Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > HELP! Invalid node structure. Repair fails!!

HELP! Invalid node structure. Repair fails!!
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 04:56 PM

My Users partition is broken... please help...

In Disk Utility, I go to FirstAid and click Repair...

It tells me that it has "Invalid node structure" in red,
and then that it is "Rebuilding Catalog B-tree."
and then that "Repair Completed."

However, hitting "Verify" immediately after that shows the problem was NOT repaired. Recently it has gotten worse as the OS complains that the disk partition is not recognizable so it does not mount it!! HELP!

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated... below is more detailed history...

====

I first had this problem last weekend. I was running 10.1.4. Hoping the disk repair capability in OS9 would be better, I booted into 9.2.2. OS9 did mount the partition. Disk repair did the same thing though. However, when I went back to OSX, it was able to mount it again. I promptly did a full back up of users.

The next day, one of my users complained that a folder's contents were missing. Worse, any attempt to click on that folder caused a major hang... for quite a long time... as if it was chasing around circles in the node structure. Fortunately, the contents of that folder were captured (via hfspax) on my backup. So, I went to delete the bad folder... couldn't delete it. In terminal, doing 'rmdir' or 'rm -r' both said that the directory was not empty.

The offending folder was inside his Public folder... two other of the subfolders of Public were similarly broken. I renamed Public to Public-Corrupt and restored Public from backup. All seemed to be working.

Today, I upgraded to OS X 10.2.4. I was hoping the new version of Disk Utility would be able to fix the bad node structure of the Users disk. No such luck. It exhibited the same behavior. Further, it started giving error dialogs saying it was going to unmount Users, though it didn't. Then later it did unmount it. So, I decided to see if going into OS 9 would again fix it. On my way into OS 9 however, it hung... so badly that the mouse went dead (optical LED turned off). I reset... going into OS 9 brought up the dialog complaining that I didn't shut down properly and that it was going to verify the startup disk... then it hung as before (mouse dead).

So, I went back into OS X, where I am now, Users won't mount, but the mouse at least works. I can get online and type this... but I can't even get my superdrive to open any more. HELP!

Senior User
Mar 9, 2003, 06:23 PM

Solution: purchase Alsoft's DiskWarrior (accept no substitutes). Run at least once a month.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 07:05 PM

Hi. Did you try booting into single-user mode? Hold down the Apple (command) key and the "S" key on startup. You should see a black screen with text scrolling across it. When it's finished, type:

/sbin/fsck -y

I have found this method to fix things Disk Utility doesn't. Do this until it tells you your disk is OK. Then type:

reboot

The suggestion to get DiskWarrior is a good one. The OSX version (DW3) should be out soon.

Hope this helps.

Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2003, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by macmike42:
Solution: purchase Alsoft's DiskWarrior (accept no substitutes). Run at least once a month.
Agreed.

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 08:53 AM

Unfortunately, DiskWarrior still just runs in OS9, right?
And OS9 hangs during the boot process when trying to mount the faulty disk. So, DiskWarrior won't do me much good.

Plus, based on a couple other threads in this forum, it sounds like DiskWarrior doesn't really handle this problem very well (invalid node structure). Has anybody had DiskWarrior solve that?

Thanks.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by kennedy:
Unfortunately, DiskWarrior still just runs in OS9, right?
And OS9 hangs during the boot process when trying to mount the faulty disk. So, DiskWarrior won't do me much good.

Plus, based on a couple other threads in this forum, it sounds like DiskWarrior doesn't really handle this problem very well (invalid node structure). Has anybody had DiskWarrior solve that?

Thanks.
DiskWarrior will fix your invalid node structure. It has done so for me in the past. The DiskWarrior CD comes with OS 9 on the CD, so you can boot from the CD by holding down the "c" key on startup.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 10:58 AM

Boot from the DiskWarrior CD. If the partition does not mount and give you an error message, ignore it. Run DiskWarrior and it will see it.

Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
The DiskWarrior CD comes with OS 9 on the CD, so you can boot from the CD by holding down the "c" key on startup.

CV
Only if your system can boot into OS 9 (as in you added the OS 9 drivers to the disk when installing OS X or have a valid Classic system installed) can you boot from the DW CD into OS 9....

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Only if your system can boot into OS 9 (as in you added the OS 9 drivers to the disk when installing OS X or have a valid Classic system installed) can you boot from the DW CD into OS 9....
He clearly stated in his first message that he booted into 9.2.2 to try and correct the problem with OS 9's disk utility, so I was under the assumption that his computer is not one of the FW 800 models that won't boot 9, and my answer was specific to his problem. Those of you who bought Macs without the ability to run DiskWarrior have assumed a level of risk when it comes to directory problems--a risk I'm not willing to take, as I've stated here before.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
Boot from the DiskWarrior CD. If the partition does not mount and give you an error message, ignore it. Run DiskWarrior and it will see it.
I do have an OS9 bootable system... but the disk problem was causing OS9 to hang during boot. However, not seeing any other good options, I decided to try booting into 9 (on the DiskWarrior CD) over and over...

This last time, I kept the mouse moving the whole time... doubt that helped, but it did manage to boot up this time...

As with the prior time that booting up with 9 fixed things, once again my Users disk was seen and mounted by OS9. OS9 itself seems to be the best tool of the bunch... when it finally works. Tempted to leave well enough alone, but, given all the positive words on DiskWarrior, I decide to go ahead and run it and see if it can clean up the problems...

How long will DiskWarrior take on a 80GB disk that is about half full? I'm a bit worried as the barber pole only moves once every couple minutes and the clock in the menubar stopped cold.

Anyway, a time estimate would be very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions... hopefully this works.

Brian

P.S. Sorry, if you've followed both my threads on this... they ended up converging... but for future people who might have similar problems, I wanted the result to appear in each thread.

Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by kennedy:

How long will DiskWarrior take on a 80GB disk that is about half full? I'm a bit worried as the barber pole only moves once every couple minutes and the clock in the menubar stopped cold.
I've had it take 3 or 4 hours on some drives. It just sits there looking like it is not doing anything. Only once have I had it not do anything at all and it turned out that the drive had a mechanical problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules