Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > How to enter ASCII code?

How to enter ASCII code?
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 02:38 AM

On my Windows machine, I could enter ASCII characters by holding Alt then pressing the numbers on the numpad. Does anyone know how I can do this on my powerbook?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2004, 02:53 AM

ASCII I dunno, but Unicode hex input you can enable with System Preferences->International->Input Menu->Unicode Hex Input. You can then switch to it and enter Unicode characters by typing their hex code while holding down the option key
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Senior User
Jan 3, 2004, 03:27 AM

Hmm... if I'm not mistaken, you don't really want to go typing in raw ASCII codes. What you want to do is type high-ASCII characters, a process that is much, much easier and more logical on a Macintosh.

For example. To get accented characters, hold down option and then type a particular character, which is usually the letter the accent is most commonly placed upon. Then, type the letter you want the accent to appear over. For example:

: option-e, then e.
: option-` (backtick, same key as tilde), then e.
: option-u, then e.
: option-i, then e.
: option-e, then a.
: option-i, then o.

etc.

Various other high-ASCII characters are at logical places on the keyboard, with the option key depressed. For example:

An en-dash (): option-dash
An em-dash (): option-shift-dash
A "cents" sign (): option-4 (same key as $)
A "pounds (sterling)" sign (): option-3 (same key as the "pound key", #)

For a complete listing of characters available in a certain font, bring up the Character Palette by enabling it in the International preference pane. To see where the characters fall on the keyboard, enable the Keyboard Viewer in International preferences (in Panther), or open the Key Caps application (in any Mac OS version previous to Panther). Then just hold down option or option-shift and watch the on-screen keyboard change dynamically. You can also just mash option and type a bunch of characters and see what comes out. In any event, though, you don't have to memorize hex codes anymore.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
Hmm... if I'm not mistaken, you don't really want to go typing in raw ASCII codes. What you want to do is type high-ASCII characters, a process that is much, much easier and more logical on a Macintosh.

For example. To get accented characters, hold down option and then type a particular character, which is usually the letter the accent is most commonly placed upon. Then, type the letter you want the accent to appear over. For example:

: option-e, then e.
: option-` (backtick, same key as tilde), then e.
: option-u, then e.
: option-i, then e.
: option-e, then a.
: option-i, then o.

etc.

Various other high-ASCII characters are at logical places on the keyboard, with the option key depressed. For example:

An en-dash (): option-dash
An em-dash (): option-shift-dash
A "cents" sign (): option-4 (same key as $)
A "pounds (sterling)" sign (): option-3 (same key as the "pound key", #)

For a complete listing of characters available in a certain font, bring up the Character Palette by enabling it in the International preference pane. To see where the characters fall on the keyboard, enable the Keyboard Viewer in International preferences (in Panther), or open the Key Caps application (in any Mac OS version previous to Panther). Then just hold down option or option-shift and watch the on-screen keyboard change dynamically. You can also just mash option and type a bunch of characters and see what comes out. In any event, though, you don't have to memorize hex codes anymore.
Thank you, that is exactly what I am looking for, and is actually much nicer than the Windows counterpart. Chalk another one up for OS X.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 04:21 AM

I used to do a lot of typing in both DOS and Windows and one of the biggest pains was using accented characters with a US keymap. When I started working on Macs more it was a complete one eighty. Simply being able to type in other languages without memorizing hex code or changing my keymap is one of the best features of MacOS. Here's a good chart of all the special characters you can type with hte Option and Shift keys.

Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
Thank you, that is exactly what I am looking for, and is actually much nicer than the Windows counterpart. Chalk another one up for OS X.
The Keyboard Viewer in 10.3 (formerly Key Caps) and Character Palette will also help you to locate special characters on your keyboard and input them: Enable the Input Menu in the System Preferences - International - Input Menu. The Input Menu then appears as flag in your menubar, from there you can select the Keyboard Viewer and the Character Palette.

-

Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
Actually these have been around since at least System 6 (the earliest version I ever used extensively) and probably since the beginning.

tooki

Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 07:27 AM

I can't find the Keyboard Viewer in the Inter. menu - am I missing something?

Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 07:52 AM

You need to enable it in the International Menu settings like this:

Which does this:

Forum Links
Forum Rules