Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Looking for a "GPU" meter...

Looking for a "GPU" meter...
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 01:15 PM

I'm looking for a program that will display a graph of the memory/gpu usage on my video that will display realtime output like the OS X cpu meter... anybody know where to find such a product? thx

Nov 4, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
I'm looking for a program that will display a graph of the memory/gpu usage on my video that will display realtime output like the OS X cpu meter... anybody know where to find such a product? thx
Take a look at the Quartz profiler that comes with Developer Tools. It shows you a lot of things, and even has a "speedometer" for frame rates, etc.

-A

Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by iohead:
Take a look at the Quartz profiler that comes with Developer Tools. It shows you a lot of things, and even has a "speedometer" for frame rates, etc.

-A
Thanks... is that what it's called (exactly?) thx!

Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 05:50 PM

What Quartz Profiler app? My developer tools doesn't have one like you describe. I have Panther, btw.

Nov 4, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
Thanks... is that what it's called (exactly?) thx!
XCode Developer Tools include a few applications/utilities for debugging/profiling graphics:

* OpenGL Info - shows information about your OpenGL environment
* OpenGL Profiler
* Pixie - software magnifying glass, also allows you to take magnified screen shots
* Quartz Debug - This is the one I mentioned in my earlier post

I don't have a Mac right now, but I do recall that these are installed under /Developer/Applications (and some might be in /Developer/Tools).

-A

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2003, 07:58 PM

That information is slightly out of date.

In Panther, OpenGL Info is now part of OpenGL Driver Monitor (which was itself previously part of OpenGL Profiler.)

Quartz Debug shows you a general "speedometer" view of the number of Quartz Compositor operations per second, and window manager CPU usage.

OpenGL Driver Monitor will show you the overall state of many many aspects of the GPU, but the results are difficult to interpret if you are not a software developer.

OpenGL Profiler is even more low level, it is really intended for software developers profiling their applications, not as an overall view of the system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules