Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How to start watching Game of Thrones !?

How to start watching Game of Thrones !?
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2016, 07:56 AM

Hey everybody,

I thought about starting to watch Game of Thrones. I bought the first season on DVD... I watched five episodes and I'm clueless. Who is who? What do I have to know? Which war has there been? Which conflict is now important? I thought there was some constant power play going on and you should know, right. Then there are interactions between the characters, but which? Which are important?

Should I do nothing, just keep watching? Should I read up about it on the web? I looked everything up in Wikipedia and the entry on the first season, in German, is actually a bit small, nothing fancy. No help.

Any ideas?
Greetings,
PeterParker
Think a new age is coming.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2016, 09:38 AM

Just keep watching.

At the start there is peace in the realm after a war that happened before episode 1 where a mad king was overthrown.

The mad king was a Targaryen, like the brother and sister you will have seen who are across the sea in a different land.
His allies the Lannisters turned on him and are now allied closely to the new King Robert Baratheon who married Cersei Lannister as his queen. She is really in love with her brother Jamie and it looks like all her kids are also really her nieces and nephews.
King Robert's best mate is Ned Stark who keeps the peace up north on the king's behalf. He has a wife and 5 kids. They all have wolves.

King Robert has an illegitimate son called Gendry who works for a blacksmith.

Those are the main ones for now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Sep 19, 2016, 11:25 AM

just watch, and stay away from the web until after you've seen it.

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 19, 2016, 11:35 AM

It's really confusing at first because they don't do the thing that every TV show does where they explain the whole history to you right away. You learn more details about who people are and what happened over time, heck we didn't find out about Hodor's history until this last season.

P
Sep 19, 2016, 04:32 PM

Part of the allure is that you don't get told what happened from on high, but get to figure out what happened, but basically..

The land it is all happening in is called Seven Kingdoms, on a continent called Westeros. Seven Kingdoms used to be ruled by a noble house called the Targayens, until a rebellion about 15 years ago. The Rebellion overthrew the last Targayen King (The Mad King) and replaced him with a guy called Robert Baratheon - he's the fat guy who is the king as the show starts. His best friend is Ned Stark, Sean Bean's character, who becomes Hand of the King (basically prime minister) at the start of the show. Ned and his children are the main protagonists early on. The enemies in the early political game is mostly another family called the Lannisters, another noble family that ended up supporting the rebellion eventually but was loyal to Targayens first. Robert's Queen, Cersei, is of that family. They're easily recognized by all being blonde.

Two more groups bear mentioning. The last Targayens are Viserys and Daenerys, currently in exile. Daenerys, who will be a major character, is married of to a Dothraki khal, a chief of a nomadic horse people, early one. They have extremely white hair and slightly alien features.

There is also a group call the Night's Watch at the far north of Westeros. They guard a high wall made of ice and snow against invasion from the north. Jon Snow, a bastard snow of Ned Stark, joins them early on.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2016, 06:19 PM

I've only watched the first season myself, but I also remember being very confused about everything for a while. It all starts to make sense eventually.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Sep 20, 2016, 05:44 PM

Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2016, 06:02 PM

How do you start watching Game of Thrones?

You just start watching Game of Thrones.

Goodnight and HTJI

Sep 23, 2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I've only watched the first season myself, but I also remember being very confused about everything for a while. It all starts to make sense eventually.
My wife and I endured season one and then vowed "No more." To us, the show was nothing but bloodshed, brutality and sex, with a pretty pedestrian "story" stapled on. Nothing related to story seemed to happen unless it was either preceeded or followed by brutal violence. It just wasn't entertainment.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2016, 11:21 PM

Okay... but the other 99% of the population loves the story (and the boobs, blood, and general debauchery).

SHAME SHAME SHAME

You're perfect, yes it's true, but without me you're only you, your menstruating heart ain't bleedin' enough for two.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not
be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2016, 07:17 AM

The sex gets less as it goes on.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Sep 24, 2016, 07:42 AM

The pointless sex and nudity is essentially gone now (and I agree that it was too much with the sexposition in the first season). There is nudity still, but it has a story reason now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2016, 10:36 AM

I'm still not understanding the "too much" part.
You're perfect, yes it's true, but without me you're only you, your menstruating heart ain't bleedin' enough for two.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not
be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2016, 02:13 PM

The show can be summed up by a quote from "Heavy Metal":

"He dies, she dies, everybody dies".

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
Hey everybody,

I thought about starting to watch Game of Thrones. I bought the first season on DVD... I watched five episodes and I'm clueless. Who is who? What do I have to know? Which war has there been? Which conflict is now important? I thought there was some constant power play going on and you should know, right. Then there are interactions between the characters, but which? Which are important?

Should I do nothing, just keep watching? Should I read up about it on the web? I looked everything up in Wikipedia and the entry on the first season, in German, is actually a bit small, nothing fancy. No help.

Any ideas?
Greetings,
PeterParker
You can either keep watching and figure it out as you go along. Or you can use this as an overview to provide more context to your viewing.

Key Characters

Key Houses of Westeros

Key House Locations in Westeros

And if you are really a glutton for punishment ...

Key Character Relationships

OAW
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: stuff you don't find out til season 5/6 yo)

P
Oct 8, 2016, 05:53 AM

Ok so I don't mod the Lounge, but... Image size. Please link them instead of inlining, they are very big images.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2016, 03:18 PM

I'm not sure how its a problem. If he doesn't like it, you should divorce him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules