Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Comcast v Ryan Block

Comcast v Ryan Block (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2014, 03:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
My Comcast horror story was needing four individual appointments to get a CableCard installed.

IIRC, it went something like this...

Right off the bat I said I wanted to do a self install, they said they don't do that.

First appointment: took three hours, no luck. All the cards were duds.

Second appointment: didn't have the correct CableCards.

Third appointment. Never showed up. Ended up in a huge fight with a CSR, who claimed he "understood how I felt" after being three days in the hole on this. Actually, no, you don't.

Fourth appointment: didn't have any CableCards, but helpfully mentions "you can do a self install on these, that would be a lot easier for you".
That's really "weird". Back a few years ago, shortly after our youngest son gave us a 46" Philips Plasma TV as a present, it did have a slot for a cable card, and I was able to go down to a local Comcast store, pick it up, and install it myself. Later on, of course, Comcast stopped supporting the cable cards, and I had to connect a box to the TV. I returned the cable card without any hassles.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2014, 09:19 PM
 
I would have been able to do that too, if I didn't have a CSR flat-out insist it wasn't possible.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2014, 09:23 PM
 
Was talking to a friend who said their dad used the "I have terminal cancer" line when asked for why he wanted to cancel. This caused the CSR to start crying. She had to call her supervisor over to help her pull it together.

I'd feel bad, but he actually does have terminal cancer.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2014, 09:54 PM
 
My very first call to Comcast customer service a long while back was about my cable internet no longer working. After grinding through the normal questions he asked me to open up control panel to get my network settings. I told him I had a Mac and he responds "Oh, I'm sorry, our service is not compatible with Macintosh" Uhh yes it is, since I've been using it for months at this point. Eventually got to a supervisor and he sent a reset packet to my modem and everything worked fine. To this day I've never heard of any internet connection being platform specific.

Best CSR experience was with Earthlink Internet (dial-up). Not only did they have an option for callers who were tech savvy in the menus, the rep actually had me delete my TCP/IP preference file because it was a common problem with Macs at the time (OS 8.5?). This was of course not related to Earthlink but he helped me anyways. Great company, but I don't miss dial-up.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 08:37 AM
 
So, when this story makes it all the way onto mainstream tv and radio news in the UK (BBC yesterday) complete with self style expert commentators on customer relations, you have to feel that Comcast are really in the smelly.

Not that the name Comcast means anything to anyone over here. Or didn't before.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 01:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My very first call to Comcast customer service a long while back was about my cable internet no longer working. After grinding through the normal questions he asked me to open up control panel to get my network settings. I told him I had a Mac and he responds "Oh, I'm sorry, our service is not compatible with Macintosh" Uhh yes it is, since I've been using it for months at this point. Eventually got to a supervisor and he sent a reset packet to my modem and everything worked fine. To this day I've never heard of any internet connection being platform specific.
Whenever I call regarding such issues (and any similar ones), I first state very specifically that I am using a Mac, not a Windows machine. I then repeat that again. In just about all instances, that alleviates any such BS you had to put up with.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 02:12 PM
 
The only Mac related problem I've ever had was needing to get into a cable modem which wouldn't render properly in Safari.

They wanted me to use Firefox, which was a problem because I couldn't get it because my cable modem wasn't working.


I did have a tech once say my cable modem may not be working because of my wifi. My head almost exploded on that one.
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 03:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I did have a tech once say my cable modem may not be working because of my wifi. My head almost exploded on that one.
It's particularly frustrating if you want to clue the guy in on the fact that you know what you're talking about. Yet, they insist on following their script: Is it plugged in? Have you tried turning it off and on?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 04:08 PM
 
After hearing all of those things on the tape they play when you're on hold.

Someone dig up the xkcd.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 04:10 PM
 
xkcd: Tech Support




Rollover: I recently had someone go ask me to turn on a computer so I could restart it. He refused to move further in the script until I had done that.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 04:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Not that the name Comcast means anything to anyone over here. Or didn't before.
Here, the name Comcast means "utter shit" to the point they're trying to change it to Xfinity.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 04:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
My Comcast horror story was needing four individual appointments to get a CableCard installed.

IIRC, it went something like this...

Right off the bat I said I wanted to do a self install, they said they don't do that.

First appointment: took three hours, no luck. All the cards were duds.

Second appointment: didn't have the correct CableCards.

Third appointment. Never showed up. Ended up in a huge fight with a CSR, who claimed he "understood how I felt" after being three days in the hole on this. Actually, no, you don't.

Fourth appointment: didn't have any CableCards, but helpfully mentions "you can do a self install on these, that would be a lot easier for you".

Cablecards are just the worst... or rather, cable companies handling of cable cards is just the worst.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 05:24 PM
 
The cheat code is self install with at least four cards on hand.

Once you get a card which hasn't been smoked, it's "merely" a question of finding someone in the activation department who knows what they're doing.
     
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 11:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I like.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2014, 11:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Cablecards are just the worst... or rather, cable companies handling of cable cards is just the worst.
Man, am I ever glad that most (maybe all?) TVs recently manufactured do not even have a cable card slot, but have at least one HDMI port (and of course the standard "normal" ports to plug in all the wires associated with the picture and the audio). HDMI is a perfect example of the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple Stupid. Ain't that the truth!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2014, 03:57 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Here, the name Comcast means "utter shit" to the point they're trying to change it to Xfinity.
That's some awesome corporate thinking there. Tehn in 18 months the name Xfinity will also mean "utter shit" and they can spend another 250,00 on re rebranding.

Or they could like, train staff?

The trouble is the re re branding is probably cheaper given that Comcast (appear from here) to be a virtual monopoly provider in many places.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2014, 11:34 AM
 
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2014, 12:52 PM
 
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2014, 12:59 PM
 
XFINITY = INFINITE money extraction

-t
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2014, 01:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Hahahahahahahahah
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2014, 02:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
That's some awesome corporate thinking there. Tehn in 18 months the name Xfinity will also mean "utter shit" and they can spend another 250,00 on re rebranding.

Or they could like, train staff?

The trouble is the re re branding is probably cheaper given that Comcast (appear from here) to be a virtual monopoly provider in many places.
What's even funnier is they were utterly incapable of making the clean break. It's been more than a year, and whether it's Xfinity or Comcast at any given moment is entirely arbitrary.

I keep on wanting to tell them "you think you're hiding, but you know... we can still see your butt."
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2