Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Some Terminal problems

Some Terminal problems
Mar 18, 2004, 07:35 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering whether this or the Software forum is the right place to post this but decided this may be related to more than just the Terminal.app software.

I have two issues with the Terminal, one is annoying but bearable, the other isseriously getting to me.

The first one is the Terminal's inability to display correctly non ASCII characters. I have set it to not escape non-ASCII characters and the default encoding to UTF-8. And still trying to enter any German characters ends up in what may seem to be the escaped versions of them. It is actually not, I beleive, as , and all appear as \303.

The second one is much more troublesome. If I enter a command long enough to reach the end of the line and project behind it, the new line does not appear BELOW the first one, but rather starts at the beginning of the SAME line... Here is a screenshot: http://www.uni-bonn.de/~nmkolev/span.png . See the "er" at the end of the command cutting into the rompt on the line where the command started? Bad...

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
_nmk
( Last edited by _nmk; Mar 18, 2004 at 08:01 PM. )

Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 03:19 PM

Go in Terminal->Window Settings, then Select "Buffer" and make sure "Wrap lines that are too long" option is selected.

Forum Links
Forum Rules