Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Keyboard shortcut for u with a line above it

Keyboard shortcut for u with a line above it
Thread Tools
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 30, 2004, 08:46 AM
 
I can get it from the Character Palette but want to know if there's a shortcut like for and
i.e. = option+e then e
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Asheville, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 03:17 PM
 
Originally posted by m4rtin:
I can get it from the Character Palette but want to know if there's a shortcut like for and
i.e. = option+e then e
ASCII doesn't define a u with a line above it. I don't believe that keyboard shortcuts for unicode characters have been well defined yet.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 10:33 PM
 
The U.S.A keyboard layout shortcuts are only for MacRoman encoding.

But you can get a shortcut for U-macron (option-u, in fact) if you use the Hawaiian layout. Enable it in the International control panel.

Every language has its own shortcuts defined depending on what characters are commonly in use in that language (or what keyboards are common in the respective country), so for certain unicode characters you can get a shortcut. Obviously, not for all.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 10:57 PM
 
Originally posted by arekkusu:
The U.S.A keyboard layout shortcuts are only for MacRoman encoding.

But you can get a shortcut for U-macron (option-u, in fact) if you use the Hawaiian layout. Enable it in the International control panel.

Every language has its own shortcuts defined depending on what characters are commonly in use in that language (or what keyboards are common in the respective country), so for certain unicode characters you can get a shortcut. Obviously, not for all.
Actually, it's probably a better idea just to enable the U.S. Extended keyboard layout. It allows you to type a lot of diacriticals from many different languages. The one you are looking for can be typed with option-A + U.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
m4rtin  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2004, 12:41 AM
 
Originally posted by CharlesS:
Actually, it's probably a better idea just to enable the U.S. Extended keyboard layout. It allows you to type a lot of diacriticals from many different languages. The one you are looking for can be typed with option-A + U.
Perfect!
Cheers all.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2