Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cash's neon dream

Cash's neon dream
Banned
Oct 25, 2000, 09:17 PM

I made this in photoshop. Does anyone else think it looks REALLY kickass? The spoiler is a one off thing I'm getting from another neon owner. it took 50 hours to make, and there is only one in the world. I threw a wings west bodykit on it, and MAS MGR 17" rims. das it. Now, I dont want to start any arguements about how fast it would be or whatever, but do you like how it looks? Also, notice the 'Vtec sucks' sticker. Woo woo!

Ca$h

PS: If I do get this stuff, I'll have NOS and some other goodies, so it wont be complete rice.

Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2000, 10:19 PM

Well if you block out everything above where the tires stop, it looks ok. The hood is too short, the roof is too bulbous, and the tail is too stubby (esp. with that spoiler). But it's a Neon, so you can't expect too much.

IMO you should save your money for a better car.

Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2000, 10:30 PM

I like the fact that it's short and stubby - makes it look very agressive to me.

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2000, 10:44 PM

You spent 50 hours in photoshop screwing with that photo. WOW! You got some spare time on you hands.

rhino_g3

Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2000, 11:46 PM

It's funny how the hood has jaggies and the tail doesn't.

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2000, 01:59 AM

x

[This message has been edited by CaseCom (edited 10-27-2000).]

Banned
Oct 26, 2000, 01:53 PM

No no no. Man, you guys need some riddlin or something. You read one sentance, then just sorta jumble whatever else I say into one big pile and take it the wrong way.

THAT SPOILER (which is based on, not off from, but the idea was from an MR2), took 50 hours to make......

The photoshop job took like 9 minutes. Thats why its not very good (aka jaggies and stuff)

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2000, 03:47 PM

That's the way I took it. Who would spend 50 hours in pshop making a pick of a car? That I can't see. But 50 hours to make the part I can.

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2000, 01:42 PM

And I took sh*t for owning a caddie? It's a neon for god's sake. You can't make that kind of car look cool.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2000, 01:47 PM

Ca$h is right. VTEC sucks. The VTEC alternative that the Neon has is much much bette....oh wait.

Guess that flames that theory.

Blizzard.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2000, 02:39 PM

The Neon doesn't have variable valve timing, hence there is no Neon VTEC alternative.

VTEC and VVti (Toyota's version of variable valve timing) are both actually very good technologies. They enable the vehicle to be fuel efficient for casual driving, but it will also deliver power when needed (passing, merging on the highway, etc.).

For street racing, VTEC isn't great because the power is delivered only at the higher RPMs. Additionally, there is a disproportionate amount of torque vs. hp, since the engines are generally small. Still, if tuned correctly, a VTEC engine can be mighty impressive... Honda's S-2000 is a pretty tight roadster, even if it only gets its power at 8,000+ RPM. It's still fast. Honda employs some of the finest automotive engineers in the industry.

Still, I'd never drive one since I drive agressively and wouldn't want to be redlining the car all the time, but for most people, a VTEC engine is a sensible and more fuel efficient alternative to straight 4 or 6.

Banned
Oct 28, 2000, 04:52 PM

Um. Sorry. Vtec Sucks. It truly does, and is similar to turbo lag, only more retarded. I'll explain, but first I'll tell you something:

My 'dumb' 5 spd neon can out run a VTEC equipped Civic Si EASILY, a vtec Integra GSR, and tons of garden variety hondas. Why? TORQUE.

VTEC is a STUPID techonology; toyotas implementation is MUCh better. Why? VVTI (the toyota one) is VARIABLE, which means it isnt On and off. Vtec engines are COMPLETE slugs up until it kicks in; it basically has two cams. One high performance one, and one WEAKER THAN A NON VTEC engine cam, they do this for emmissions requirements.

So, if you race a VTEC integra and a non vtec integra, and you dont hit the RPM that vtec kicks in, the non VTEC one will win.

Now, the point at which VTEC kicks in. 5500 rpms. DO YOU REALIZE HOW HIGH THAT IS?!?!?! So, this explains why I'm able to embarass the cars I mentioned previously. While they are acclerating with their incredibly weak cam, waiting for VTEC to kick in, I'm passing them, and putting distance between us.

Its pretty fun to tick off the import owners who consider VTEC as the holy grail of performance, when in fact it only has ONE use. Sustained high speed racing. Like touring car racing, stuff like that. EVEN THEN, it usually doesnt win; the integras are frontwheel drive, so they get injured pretty easily. Most of the time the BMWs clean house.

