Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > OS X on ibook with forgotten password

OS X on ibook with forgotten password
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 09:15 AM

I recently bought a ibook off ebay from another seller. Once i got my ibook, everything was running smoothly, until i lost the stoopid password for the login prompt. I contacted the buyer and he doesnt reply back as to what it is, or what the root password is in order for me to reset the user password.

I didnt get the OS X cd off him as i didnt know it was needed wen this sort of stuff happens. I was going to buy my own copy since his was a copy. So now i cant use my ibook all together!!!!

Is there any way i can login as root or reset the passwords? or is there anyway i can format it and install a fresh copy of OS X?

I need some serious guruz to help me out on this major headache issue.

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2004, 09:41 AM

Once you get an install disk, you'll be able to both reset the password and reformat the drive, whichever takes your fancy.

Without the install disk, I do not think you can.

Unless...

Try the following:

...delete the home directory and the NetInfo database, and the .AppleSetupDone file. To do this cleanup, boot into single user mode (hold command-S during startup) and then type the following commands :
Code:
mount -uw / rm -rf /var/db/netinfo rm -f /var/db/.AppleSetupDone find /Users ! -name Shared -maxdepth 1 -type d | grep -v "/Users$" | xargs rm -rf
BE CAREFUL, THIS WILL DELETE THE HOME OF ALL USERS AND MAKE SURE THE SETUP ASISTANT IS RUN DURING THE FIRST RESTART. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR MAC AND DO NOT HAVE ANY IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON YOUR HARDDISK
So, if you have anything of consequence in the home folder, do not do the last line of code, just the first three. Then, when you restart the machine, make a new account, probably with a different user name than before, just to avoid confusion, and all should be well.

Keep in mind I haven't actually tried to do what you want to do. I've only used the above instructions in their complete form, when selling an iBook.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Clinically Insane
May 3, 2004, 09:54 AM

What system is it running? Pre-Panther, you could do this: (not sure about Panther, haven't tried).

Boot the machine, holding command-s.

Then:
mount -uw /

Then:
SystemStarter (Maybe unnecessary, but whatever)

Then:
passwd root (and change the password)

Then you can do sudo passwd *user* to change a user's password, or just do passwd user from the current prompt.

Been a while since I've done that, but it should work.

BTW - this sounds dodgy. You sure the machine isn't hot?

Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by ratboynigga:
I recently bought a ibook off ebay from another seller. Once i got my ibook, everything was running smoothly, until i lost the stoopid password for the login prompt. I contacted the buyer and he doesnt reply back as to what it is, or what the root password is in order for me to reset the user password.

I didnt get the OS X cd off him as i didnt know it was needed wen this sort of stuff happens. I was going to buy my own copy since his was a copy. So now i cant use my ibook all together!!!!

Is there any way i can login as root or reset the passwords? or is there anyway i can format it and install a fresh copy of OS X?

I need some serious guruz to help me out on this major headache issue.
Nice name, btw

Anyway, just boot from the installer CD (holding down 'c' key at boot), and select "reset admin password" from the CD.

Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Nice name, btw

Anyway, just boot from the installer CD (holding down 'c' key at boot), and select "reset admin password" from the CD.
hehe duh. im of the mind that no matter how cheap you bought this comp, it is totally worth your while to go out and buy panther. if you know anyone at uni, its only $69. just do it and then these nice people dont have to feel guilty about helping thieves steal hardware. (not accusing btw, just thinking "big")

its worth your dollar to own panther anyway.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 05:48 AM

Thanx guys

I went out and bought myself a copy of panther and everything is up and running smoothly. Thanx for your help with all that command stuff, but i wasnt confident enough to do all that, so went and got mac OS X instead. But thank you all anyways.

Forum Links
Forum Rules