Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > The 10.5 Wishlist

The 10.5 Wishlist
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 04:15 AM

The Official Mac OS X 10.5 Wishlist. What does everyone want to see in the upcoming version? Remember, this will be released around the same time as Windows Vista, the large competitor. This time, Apple is ahead of the game though. What does everyone want to see?
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Sep 5, 2005, 04:52 AM

I'll make this a sticky. Please use this thread for all 10.5 speculation
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Senior User
Sep 5, 2005, 10:33 AM

This is a stretch... Running windows applications native in os x due to the switch to intel processors
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 12:21 PM

While running Windows apps natively (I use that word recklessly) is a stretch, I would love to see an implementation of wine, or something like so we could run them. That may be what you were saying though. I don't think it would be much more different than the port Apple did of X11

I'd like to see some more options on Dashboard. Konfabulator has levels you can place widgets at. I'd like to see that. Native USB camera support in iChat.

Beyond that, I would like my Radeon 8500 to play DVDs again.
Sorry, My list is pretty lame. I just got Tiger, so I need to play with that more.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 12:39 PM

How about an rsync that isn't total crap? Actually I'd really like that for 10.4.3.

Senior User
Sep 5, 2005, 01:39 PM

While Apple and the Darwin Group are rewriting the kernel anyway for the Intel transition, they could as well repair all the issues with signaling, threading, context switching, spawning and the like. This alone would make the OS remarkably speedier, responsive and stable.

Talking about stability: Cut off all System services with regard to files, volumes, network etc that are part of the Finder and make those reentrant. Refurbish the rest of the remaining Finder to match the current claim of "most innovative OS".

Jacob  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 05:20 PM

Personally, I would love to see 'live desktops'. Which are technically movie files which loop on your desktop. A couple of software designers have made apps like these, but are not very good. I'm sure if Apple implemented their own version of this idea into the OS, it would be superior, elegant, and compliment OS X. Let me give an example: A scene at the ocean. But the water ripples slightly, and the leaves blow every so often. (Although not too sudden-as to decrease confusion and clutter).

'Independant folder encryption' This is an idea I thought SOMEONE would implement by now, Winzip does it...but I would like to see it on normal folders too. What I mean is, give folders the option to be password protected. That way, if a user had certain files which were very important, they could lock it. Then enable a systemwide folder password. (Having different passwords allowed on individual folders would lead to certain doom...as users would most likely forget all the different passwords!).

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 08:38 PM

I like Jacob's ideas... esp. the desktop

Senior User
Sep 5, 2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
While running Windows apps natively (I use that word recklessly) is a stretch, I would love to see an implementation of wine, or something like so we could run them. That may be what you were saying though. I don't think it would be much more different than the port Apple did of X11

I'd like to see some more options on Dashboard. Konfabulator has levels you can place widgets at. I'd like to see that. Native USB camera support in iChat.

Beyond that, I would like my Radeon 8500 to play DVDs again.
Sorry, My list is pretty lame. I just got Tiger, so I need to play with that more.
thats what i was talking bout. just really to make the gamers happy.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Sep 6, 2005, 08:21 AM

- a usable backup tool included for all users
- a working implementation of rsync
- more flexibility with saved searches (more complicated and/or patterns, faster searches, custom fields (e. g. author, project))
- stop this GUI mess and finally converge Brushed Metal, Aqua, ProApps and Mail to a more sophisticated Mail-like interface with all the proApps goodies
- include project support for the Finder

Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 03:39 PM

Resolution independent UI and the high DPI displays it enables.

Remote graphical login that doesn't suck.

FTFF

Fix Xcode. Even better, fix it, and make it open source.

Sep 6, 2005, 04:15 PM

FTFF?

Seriously, could you be more specific?

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2005, 11:17 PM

Tabbed Finder as in upcoming Pathfinder 4 release.
Spotlight results available with context menus (right-clickable)
UI options for the slideshow interface
faster dashboard widget startup
overhaul of Aqua UI

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 12:45 AM

Fix dock zooming. Specifically check out Google's (retracted) X project.

In the apple dock, when you move from one icon to the next, the icons move away from you. The result is that the click target is still only as big as the unzoomed icon. For this reason, I don't know anyone who still has this turned on.

In Google's version, the icon stays zoomed until you move off it. The result is that the click target is as big as the zoomed icon. This makes the thing actually useable.

Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
FTFF?

Seriously, could you be more specific?
For those unfamiliar with the term, FTFF == Fix The F***ing Finder

Specifically I'm thinking of stuff like the inability to update the free space count on disks, or the completely broken permissions setting (has anyone actually gotten 'apply to contents' to work reliably?), and the ever-famous pretending to have ftp upload capability while really not.

Sep 7, 2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
For those unfamiliar with the term, FTFF == Fix The F***ing Finder

Specifically I'm thinking of stuff like the inability to update the free space count on disks, or the completely broken permissions setting (has anyone actually gotten 'apply to contents' to work reliably?), and the ever-famous pretending to have ftp upload capability while really not.
I did understand the acronym alright

But usually I hear little more than that … and honestly I think the Finder has more sever problems than what you just mentioned. Feels kinda like an iApp whereas I would need more power. Specifically, a better integration of smart folders into the whole structure, the ability to add custom fields to files and folders, etc. Adding comments by dragging files onto folders.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 09:35 PM

Just as I've said since Mac OS X Public Beta was released, and I'm still waiting:

• Zooming of windows to full screen when clicking on the green expand button rather than just toggling between the two last sizes when the drag corner was used
• Ability to split the Finder screen window so that you can drag files from the directory in the top half of the screen to the directory in the bottom half, or to do so from the left half to the right half of the screen. Having to open multiple Finder windows is ridiculous, especially in the Column view, which is all I ever use.
• Final riddance of the ugly brushed metal GUI and implementation of something similar to Apple Mail 2 with some elements of iTunes 5, more similar to the Iridium 1.6.2 themes that are available from SageFire.org.
• A full-featured Cocoa word processor that can perfectly render and save MS Word files after Microsoft switches to less-proprietary XML-based documents
• Safari with selectable search engines such as the plugins used by Firefox.

Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 10:20 PM

Redesigned Finder. Creativebits recently redesigned the finder, and I think it looks really nice in unified style (and some of the features like the saved clipboards and recent searches are neat). Tabs would also be nice, PathFinder 4 will have this.

Redesigned Spotlight. The results window sucks in my opinion. Someone made a mockup of an improved one here. Much nicer.

iChat. I want to see MSN support for the new iChat, and also tabbed conversation windows like Adium.

- Ability to add multiple search engines in Safari. Auto-sort (alphabetically) features for Safari bookmarks.

- I want to see iCal get updated with more eye candy. And have it go back to the Panther behavior when you would quit iCal, the dock icon would keep the current date instead of going back to July 17.

- This would probably never happen, but I'd like to see either QuickSilver or Growl built-in or something similar to them.

Sep 8, 2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Xiaopangzi
• A full-featured Cocoa word processor that can perfectly render and save MS Word files after Microsoft switches to less-proprietary XML-based documents
Apple already has one which came out a year ago or so I'm surprised you missed it: it's called Pages and Part of iWork.

Since the next generation of MS Office is still in active development, I'm sure it'll support the new xml-based .doc format as well (currently it only understands the normal .doc format).

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 07:42 AM

How bout finally being able to remember LEAP networks....? For the love of GOD...

And make it so putting my PB to sleep doesn't hang the WindowsGUI / Bluetooth service when I wake it back up.. (I use an MS BT mouse)
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 11:26 PM

First, I'm with all the folks who want a standardized GUI for all of the operating system itself and all the Apple apps that come on the same disk.

My other requests are probably just a result of the security paranoia that using Windows for years and years will engender in anyone, but here they are anyhow. I know that a lot of people will chafe at the notion of Apple's implementing an idea after Microsoft (heck, I don't like the implied chronology either), but Apple should consolidate all its security features into one group off the main system preferences pane. I know that it makes some amount of sense to have the personal firewall options under the "Sharing" group, but it would make more sense to me to have it under the "Security" group with FileVault. Second, I think that the firewall should be turned on in 'stealth' mode by default, so that Apple's less computer-literate 'switchers' won't have to go looking for it unless it causes a problem.

