Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > 10.3.3 is out

10.3.3 is out (Page 5)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 12:39 PM

Dumb question before updating. I want to make sure everything's a-ok, so will do a disk utility session. However, I also have Disk Warrior, though haven't used it for awhile (haven't needed it, knock on wood). In fact, I was running Jaguar the last time. Do you need any updates to make DW work in Panther, or was all that stuff just in terms of the bootable CD for Panther? I was unclear at the time and still am.

Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
Dumb question before updating. I want to make sure everything's a-ok, so will do a disk utility session. However, I also have Disk Warrior, though haven't used it for awhile (haven't needed it, knock on wood). In fact, I was running Jaguar the last time. Do you need any updates to make DW work in Panther, or was all that stuff just in terms of the bootable CD for Panther? I was unclear at the time and still am.
You must use DiskWarrior 3.0.1 or later with Panther.

Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 04:53 PM

Strange problem. I zapped the PRAM after the update and lost all my login-autolaunch items.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 05:15 PM

Anyone install 10.3.3 update on a FileVault enabled system?
MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by WOPR:
If anyone's running a 867mhz 12" PB can they let me know if it cures the 10.3.2 fan issues? I'm still on 10.3.1 because of that.
The wife has the 867 Powerbook 12 inch. No problems at all with 10.3.3. Though she didn't have any problems with the fan with .2 or .1 either.

PeteWK

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by hadocon:
Anyone install 10.3.3 update on a FileVault enabled system?
Installed 10.3.3 with one user (not administrator) having FileVault enabled. Everything worked fine, except for one problem: installation deleted some (maybe 20 out of 600) records from Address Book (not from the FileVault user though). Very strange. Think the records were the most recent ones edited. Probably not FileVault-related.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2004, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by PeteWK:
The wife has the 867 Powerbook 12 inch. No problems at all with 10.3.3. Though she didn't have any problems with the fan with .2 or .1 either.

PeteWK
I've gone to 10.3.3 now from 10.3.1 and while I'm not happy about the noise from the fan coming on much earlier, if it stops a long-term problem due to heat then I guess it's worth it.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2004, 06:22 AM

Great, my burner is no longer seen by the system.
Even better, i erased the install an cloned my backup to my main disk consisting of the 10.3.1 system. Now this does see my burner either.

nice 1 :-(

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Targon:
Great, my burner is no longer seen by the system.
Were you using a "hacked" driver for a normally unsupported drive?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
You must use DiskWarrior 3.0.1 or later with Panther.
So I can't boot from an old DW CD (my G4 AGP boots into Classic) and fix a partition with Panther on it? Please clarify.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 09:54 AM

i erased the install an cloned my backup to my main disk consisting of the 10.3.1 system. Now this does see my burner either.
This would be an indication that there is more here than a 10.3.3 problem. A post on MacFixit today indicates that resetting the Power Manager might fix your problem. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449.

Chris
( Last edited by chabig; Mar 19, 2004 at 10:04 AM. )

Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 12:54 PM

Are large network file transfers faster for everyone? My server running Mac OS X Server 10.3.3 and my other computers running Mac OS X 10.3.3 all transfers file back and forth much faster since the update...

anyone else? and I smoking too much?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Are large network file transfers faster for everyone? My server running Mac OS X Server 10.3.3 and my other computers running Mac OS X 10.3.3 all transfers file back and forth much faster since the update...

anyone else? and I smoking too much?
They seem to run a bit slower once in a while after the update...

Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 09:41 PM

Can those of you who installed the update try something? 1) Open a Finder window in column view, 2)preview a Quicktime movie, 2) try to select something on the desktop. Does selecting items work properly? Or does the Finder go bananas? Thanks!
Indeed, my Finder also goes bananas! This is a very strange bug.

(Updated to 10.3.3 on an iBook G4 12'' 800 Mhz.)

Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by lexhair:
So I can't boot from an old DW CD (my G4 AGP boots into Classic) and fix a partition with Panther on it? Please clarify.
Yes, you need the latest kernel and extensions to boot from new hardware. However it depends on the version of DW and your hardware, the basic system on a DW disk must support the hardware you are trying to boot from, so an outdated DW CD will fail booting when used with hardware more recent than the DW version.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Kate:
Yes, you need the latest kernel and extensions to boot from new hardware. However it depends on the version of DW and your hardware, the basic system on a DW disk must support the hardware you are trying to boot from, so an outdated DW CD will fail booting when used with hardware more recent than the DW version.
So, what you're saying is that if the system doesn't run the OS on the DW CD, don't bother trying it?

e.g. a 9500 using DiskWarrior with 10.3 on it

Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
So, what you're saying is that if the system doesn't run the OS on the DW CD, don't bother trying it?

e.g. a 9500 using DiskWarrior with 10.3 on it
The computer system must run the OS on that disk, yes. If it cannot, it will not boot from that CD, e.g. if the DW CD has a Mac OS X flavor on it and your Mac is not supported by that system booting from it will not work and subsequently you will be unable to run DW and check for filesystem errors.
However it is not important what type of Mac OS is installed on your HD. It is important that your Mac can start the OS on that CD, whatever it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules