Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Top Secret – What are we missing out on?

Top Secret – What are we missing out on? (Page 2)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Moose
Hmm:
Yeah, I'm retarded. I'd forgotten that CV's in Tiger.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 12:44 AM

"Leopard will feature resolution-independent user interface and there are several functions to get the current scaling factor and apply it to pixel measurements. It is a good idea to use vector controls and buttons (PDF will work fine) or to have multiple sized resources, similar to Mac OS X icon design, so you can scale to the nearest size for the required resolution.

Core Animation allows layers to be used as backing stores for a view, windows to use explicit animations when resizing (can be three dimensional, akin to the Time Machine view). Any view can now be put into fullscreen mode and a CoreImage transition effect can be used. Using Core Animation you can create anything including GPU-accelerated Front Row-style user interfaces without having to write OpenGL code. A Core Animation layer can include OpenGL content, Core Image and Core Video filter effects and Quartz/Cocoa drawing content, like views and windows."

http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.ph...=0&#entry58868

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 02:16 AM

Wow. So much cool information in that article that it deserves a full quote:
Apple Computer's recently previewed Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" has made quite a stir, not because of what was shown at the World Wide Developer Conference but of what was excluded from show, cited "Top Secret". However, the build released to attendees at the conference includes a huge number of ground-breaking changes to the underlying technology in Mac OS X and the APIs exposed to developers.

As a world wide exclusive, AeroXP has received information detailing several of the API improvements to Leopard, detailed below:
  • Complete 64-Bit support for Intel and PowerPC through all frameworks excluding QuickTime C, QuickDraw, Sound Manager, Code Fragment Manager, Language Analysis Manager and QuickTime Musical Instruments. These modules are deprecated and one should use the modern equivalents instead.
  • Leopard will feature resolution-independent user interface and there are several functions to get the current scaling factor and apply it to pixel measurements. It is a good idea to use vector controls and buttons (PDF will work fine) or to have multiple sized resources, similar to Mac OS X icon design, so you can scale to the nearest size for the required resolution.
  • Address Book adds support for sharing accounts, allowing an application to restrict content according to user.
  • Automator includes a new user interface and allows things such as action recording, workflow variables and embedding workflows in other applications.
  • Time Machine has an API that allows developers to exclude unimportant files from a backup set which improves backup performance and reduces space needed for a backup.
  • A new Calendar Store framework allows developers access to calendar, event and task information from iCal to use in their applications or to add new events or tasks.
  • Carbon, the set of APIs built upon Classic MacOS and used by most 3rd party high-profile Mac OS X applications, now allows Cocoa views to be embedded into the application. This could provide applications like Photoshop and Microsoft Office access to advanced functions previously only available to Cocoa applications.
  • A new control for creating matrices of views is available, NSGridView. This allows a grid to be created from any view in the system, including OpenGL or Web Views.
  • Core Animation allows layers to be used as backing stores for a view, windows to use explicit animations when resizing (can be three dimensional, akin to the Time Machine view). Any view can now be put into fullscreen mode and a CoreImage transition effect can be used. Using Core Animation you can create anything including GPU-accelerated Front Row-style user interfaces without having to write OpenGL code. A Core Animation layer can include OpenGL content, Core Image and Core Video filter effects and Quartz/Cocoa drawing content, like views and windows.
  • Text engine improvements include a systemwide grammar checking facility, smart quote support, automatic link detection and support for copying and pasting multiple selections.
    Core Image has been upgraded to allow access to RAW images directly.
  • Apache 2.0, Ruby on Rails and Subversion are included, and support for script-to-framework programming is available, allowing Python and Ruby scripting to access Mac OS X specific APIs.
    The iChat framework allows a developer to add shared content to an active iChat session, for example a video, an image slideshow or even an online multiplayer game.
  • "Sharing accounts" are possible, with users being restricted via an access control list (ACL) to certain applications or files. Developers can integrate with this by restricting access to a specific piece of content by connecting it to a sharing account. Sharing accounts have no home folder.
  • An Image Kit is included, to allow a developer to easily create an application that can browse, view, crop, rotate and pick images, then apply Core Image filter effects through an interface. A slideshow interface is also open to developers, allowing any application to display a fullscreen slideshow of images.
  • Leopard also gives developers access to a "Latent Semantic Mapping" framework, which is the basis for spam protection in Mail. It allows you to analyze text and train the engine to restrict items with specific content (like spam e-mail for example).
  • Mail stationery is open to developers, allowing any web designer to create fantastic-looking Mail templates, with defined areas for custom user content.
  • A new framework is included for publishing and subscribing to RSS and Atom feeds, including complete RSS parsing and generation. Local feeds can be shared over Bonjour zero-configuration sharing and discovery.
  • Quicktime 7.1 is included, and the underlying QTKit framework is greatly improved. There is improved correction for nonsquare pixels, use of the clean aperture which is the "user-displayable region of video that does not contain transition artifacts caused by the encoding process", support for aperture mode dimensions, improved pitch and rate control for audio and a number of developer improvements, like QuickTime capture from sources like cameras and microphones, full screen recording or QuickTime stream recording. Live content from a capture can be broadcast as a stream over the network.
Great find, SWG!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

