Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > How to lock a folder?

How to lock a folder?
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 11:50 AM

I'm curious if there a way that I could lock a folder that people can't double click on it to open.

When I double click a folder that is locked by me and the system ask me to type in my user password in order to open a folder...

Is there a way?? or ??

Thanks!!!!

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2003, 12:17 PM

Why would you want to lock a folder so you can't open it?

Chris

Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 12:23 PM

Whenever I've wanted to create something like a locked folder, I've used a password protected disk image.....
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Why would you want to lock a folder so you can't open it?

Chris
No, I mean, I have another user using my computer and I would like to lock a folder for my privacy. I am talking about to open a folder and the system ask me to type in my user password to open the folder, get me?

Is there a way that I could do it by "GET INFO" ?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by tomdavidson69:
Whenever I've wanted to create something like a locked folder, I've used a password protected disk image.....
Tomdavidson, wouldn't you mind giving me the details how to do it ? thanks

Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Matt OS X:
Tomdavidson, wouldn't you mind giving me the details how to do it ? thanks
Righteo, had a quick rummage in Panther as I last did it in Jaguar (or Jag-wire or whatever!)..

Open up Disk Utility and select 'New' from the toolbar, you then get a few options size, encryption & format.

Obviously choose the size you want and make sure you set the encryption to AES-128..s As for the format, well Read-Write worked fine for me! (Somebody who knows more than me could explain a sparse image!)

Then it will ask you for a password, and if you want to store it in your Keychain. Unless I'm mistaken, don't put the password in your keychain as then it will automatcially open without you having to put a pw in (kinda defeats the point!!)... Then choose where you want the file and hit save.

You can then read/write to the image (once it's mounted of course) and it'll prompt for a password whenever you mount it (so don't leave it mounted!)...

If you don't have Panther, I haven't got a machine running Jaguar but I think it's roughly the same thing but using 'Disk Copy' instead of 'Disk Utility'..

Hope that helps! I'm not any sort of mac guru so I hope it's not total Bulls**t! If anyone sees a glaring mistake please correct me!!!!

Tom

OOPS! Edit: It will ask you for a password after you hit save, not before.....
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 12:49 PM

If you remove the execute permissions for others & group for the folder, they won't be able to see its contents. Remove the read & write permissions too for good measure.

Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 12:52 PM

Hey, Thanks for the help but it isn't what I'm looking for.. The Folder came out in .dmg from disk utlity.

I wanted to storage my stuffs in my folder like this:

and when I wanted to open it.. the system will ask me to open it with my user password.

Get me?

Thanks..

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2003, 01:42 PM

Matt,

Tom is right. Follow his instructions and you will get a .dmg. Then double-click on that just like a folder. It will make you enter a password before you can get to the files inside.

Chris

Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 11:35 AM

I use LameSecure (I would give you the link but versiontracker is having some problems right now). While not as secure as an encrypted disk image, it is much faster and makes opening folders difficult for the casual user.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 09:32 AM

No, I mean, I have another user using my computer and I would like to lock a folder for my privacy. I am talking about to open a folder and the system ask me to type in my user password to open the folder, get me?
Why not just create a seperate user? That way ALL your stuff will be private.

Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 08:49 PM

Toyin,

wow.. the LameSecure worked awesome.. I loved it. Thanks !!

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
I use LameSecure (I would give you the link but versiontracker is having some problems right now). While not as secure as an encrypted disk image, it is much faster and makes opening folders difficult for the casual user.
Thanks from me, as well! I've been looking for an easy way to lock folders; works great!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Thor:
Why not just create a seperate user? That way ALL your stuff will be private.
Indeed... that's sorta the point of OS X being multi-user and all...

Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2003, 06:52 AM

I have a "Guest" user on my PB so that when someone wants to borrow it to type on Word or make a Keynote I just log them into Guest and it's all good.

Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 11:03 PM

thanks! that lamesecure thing does exactly what it is built to do very well.

Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Matt OS X:
I'm curious if there a way that I could lock a folder that people can't double click on it to open.

When I double click a folder that is locked by me and the system ask me to type in my user password in order to open a folder...

Is there a way?? or ??

Thanks!!!!
From the terminal, just do "chmod -x <foldername>" on the folder.

Done.

To restore it, do "chmod +x <foldername>"

This will work for all users (even yourself). If you want to make it so only you can read it, but others cannot, just do a "chmod 700 <foldername>" and you will have full access to the folder, and others will have NONE.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2012, 05:45 PM

How to Password Protect a Folder on the Mac:

> Open up the “Disk Utility” application
> File -> New -> Disk Image from Folder…
> choose a folder to protect
> choose “AES-128″ encryption and press Save
> Enter your desired new password twice (Do not forget it.)

Senior User
Dec 23, 2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by tomdavidson69 View Post

Righteo, had a quick rummage in Panther as I last did it in Jaguar (or Jag-wire or whatever!)..

Open up Disk Utility and select 'New' from the toolbar, you then get a few options size, encryption &amp; format.

Obviously choose the size you want and make sure you set the encryption to AES-128..s As for the format, well Read-Write worked fine for me! (Somebody who knows more than me could explain a sparse image!)

Then it will ask you for a password, and if you want to store it in your Keychain. Unless I'm mistaken, don't put the password in your keychain as then it will automatcially open without you having to put a pw in (kinda defeats the point!!)... Then choose where you want the file and hit save.

You can then read/write to the image (once it's mounted of course) and it'll prompt for a password whenever you mount it (so don't leave it mounted!)...

If you don't have Panther, I haven't got a machine running Jaguar but I think it's roughly the same thing but using 'Disk Copy' instead of 'Disk Utility'..

Hope that helps! I'm not any sort of mac guru so I hope it's not total Bulls**t! If anyone sees a glaring mistake please correct me!!!!

Tom

OOPS! Edit: It will ask you for a password after you hit save, not before.....
Good stuff.

and more good stuff

>>
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post

From the terminal, just do "chmod -x <foldername>" on the folder.

Done.

To restore it, do "chmod +x <foldername>"

This will work for all users (even yourself). If you want to make it so only you can read it, but others cannot, just do a "chmod 700 <foldername>" and you will have full access to the folder, and others will have NONE.

Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2012, 12:45 PM

I hope the user from 2003 appreciates this info!

Forum Links
Forum Rules