Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Mac OS 10.5

Mac OS 10.5
Banned
Mar 15, 2004, 10:13 PM

The next version of Mac OS X is going to be by the title of: Mac OS X 10.5 The next large release is being aimed at a release date at the end of this year(Late December). The new version will include a vast assortment of new features. I will break it down into catagories.

INTERFACE 1
The current interface is being hauled over. Apple is going to be implimenting a more useful way of dealing with active and non active Windows. For example, holding the "command" key while dragging a window alongside an existing window will shrink both windows to size in order to fit into a desired locale on the desktop. They remain inactive until the user clicks on either one of them. This is similar to expose, as the Windows now shrink to size, but it allows for better customization. Apple is adding this new feature to Expose, and renaming it Expose 2. Other implimentations will include how active Windows work, for example, dragging a Window from one side of the screen to the other causes the sides to waver, as if there is actual force being excerted. Windows will no longer clumsely sit on top of one another. If a Window is tiled over top of another, the two Windows will allign with one another, and their names will be shown at the top. When the user waves his mouse over the top of the Windows, they will individually highlight. This is for convenient especially when there are multiple windows open at once.

INTERFACE 2
No longer will desktops be static. Desktops will have the option of being turned ACTIVE, or NON ACTIVE, meaning specially designed backgrounds now move. E.G: A forest scene with a looping waterfall, with the water flowing and leaves moving. Apple is hoping this will be a catch on for developers, as there will probably be a large new market for ACTIVE desktops when Mac OS 10.5 is released. This not only enhances the experience of the GUI, but creates a new foundation of integrating graphics and functionality.

SYSTEM
Apple is redesigning the Finder to be even more useful. There will now be an option to enable tabbed browsing for all Finder Windows, this ultimately enables users to instantly go to and from custom locations in a breeze. This also rids of the sidebar, and enables users more room for browsing files and folders. The Finder is also integrating the possibility to navigate a webpage and your hard drive at the same time. E.G One tabbed window has your local content, and another has a web page, Switching between the two simply adds buttons or functions from the menu and/or window itself. This will be a great function, especially for saving downloaded files.

CONCLUSION
So far, this is the only information currently floating the web. If anyone knows of anything else, please add it to the thread below.

Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 10:15 PM

2nd post and already talking about 10.5?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2004, 10:20 PM

I've heard that 10.6 is PHISAT!!

Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I've heard that 10.6 is PHISAT!!
I don't know if you know this, but 10.7 will kick 10.6s A$$...

And it doesn't have the nasty 10.6 debug code...

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2004, 10:40 PM

10.8 is bundled with duke nukem forever!
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 10:45 PM

I am running an early release of Mac OS XI and it's truly amazing. I especially like the flying monkeys and holographic avatars that bend reality to your every whim.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I am running an early release of Mac OS XI and it's truly amazing. I especially like the flying monkeys and holographic avatars that bend reality to your every whim.
Sweet, you finally got the Radeonactive 12600 Deluxe Limited Video Card?

Gibbert  (op)
Banned
Mar 15, 2004, 11:06 PM

I sence sarcasm...among you all. As if you are all plotting one large conspiracy against me....

Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Gibbert:
I sence sarcasm...among you all. As if you are all plotting one large conspiracy against me....
Of course you sense sarcasm. 10.3.3 was JUST released, there is already a 10.4 thread and here you come talking about 10.5. Trust me, NO ONE has any idea what Apple has in store for 10.4, let alone 10.5.
2.3GHz i7 15" Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013)

Gibbert  (op)
Banned
Mar 15, 2004, 11:12 PM

Well, perhaps this should be a...Wish list? I sure hope Apple does something cool like...what was mentioned above

Banned
Mar 15, 2004, 11:21 PM

Wow...so far 10.5 sounds like ****. And by **** I mean sh!t!

Gibbert  (op)
Banned
Mar 15, 2004, 11:23 PM

or...horsepoo...

Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2004, 11:37 PM

sniff, sniff... pfaugh, Are we in the privy pit?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Professional Poster
Location: Australia, the greatest country in the world, (Australians keep telling me).
Mar 15, 2004, 11:41 PM

I'm Different...
I can't argue with that.

Banned
Mar 16, 2004, 12:55 AM

Rubbish.