Finally, I think Apple should give Mark Allan of ClamXav (http://clamxav.com) a hefty bounty (because he deserves it) and then integrate a robust, user-friendly anti-virus program into the system. ClamXav is brilliant, and I trust it thoroughly, but it is, as yet, only implemented on the very surface of OS X, and without a third-party AppleScript won't automatically scan incoming mail attachments, which thankfully right now are the only way Mac users should ever see a Windows virus. Further, ClamXav relies heavily on the user to seal the deal and eliminate viruses that it identifies. And ClamXav, even with these deficiencies, puts McAfee Virex, once the standard anti-virus for .Mac members, to shame, particularly since ClamXav is free.

I don't want to drag the "Anti-virus is for cowards" flame wars into this thread, because it's definitely the wrong thread for it. All I'm saying is, I and a lot of other people would appreciate not even having to bother with worrying about it, and I think that including what I'm sure would be the best and best-integrated anti-virus program for any operating system would be a great way to reinforce OS X's already superb reputation for security.

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Franz
iChat. I want to see MSN support for the new iChat, and also tabbed conversation windows like Adium.
That would be nice. But if they do that it should be 100% support of ALL the features not the half assed support you get with adium/gaim and through Jabber.

Why oh why doesn't MS realese a good Messenger for Mac?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 03:40 PM

Dock pinning as a pref in the Dock control panel.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Xiaopangzi
Just as I've said since Mac OS X Public Beta was released, and I'm still waiting:

• Zooming of windows to full screen when clicking on the green expand button rather than just toggling between the two last sizes when the drag corner was used
So if the window is currently showing 2 of 10 items, you'd like the green expand button to take the window full screen just to show 10 items? I think the current implementation is far more sensible.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 06:54 PM

I wish Apple would pick one GUI-style and stick with it. We have Aqua, Metal, iTunes Metal, and Widget-style. While on the subject why not include a theming utility as part of the OS?

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Why oh why doesn't MS realese a good Messenger for Mac?
Because MS can't release a good anything for any platform

Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by cgc
I wish Apple would pick one GUI-style and stick with it. We have Aqua, Metal, iTunes Metal, and Widget-style. While on the subject why not include a theming utility as part of the OS?
Agreed, and something like the current Mail.app/iTunes 5 look would be good for all apps.

Also FTFF.

In fact, if Apple would concentrate *all* their effort or most of it to make the 10.5 Finder the best ever that would be enough for me.

It is time, most of the underpinnings of OS X have been addressed and now it is time for a UI/Finder overhaul.

Hoping 2006 will be the Year of the Finder.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 12:16 PM

I hope that they fix the issues with G5 single processor 1.8s... Running Tiger at all would be so nice.

R

Jacob  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 12:30 PM

I think my main request would be the GUI. Apple NEEDS to keep their GUI consistant. It's absolutely ridiculous. OS X 10 through 10.2 were more consistant. 10.3 they 'started' to show small signs of change..and now in 10.4 they went all out in having different themes in almost every app.

Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 05:13 AM

FTFF and keep the GUI consistant! And I want the ability to press a button and turn off the monitor/LCD or whatever, seeing as most Macs don't allow you to turn off the monitor seperately.

Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2005, 08:07 PM

I would like tabbing abilities in Safari, like Firefox has. It would be great to hit apple-t and have a window in a new tab pop up, instead of having so many open safari windows when looking at multiple web pages.

I'm brand new to Macs...im just curious about what is wrong with the finder that all of you Mac gurus say must be fixed in 10.5?

Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 15, 2005, 08:13 PM

Advanced Assistive Devices built in. Like JAWS for the sight impaired, and blind.
The advances made from Jaguar to Tiger have been fantastic but still fall short, and there is nothing worthy of loading onto a Mac that can compare to JAWS for Windows. Why someone has not stepped up to the plate is beyond me. Maybe one of you developers will do it, but I'd rather see it built in to the OS.

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2005, 09:49 PM

I'd like to see support for saving prefs for certain apps to a location online. Safari for example, I'd like to save all of my prefs and Bookmarks online so that that it's a standard experience for every place I open the app from.

kent m is not a member of any public groups

Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2005, 11:13 AM

Man... I work with a windows machine almost everyday... Windows is really behind in this department right now... I'm so happy to be using a Mac.

Anyway, Vista will be good competition and I hope Apple brings 10.5 to a whole new level.

