Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Device Manager in OS X?

Device Manager in OS X?
Dec 3, 2002, 04:45 PM

I purchased my first Macintosh a few months ago, and have enjoyed almost every aspect of it (OS X native Exchange client would be nice). One thing I can't seem to do is pull a list of hardware on my machine. Under Windows, I would use device manager to see hardware devices, IRQs, memory addresses, and drivers. Is there something similar on OS X 10.2.1?

Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 04:51 PM

Apple System Profiler in /Applications/Utilities/ should do the trick.
Vandelay Industries

Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by LlamaBoy:
I purchased my first Macintosh a few months ago, and have enjoyed almost every aspect of it (OS X native Exchange client would be nice). One thing I can't seem to do is pull a list of hardware on my machine. Under Windows, I would use device manager to see hardware devices, IRQs, memory addresses, and drivers. Is there something similar on OS X 10.2.1?
Apple System Profiler (in your Utilities folder) can show you a lot about your system... but I duuno about things like IRQ's and such. Not sure what they are, but they aren't used (I don't think) in Macs.

Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 04:54 PM

look in the utilities folder inside your applications folder. there's application called Apple System Profiler.

that should do what you're looking for.

Originally posted by LlamaBoy:

Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 04:59 PM

There's also a handy shortcut to get to Apple System Profile under 10.2, you can just select "About This Mac" from the Apple menu and then click the "More Info..." button and it will launch ASP for you.

Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
Apple System Profiler (in your Utilities folder) can show you a lot about your system... but I duuno about things like IRQ's and such. Not sure what they are, but they aren't used (I don't think) in Macs.
The IRQ system is used in Macs, actually. However, Apple, realizing that IRQ can and therefore should be handled completely automatically, does so. There is no need to see or modify IRQ's in OSX, because they are handles in such a way that there can never be any conflicts.

It's one of the things many PC magazines praised Macs for, back when the first PCI Macs were introduced. Many even said that the Wintel architecture should work that same way.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

The IRQ system is used in Macs, actually. However, Apple, realizing that IRQ can and therefore should be handled completely automatically, does so. There is no need to see or modify IRQ's in OSX, because they are handles in such a way that there can never be any conflicts.

It's one of the things many PC magazines praised Macs for, back when the first PCI Macs were introduced. Many even said that the Wintel architecture should work that same way.
I remember back in the System 8 days we had a Agfa RIP card in a beige machine that was conflicting with it's SCSI card and the Agfa tech was putting down Macs because we couldn't change the card's IRQ to resolve the conflict. It was a G3 and we solved the problem by going with it's ATI bus instead a higher performance SCSI drive. In fact it's still set up that way, but now running 9.

Are these kinds of problems solved in Mac 10? Is there a way to set the ICQ manually if the need comes up?

Dec 4, 2002, 09:40 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I did check out the Apple System Profiler, but the information it contained was somewhat cryptic. I am trying to determine what driver I have for a video card. I have a PowerBook G4 667 DVI, which means I should have the ATI Radeon Mobility 7000 with 32megs. Here is what System Profiler tells me:

ATI(AGP)
Card Type ATY,DDParent
Card Name ATY,CrownParent
Card Model ATY,RageM7
Vendor ID 1002
Device ID 4c57
ROM# 113-XXXXX-119
Revision 0
Card(Video) Memory 32 MB

From this, how can I determine the driver? And if I didn't already know what my video card was, this information would be cryptic at best. Would the average user determine an ATI Radeon Mobility 7000 from "Card Model: ATY,RageM7?" It doesn't even mention ATI.

I'm just used to more useful information about devices. I understand that Apple doesn't want users messing with such things, but more info would be good...

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2002, 10:12 AM

You're looking in the wrong place.

Look under the section of ASP that lists the extensions. There you'll find the ATI driver and also the OpenGL drivers.

Wade

Dec 4, 2002, 11:36 AM

Who cares about drivers ? It's A Mac !

Forum Links
Forum Rules