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 01:23 AM

INTERFACE 1
The current interface is being hauled over. Apple is going to be implimenting a more useful way of dealing with active and non active Windows. For example, holding the "command" key while dragging a window alongside an existing window will shrink both windows to size in order to fit into a desired locale on the desktop. They remain inactive until the user clicks on either one of them. This is similar to expose, as the Windows now shrink to size, but it allows for better customization. Apple is adding this new feature to Expose, and renaming it Expose 2. Other implimentations will include how active Windows work, for example, dragging a Window from one side of the screen to the other causes the sides to waver, as if there is actual force being excerted. Windows will no longer clumsely sit on top of one another. If a Window is tiled over top of another, the two Windows will allign with one another, and their names will be shown at the top. When the user waves his mouse over the top of the Windows, they will individually highlight. This is for convenient especially when there are multiple windows open at once.
Seems like a nice idea.

INTERFACE 2
No longer will desktops be static. Desktops will have the option of being turned ACTIVE, or NON ACTIVE, meaning specially designed backgrounds now move. E.G: A forest scene with a looping waterfall, with the water flowing and leaves moving. Apple is hoping this will be a catch on for developers, as there will probably be a large new market for ACTIVE desktops when Mac OS 10.5 is released. This not only enhances the experience of the GUI, but creates a new foundation of integrating graphics and functionality.
I wouldn't mind having an active desktop. There are hacks now available to set a screensaver as your background, but I heard it breaks Expose.

SYSTEM
Apple is redesigning the Finder to be even more useful. There will now be an option to enable tabbed browsing for all Finder Windows, this ultimately enables users to instantly go to and from custom locations in a breeze. This also rids of the sidebar, and enables users more room for browsing files and folders. The Finder is also integrating the possibility to navigate a webpage and your hard drive at the same time. E.G One tabbed window has your local content, and another has a web page, Switching between the two simply adds buttons or functions from the menu and/or window itself. This will be a great function, especially for saving downloaded files.
Now this is something I definitely don't want. If I want to view a website, I will open my web browser and do so. Apple should develop Finder to do one thing and one thing well...organize and browse files. Why add bloat to it. Leave web browsing for web browsers.

Now the idea of having tabbed browsing of my file system is feature I welcome. I love how it has made browsing the Internet so easy, I assume it could have a similar effect for viewing files.

What do you guys think?

Mike

Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 03:02 AM

1. WTF? If I hold down Command while moving a window, I do it because I want to slightly adjust its position without messing with the main window, or because I want to manipulate some widget on it without bringing it to the front. I don't want to shrink the windows. If I wanted that, I would hit the Exposé key, not the Command key. Different purposes, for different tools.

2. This is a complete gimmick. It doesn't present anything useful to the user at all, and is a rather Microsoftesque thing (even down to the words "Active Desktop" appearing in your post).

3. WTF? Tabbed browsing in the Finder? Why?! There is no reason for this at all.

Needless to say, I don't think this is inside information on 10.5. Apple would come up with some more substantial interface improvements than those, sorry. Next time, try to be more creative.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2004, 03:32 AM

I like the idea of tabbed browsing for the finder, especially since my mac is an ibook and desktop real estate is precious.

Professional Poster
Location: Australia, the greatest country in the world, (Australians keep telling me).
Mar 16, 2004, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Needless to say, I don't think this is inside information on 10.5. Apple would come up with some more substantial interface improvements than those, sorry. Next time, try to be more creative.
I agree, none of these ideas would be much use at all.

Try to think of something new, and back it up with PS mockups.

There are plenty of 10.4 threads with better ideas than this.

Gibbert  (op)
Banned
Mar 16, 2004, 04:07 AM

I was going for more interface enhancements...oh well..

Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 04:11 AM

I was going for more interface enhancements...oh well..
Post some screen mockups of ideas you have.

Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 05:58 AM

Actually it was about this time last year that we all started making serious speculation and discussion about Panther so I don't find this topic off the wall.

Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 08:54 AM

The next major version of OS X will be 10.4
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 09:53 AM

I have your baby inside of me

~~~(+1)~~~

Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 12:16 PM

There's nothing serious about this topic...I hope.

Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 12:45 PM

for example, dragging a Window from one side of the screen to the other causes the sides to waver, as if there is actual force being excerted
That sounds quite familiar. <--DIALUP USERS BEWARE!! link to Longhorn technology preview video.

Since Microsoft has already demo'ed this technology, I highly doubt Apple would implement it

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Wow...so far 10.5 sounds like ****. And by **** I mean sh!t!
Damn! That was good. Funniest thing I've all day.
Sizzling like an isotope.

Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:17 PM

I agree with MPMoriarty...Active desktops are already possible. I have been using DesktopMagic that allows me to have an active desktop...
http://www.stupidfish23.com/DesktopMagikinfo.php

t

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2004, 11:27 PM

This thread isn't serving a purpose. Even if it wasn't supposed to be a worthless thread (like the 10.6 one), it became one with everyone's response. Let's keep the rumormill to no later than the next upcoming point release.

IATL™

Forum Links
Forum Rules