Anyway. VTEC is hype. Dont believe it, dont fall prey to honda marketing. If you want websites that have dyno sheets of honda engines, and say how lame they are, I can point you to them. The simple fact is that VTEC makes SQUAT for torque or horsepower until VTEC kicks in and considering how long it takes to get to that point, and how often you actually get there, VTEC has no place on the street, no place on the dragstrip, no place in autocrossing.

Ca$h

PS: What car won the showroom stock compact class? Hrm? Was it a Civic Si? Oh it wasnt? Oh it was a neon, thats right. What? neons took a 1-5 finish? The nearest civic SI was 7th? Oh yeah, thats right.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2000, 10:48 AM

I can't believe you are talking about racing a neon. What is the point. If you want to race get a real car with a real engine like a 3.8 super charged V6 or a car running a V8.

How old are you cash? 16?

The only thing a neon is good for is fuel economy NOT racing. My wife's 76 year old grandmother just got her a neon.

rhino_g3

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2000, 10:57 AM

Hey Ca$h, when you show me a Neon that can go over 250k miles on it's original transmission and engine, I'll buy another one. Until then, I'll stick with Japanese cars, thank you. I enjoy not having to worry about out-of-warranty repairs (or even in-warranty repairs, for which Daimler-Chrysler helpfully does not provide a rental car for).

I'll agree that racing VTECs is stupid, but so is racing Neons. They're pieces of crap. I've owned one, and dumped it after six months when I had to go through two complete transmission rebuilds, several recalls, and dozens of other assorted technical issues. My ex-girlfriend's 95 Sport almost killed her when the steering failed on the Bay Bridge. I could go on, but ever Neon I've ever known of personally has been trouble.

I'm in the market for a second car right now, about Civic- or Sentra- sized, and you can bet that I'm going right on by that Dodge dealership.

See your Neon at the scrap heap,

/e

'95 Nissan Altima

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2000, 10:58 AM

I see you didn't even read my post entirely, Cash. I said that for racing VTEC was not a good technology... echoing what I've said before (and what rhino just said), I think racing any compact econobox is stupid, anyway.

Banned
Oct 30, 2000, 12:53 AM

Hrm. Where to begin.

1. I like ponies.

So. Yeah.

Ca$h

[This message has been edited by Misha (edited 10-30-2000).]

Banned
Oct 31, 2000, 01:42 PM

Fine. Keep deleting my posts, but I want Rhino to know that I tore him apart. Really bad. Because of him claiming a 3.8 liter was a racing engine.

(didnt say any bad words, I'll let ignorant people remain that way, apparently)
(one dig.... Nissan altimas are for 37 year old 'dadies' who drive their snivveling little brats to school.)

Ca$h

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2000, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Mushroomstamper:
Fine. Keep deleting my posts, but I want Rhino to know that I tore him apart. Really bad. Because of him claiming a 3.8 liter was a racing engine.

(didnt say any bad words, I'll let ignorant people remain that way, apparently)
(one dig.... Nissan altimas are for 37 year old 'dadies' who drive their snivveling little brats to school.)

Ca$h
At least I'm capable of reproducing. And learn how to spell, for pete's sake.

Then again, the thought of your offspring roaming the planet frightens me greatly.

/e

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2000, 07:05 PM

No no no. Man, you guys need some riddlin or something. You read one sentance, then just sorta jumble whatever else I say into one big pile and take it the wrong way.
My point is cash. Why would anyone waste there time thinking about racing a neon with a tiny four cylinder? Use something with some speed such as a 3.8 super charged V6 or a V8. I never once said a 3.8 V6 was a racing engine.

If anyone needs riddlin in this forum it is you for getting all excited about a topic on a crappy neon. Move on with life.

rhino_g3

[This message has been edited by rhino_g3 (edited 10-31-2000).]

Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2000, 07:23 PM

I would suggest taking Ritalin - it's much more effective....

Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2000, 09:40 PM

Quick question Cash --

Why is it they don't have real cars where you live?
Hot rodding Neons? I bet you're heck on a Razor scooter.

Buy yourself a pony car with a V-8 and a 5 gear and it'll change the way you look at this slot car fantasy.
Mainly, you'll see it way back in the rearview mirror.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Forum Links
Forum Rules