and just cutting it into chunks you'll apply to a foundation piece. As a bonus, you can warm PVC in an oven (at a fairly low temperature!!!) and make it pliable so that it will conform to the foundation piece's shape. But for that sort of thing, I'd use thin glazing polycarbonate instead - it comes in sheets, it becomes pliable at a lower temperature, and it's easier to cut into complex shapes.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2014, 02:30 AM

These have potential...

Got some PVC. The schedule 40 stuff is pretty frigging thick.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2014, 01:14 AM

You know, I've been cagey about making it too easy to identify me, but I've decided that's stupid in this day and age.

Come follow our band: Candy Town

Facebook: Candy Town

On Twitter we're @RavenswoodOcean. You have to type the whole thing. Our SEO blows. Searching for "candy town" gets you an old, defunct account we can't get rid of.

Unfortunately, we're in a long stretch where people want the PG rated show, so no zombie schoolgirl, or burlesque dancers, but the next time we play a bar, the zombie comes out to play.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 23, 2014 at 01:52 AM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Come follow our band: Candy Town
My cup of tea! Love it.

Are you the chick in the bustier?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2014, 01:42 PM

Thank you!

Alas, no. I'm right behind the camera, thus invisible.

Which is how I like it!
( Last edited by subego; Jul 23, 2014 at 02:00 PM. )

Jul 23, 2014, 03:44 PM

cool stuffs.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2014, 02:31 PM

Thank you, most kindly!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2014, 02:10 PM

Guess who may be leaving the band...

If I'm doing this again, I'm making a real face mold this time. I feel I should have it done to me first, so that's in the queue.

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 3, 2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Guess who may be leaving the band...
Was it Kyle?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2014, 03:46 PM

Not the greatest pic, but a (heavily filtered) pic of the second, and likely final time the mask will see action.

I put an extra anchor point on it, and it seems like it won't fall off the face during a gig, but it's overbuilt, way heavier than it needs to be, which runs counter to the goal of having it stay on.

Still, not bad for my first attempt!

Forum Links
Forum Rules