The Finder. I still don't really "get it". Its a two click away from anything useful. I want to open an app; finder then app... I want to find info on a given folder/ file; finder then get info... etc, etc. I'd love to see a finder where the information I am looking for is right there... I think Spotlight maybe a big part of this... sort of like Quicksilver... anyway...

The Desktop. I use the desktop currently as a holding place for current files. I think a lot of people do... its cluttered and not very "nice looking". Whatever happened to piles? I currently have piles on my desktop its just hard to sort through when I am looking for something! Or maybe the answer is virtual desktops like on my linux box... I don't know.

The GUI. Oh man. I really loved the GUI of OSX... but it has gone mad. Apple needs to fix this madness. I don't even care which "theme" they choose... lets see it streamlined. As well, expose and dashboard are cool... but I feel they could be improved; especially dashboard. It needs to be brought to a place of usefulness that it currently is not for me (sorry, vague... I know).

Windows & Intel. I don't think native support of Windows is unreasonable. I'd love to purchase an Intel Mac with 10.5 and the ability to load windows on a small pre-existing partition (that could be formatted to NTSF and not FAT32) and open and run windows alongside my MacOS. I use Windows ONLY because I have a few tasks that can only be done on a Windows system (damn Access)... I know this is going to be a 3rd party solution; but I think Apple should consider it. Think of the those switchers who not only make the hardware upgrade when switching to a Mac but the software upgrade (that's the biggest barrier to switching in my opinion). What if you still could run your current Windows software from within a "windows environment" natively? It would be mass exodus...

Anyway... just my hopes... I hope Apple brings it to a whole new level...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 05:31 PM

with the coming of intel boxes I would like to see support for high end video cards and drivers, i.e. quadro's and firegl's...apple being able to take advantage would prevent me from having to build a linux/windows box.

Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 05:58 PM

On the Intel Macs, I'd like to see a hack to run Windows Gadgets on Dashboard just to shut them all up.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bradoesch
So if the window is currently showing 2 of 10 items, you'd like the green expand button to take the window full screen just to show 10 items? I think the current implementation is far more sensible.
Or you can hold down the [OPTION]-key when clicking on the green expand button.

This will resize the window to fit the contents.

A.

[EDIT]: Sorry, it seems the fit-to-content function is implemented by design (ie without [OPTION]
Proves once again that it pays to know what one is talking about before posting...
"Man is a biped without feathers."
Plato (427-347 BC)

Sep 17, 2005, 02:19 PM

Fixing the kernel might be tricky without switching to a more monolithic kernel which would be a very bad thing.

Originally Posted by Kate
While Apple and the Darwin Group are rewriting the kernel anyway for the Intel transition, they could as well repair all the issues with signaling, threading, context switching, spawning and the like. This alone would make the OS remarkably speedier, responsive and stable.

Talking about stability: Cut off all System services with regard to files, volumes, network etc that are part of the Finder and make those reentrant. Refurbish the rest of the remaining Finder to match the current claim of "most innovative OS".

Sep 17, 2005, 02:32 PM

Safari already does tabs. Open the preferences select Tabs and check the Enable Tabbed Browsing option.

Originally Posted by jam8
I would like tabbing abilities in Safari, like Firefox has. It would be great to hit apple-t and have a window in a new tab pop up, instead of having so many open safari windows when looking at multiple web pages.

I'm brand new to Macs...im just curious about what is wrong with the finder that all of you Mac gurus say must be fixed in 10.5?

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2005, 02:34 PM

Safari already has tabs, but its not enabled by default. You can enable it by going into Safari's Preferences and going to the Tabs pane.

Sep 17, 2005, 02:43 PM

Totally agree with almost everything. I think they should enable the firewall by default in stealth mode but leave it under the sharing panel. That way users realize that the firewall is connected with sharing. Having it under security creates a disconnect, users have to goto sharing to enable services and then goto to security for actually allow them through the firewall.

ClamXav is the best virus scanner I've used. I would love to see it use the fs notify service that spotlight uses to check filesystem changes.

