Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Network Preferences Won't Open

Network Preferences Won't Open
Jan 14, 2004, 12:47 PM

Help! I've lost all internet access from my Mac at home (resorting to my PC at work for this post!). I've got a cable modem with OS 10.2.8. When opening the Network preference pane, it displays the "Loading" icon, but then stops. If I select a another system preference pane, and the return to Network, it sort of loads. The tabs (Modem, TCP/IP, PPP, etc) are there, but it's COMPLETELY blank below them. The Locations drop-down only contains "New Location" and "Edit Location", neither of which do anything. The ports listed are "Built-in Ethernet" (use with the cable modem) and something like "PCI Ethernet Slot A1, Port 2" (which never appeared before as I have no PCI ethernet card!). The modem option is missing. When I try to quit System Preferences it crashes.

Everthing was working fine yesterday morning, but when I booted last night everything was messed up. My first thought was a corrupted preference file for the network settings, but I don't know which file that is. Does anyone know which file that is, or have any other ideas for things to try?

Thanks! I need my Mac back on-line before my boss catches me using my work computer for personal business!!!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by ender:
Help! I've lost all internet access from my Mac at home (resorting to my PC at work for this post!). I've got a cable modem with OS 10.2.8. When opening the Network preference pane, it displays the "Loading" icon, but then stops. If I select a another system preference pane, and the return to Network, it sort of loads. The tabs (Modem, TCP/IP, PPP, etc) are there, but it's COMPLETELY blank below them. The Locations drop-down only contains "New Location" and "Edit Location", neither of which do anything. The ports listed are "Built-in Ethernet" (use with the cable modem) and something like "PCI Ethernet Slot A1, Port 2" (which never appeared before as I have no PCI ethernet card!). The modem option is missing. When I try to quit System Preferences it crashes.
sorry this is not an answer to your problem but more of a "me too" and a bump-up.

This happened to me EXACTLY as you describe. Just today in fact. This was in Jaguar 10.2.8 on a PB Ti and I was creating a new network loction then POW!!... System prefs unexpectedly quit. and the Network panel will not open properly. I can get the exact same thing as you describe ie a long list of tabs but no fields to fill in and 'PCI Ethernet Slot A1, Port 2" which I have never seen before. The Location submenu in Apple menu lists my previous locations OK and I can tick any one of them I want but they do nothing. Now I have no network traffic (IP stuck to 0.0.0.0) All usernames even new ones are the same.

I have looked for any prefs file but there does not seem to be one. I am considering taking a day or two out backing up what I can of my own personal stuff to DVD and installing that copy of Panther that is sat on my desk and upgrading stuff that breaks. There are a number of issues holding me back on Panther But I guess I better do a completely clean install as I dont want this mucked up network to follow me.

Help does anyone know how to fix this in 10.2.8?
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 06:18 PM

Try to reset the PRAM (hold command-option-P-R during boot).

If it's not enough I would try this :

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
sudo mv NetworkInterfaces.plist NetworkInterfaces.plist.old

and then try to reboot...

you can revert this back with :
sudo mv NetworkInterfaces.plist.old NetworkInterfaces.plist
( Last edited by pat++; Jan 17, 2004 at 06:24 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by pat++:
Try to reset the PRAM (hold command-option-P-R during boot).

If it's not enough I would try this :

sudo mv NetworkInterfaces.plist NetworkInterfaces.plist.old

and then try to reboot...

you can revert this back with :
sudo mv NetworkInterfaces.plist.old NetworkInterfaces.plist
Thanks.

I will try the PRAM trick soon but a quick look shows there is no NetworkInterfaces.plist in that directory

Edit: In fact there is no such directory on either machine

[iMac:/Library/Preferences] admin% ls
DirectoryService com.apple.HIToolbox.plist com.apple.loginwindow.plist
EFI com.apple.MCX.plist com.apple.sharing.firewall.plist
SD Settings com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist com.apple.soundpref.plist
com.apple.BezelServices.plist com.apple.dockfixup.plist com.apple.windowserver.plist
com.apple.ColorSyncDeviceList.plist com.apple.java.util.prefs.plist loginwindow.plist

and I have looked on an iMac using the same OS version (10.2.8) and there is no such file there either (see above). Did a global find on just 'Network' and it did not find anything like this. Are you sure that is for 10.2.8?
( Last edited by glowingcactus; Jan 18, 2004 at 06:41 AM. )
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by glowingcactus:
Are you sure that is for 10.2.8?
I thought it was the same under 10.2 It's definitely here under 10.3... anyway the PRAM reset should be enough (hopefully).

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 05:46 AM

Thanks pat++

The reboot and zap the PRAM trick (alt apple-P-R) cured this network glitch totally. I was all set for a Panther install this morning but now I have an excuse to put it off a little longer.

Does anyone know why this works? What is getting changed/trashed here?
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

Forum Links
Forum Rules