Originally Posted by Salmon
My other requests are probably just a result of the security paranoia that using Windows for years and years will engender in anyone, but here they are anyhow. I know that a lot of people will chafe at the notion of Apple's implementing an idea after Microsoft (heck, I don't like the implied chronology either), but Apple should consolidate all its security features into one group off the main system preferences pane. I know that it makes some amount of sense to have the personal firewall options under the "Sharing" group, but it would make more sense to me to have it under the "Security" group with FileVault. Second, I think that the firewall should be turned on in 'stealth' mode by default, so that Apple's less computer-literate 'switchers' won't have to go looking for it unless it causes a problem.

Finally, I think Apple should give Mark Allan of ClamXav (http://clamxav.com) a hefty bounty (because he deserves it) and then integrate a robust, user-friendly anti-virus program into the system. ClamXav is brilliant, and I trust it thoroughly, but it is, as yet, only implemented on the very surface of OS X, and without a third-party AppleScript won't automatically scan incoming mail attachments, which thankfully right now are the only way Mac users should ever see a Windows virus. Further, ClamXav relies heavily on the user to seal the deal and eliminate viruses that it identifies. And ClamXav, even with these deficiencies, puts McAfee Virex, once the standard anti-virus for .Mac members, to shame, particularly since ClamXav is free.

I don't want to drag the "Anti-virus is for cowards" flame wars into this thread, because it's definitely the wrong thread for it. All I'm saying is, I and a lot of other people would appreciate not even having to bother with worrying about it, and I think that including what I'm sure would be the best and best-integrated anti-virus program for any operating system would be a great way to reinforce OS X's already superb reputation for security.

Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 17, 2005, 09:13 PM

Ok James... (troll extra-ordinaire)

It has Tabs... open preferences and turn them on. Genius...

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2005, 11:52 PM

My only wish for Mac OS 10.5 is for people to stop talking about it. It's not even close to being out yet... why is everyone already on the 10.5 bandwagon. We know nothing about it and discussing what we think should be in it isn't going to get Apple to use our ideas. So why bother?

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2005, 02:09 PM

hi folks.
look at the movies of the last build of windows vista at PDC05 (www.winsupersite.com). they are pretty cool.
indeed, the gui isn't very nice, but are some remarkably things, like the control tab window, the dashboard ripoff or the hability to snap windows in a cool perspective.

i would like to see a 3d finder in leopard. go go apple
Moreno | manuel.moreno@netcabo.pt

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2005, 07:25 PM

I hope that Apple will progress further on simplifying the UI rather than complexitysing our world. It's a far far more difficult proposition to take the complicated and present it in the simplest possible manner. Thus far Apple have been the experts in this field bar none. MS have the complete opposite. We've got a lot going with Tiger already, but new features are also inevitable. It's the taking the jumble of technology a step further and finding the better paradigm that's going to win the race.

What's good for newbs is often good for the experts too. Take iMovie - you got a big project, by all means take it into Final Cut. But if you want to something quickly, iMovie is the champ. The Quicktime player is the defacto UI - most copied. IMHO.

What do you do with x.5??

Show newbs the way with divvying up the computer into what they use, what experts use, what the computer uses etc. I also know that this is what is going to happen in the future - only better when Apple finds the innovation.

Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2005, 10:36 PM

1) An option in the labels so that you can only highlight the folder color like in system 9.
2) An option so that you can change the label colors to whatever you want.
3) A new menubar analog clock that has tick marks and is easier to read.
4) Where the console tells you the IP addresses of computers that attempted to get into your computer, I'd like it to also say which IP addresses DID get into your computer.
5) An option to fit the dock all the way to the screen edges regardless of if its filled or not.
6) Put the analog clock option back into the dock.
7) An alert or flag that (you can select on or off) that notifies you if someone has entered into your computer via a port.
8) Speed up the finder so that if you search for cache files and select them all and drag them to the trash, it doesn't take a half hour to get it done (I've got a G4 sawtooth and if I select over a couple thousand files, it really slows down the system to a crawl).
9) An option to put the trash can on the desktop.
10) More menu apps from Apple.
11) Some system dock apps from apple that tell you system stuff (like menumeters).
12) Change the look of the dock so that it sort of looks like the dasboard menu while still being the dock.
( Last edited by sc_markt; Sep 18, 2005 at 10:57 PM. )

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2005, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by moreno
hi folks.
look at the movies of the last build of windows vista at PDC05 (www.winsupersite.com). they are pretty cool.
indeed, the gui isn't very nice, but are some remarkably things, like the control tab window, the dashboard ripoff or the hability to snap windows in a cool perspective.
i would like to see a 3d finder in leopard. go go apple
Heya,
Thanks for posting the link - I have a rude request: if you've been through the site would you mind posting a few direct links to the videos? There's a ton of crap and advertising there, to my eyes it's a terribly annoying and badly set up site, and I just can't find what you were wanting to show...

...and what do you mean by a '3d finder' exactly? Do you mean full on 3d glasses and dimensional effects with touch gloves for controlling the bits and baubles? :-) or just more corner-pinning tricks like the dull Sun presentation that was showcased a while ago? or... something Different?

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2005, 05:25 AM

This post was originally published in the FTFF thread, but that has become mired & heady and I think these are actually more suited here. So, sorry if anyone is offended by a double post... but here are my humble request for the Finder in 10.5:

General:
~Mouse Over Focus support, without having the windows jump to #1. Once you get used to this it's necessary. Right now it's implemented haphazardly in the Finder and apps - some have it some don't, some wheel support some not, which is annoying.

~I'd like to see the click-through standard be universal. Whatever I can see I can click and activate. I hate having to click to define focus on something and then click again to activate it. Hey, it's right there in Apple's Standard Sheet.

~Multiple Desktops support, although Virtual Desktops already does a kickass job of this...

Finder Windows:
~Tabs. Basically, dynamic bookmarks of locations...
I resisted this at first in Safari (or Opera or whatever) but now I find it indispensable for web browsing. I want this for the Finder too. I guess the alias' in the Finder Window Toolbar does this same thing, but Tabs just seem more suited to disposable bookmarked locations.

~The option to show a path field in the Finder windows and navigate with it.
This would function similar to the way it works in Windows, but would actually work and allow navigation. I think I'm pretty much alone on this one... I can see reason why this shouldn't be allowed, that commands that can be executed in the terminal windows couldn't be executed in this one and this would confuse people... but it sure would help out with quick nav at times. Shift-Cmd-G is not the same because it doesn't allow quick dynamic navigating...

~The ability to sort 'by date' in the Finder Column View Windows. Currently it's only 'by name'...

~The option to display multiple like named items as a single group. For example:
image.001.jpg image.002.jpg image.003.jpg

Would be displayed as:
image.001-003.jpg

...I suppose that the Preview pane could allow a < and > button the cycle through the images...

~A recent change to the finder has Renamed Items remain in their current position until the window is refreshed (An attempt to woo Windows users by playing to their comfort behaviors?). I'd prefer the renamed items jump to the correct sorting position immediately.

Dock:
~The ability to drag items into nested directories of directories in the Dock. Currently you can only drag items onto a Dock item. So... when I drag something into a folder icon in the Dock I'd like to navigate into folders within it, the same way you can when you click-select a directory in the Dock.

~If you click-select a directory in the Dock that has a lot of items in it there can be a bit of a wait before it displays the contents. Is there a way that directories in the Dock can be pre-cached, perhaps at log-in, so that I don't have to wait for the system to catch up with me?

Exposé:
~Exposé's 'All Windows' mode would allow windows to be organized by dragging, and the windows should always shrink to the Same Position (unless new windows are added to the mix...). I don't know how the organizing would work, with the dynamic resizing and and all, but I'd like to be able to do this.

Spotlight:
~More definable options for Spotlight prefs. ...ability to set the default number of found items to display, etc. Add the ability to move the icon from the Right-most position on Menu and drop the color.

~Spotlight starts searching as soon as I start typing. This usually causes a bit of a hang where I can't type because the system is busy searching for something I don't want it to. I prefer that Spotlight not start searching until I've paused from typing for, oh, I don't know... a quarter of a second.

Senior User
Sep 21, 2005, 01:04 AM

A better safari that doesn't have problems with multiple tabs being open for a long time.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by kent m
Heya,
Thanks for posting the link - I have a rude request: if you've been through the site would you mind posting a few direct links to the videos? There's a ton of crap and advertising there, to my eyes it's a terribly annoying and badly set up site, and I just can't find what you were wanting to show...
down, at video content.

here is it!

ã sorry.. try this.

here is it
Moreno | manuel.moreno@netcabo.pt

Forum Links
Forum Rules