P
Aug 10, 2006, 11:51 AM

Interesting. Makes me wonder why this wasn't announced - especially the resolution independence, which is a Big Deal and which will affect developers. Coudl be a fake, btu it could also be that these features are not completely certain for Leopard and might still be pulled.

Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 10, 2006, 11:54 AM

I just hope it is all true.

"Hello, what have we here?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 01:48 PM

Text engine improvements include a systemwide grammar checking facility, smart quote support, automatic link detection and support for copying and pasting multiple selections.

Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by P
Interesting. Makes me wonder why this wasn't announced - especially the resolution independence, which is a Big Deal and which will affect developers. Coudl be a fake, btu it could also be that these features are not completely certain for Leopard and might still be pulled.
Just because it wasn't announced in the keynote doesn't mean it wasn't announced in some other session. The bulk of new information is revealed in the individual sessions which are covered by a NDA.
Vandelay Industries

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Anyone have a mirror of this screenshot?

Interface Builder 3.0 - http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?i...icture2sx2.png

It showed up as bandwidth exceeded to me

I'll be glad to host it on my .Mac if anyone got a copy of screenshot.

Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 03:03 PM

I'm not a developer so this may be a stupid quesion...

If QE2D is in Leopard, how long before a developer spills the beans?

- Mark

Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 03:34 PM

Someone just did.

Interface Builder looks *much* nicer, btw. Unfortunately I didn't grab a copy of that image before it went down.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
Interface Builder looks *much* nicer, btw. Unfortunately I didn't grab a copy of that image before it went down.
Awesome, I'm looking forward to new interface, current IB is just pathetic. I've had several clients asking me if I do cocoa interface design and I'm really interested in it but no way I will do that with current IB.

P
Aug 10, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
Just because it wasn't announced in the keynote doesn't mean it wasn't announced in some other session. The bulk of new information is revealed in the individual sessions which are covered by a NDA.
Of course it's possible, but... the chances of such an NDA holding are slim to none - do you think Apple would bet on it? Do you think Jobs would skip demonstrating resolution-independent interface, potentially the coolest eye-candy feature in years, on the off chance that every single one of the developers would obey their NDAs? If this is true, it's probably becasue Apple don't want to promise the feature yet.

Senior User
Aug 10, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by P
If this is true, it's probably becasue Apple don't want to promise the feature yet.
Or because it wasn't ready for demonstration at the keynote.

Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 03:05 AM

Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Customizable grid spacing in the Finder? Oh thank God...

That's it, I'm sold.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Senior User
Aug 11, 2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst

That's it, I'm sold.
And here I thought everybody was going to go hogwild over the "Purchase spare battery" link in the battery menu extra.

Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Moose
And here I thought everybody was going to go hogwild over the "Purchase spare battery" link in the battery menu extra.
I was expecting that too.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst

That's it, I'm sold.
It seems like there won't be a new finder. There's some small new stuffs in Finder 10.5 and you'd think they'd rather to focus on finishing new finder instead of wasting manpower on old finder.

Oh well, there's always 10.6 =/

Professional Poster
Location: Australia, the greatest country in the world, (Australians keep telling me).
Aug 11, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by riverfreak
New UI? What does this mean?
Means updated UI look and feel, don't wet your pants about semantics.

Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts
It seems like there won't be a new finder. There's some small new stuffs in Finder 10.5 and you'd think they'd rather to focus on finishing new finder instead of wasting manpower on old finder.

Oh well, there's always 10.6 =/

Are you sure about that? What's your source? What was with your talk of all the secrets that will make us crawl?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Are you sure about that? What's your source? What was with your talk of all the secrets that will make us crawl?
I was mimicking Scobleizer ("dizzying amount of product..."). I know nothing of Apple's secrets

But Finder, there's some info on small new features for 10.5 such as grid size, better integration, etc. Those kind of works aren't "5 min job", they takes time to implement so you have to wonder why they're still improving old finder when new finder is supposedly (rumor) coming. I'd call them a sign that new finder isn't coming anytime soon.

Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 02:33 PM

It could be that they implemented those features early, before they started any wild revamps.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 02:36 PM

I was mimicking Scobleizer ("dizzying amount of product..."). I know nothing of Apple's secrets

But Finder, there's some info on small new features for 10.5 such as grid size, better integration, etc. Those kind of works aren't "5 min job", they takes time to implement so you have to wonder why they're still improving old finder when new finder is supposedly (rumor) coming. I'd call them a sign that new finder isn't coming anytime soon.

I can see them adding small things like grid spacing only later to gut the way finder windows look and act.

Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 04:59 PM

I predict Leopard will include iCup, an application and framework which will allow 10.5 to seamlessly integrate with both USB and Firewire-equipped coffee machines. Users will be able to specify type of coffee, grind and strength from a simple and powerful user interface, as well as the ability to set iCal alarms which can trigger the coffee machine to start coffee half an hour before you wake up.

iCup will also use a new feature of the iTMS (iTunes Mocha Store) which will allow users to purchase coffee online, as well as to arrange for delivery.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 07:49 PM

Well, they could make a new Finder by heavily upgrading the existing one, you know.

No need to scrap all your code base, after all.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 08:16 PM

If they did decide to heavily update it, I would expect them to use Cocoa, though. Apple seems to have given up on eating their own dogfood, as every program they've made in the last few years has been Cocoa, and they even ported a couple of existing apps from Carbon to Cocoa.
Chuck
___

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 08:56 PM

One thing that is very likely is new cocoa UI for carbon finder so they can use Core Animation and other cocoa goodies.

Grammar/Spell-checking service support in filename, lol.

Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 09:02 PM

Are you sure CoreAnimation is a Cocoa thing? I took it that it was like all the other Core* frameworks, which are outside of Carbon or Cocoa.
Chuck
___

Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Like always, I bitched about 10.5 but now I'm excited.

Anyways, I'm glad that Apple is keeping those features secret, because MS really will copy everything and put into Vista.
This is a good reason why Leopard will ship after Vista. If MS is true to it's history then Vista will be frozen as it ships for the next 3 years, with no changes other than bug fixes and security patches. Leaving it looking as old school next to 10.5 as XP is now to 10.4... or 10.3.... or...
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by MacManMikeOSX
Metadata is dead as a doornail, if they use anything and overhaul spotlight it'll use interprative clustering.
Umm.... Spotlight IS metadata. That's kind of the definition of an index. Or maybe you mean just adding keywords in the finder?
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2006, 02:46 AM

so basically I really need to get core image before this thing drops

Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2006, 10:44 PM

Text engine improvements include a systemwide grammar checking facility, smart quote support, automatic link detection and support for copying and pasting multiple selections.
It's really funny that you quoted that, in more ways than you may ever realize.
What's funnier is that Camino probably won't support it. I mean, we still don't have spellchecking in that thing...
To be determined later.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 09:53 AM

I find these highly hilarious

Professional Poster
Location: Australia, the greatest country in the world, (Australians keep telling me).
Aug 15, 2006, 10:00 AM

Grammar checking is not enabled yet.

Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Grammar checking is not enabled yet.
Obviously it's not, since the last sentence of angelmb's marketing materials says "laying around" when it should have said "lying around."

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Obviously it's not, since the last sentence of angelmb's marketing materials says "laying around" when it should have said "lying around."
Not only that !, it seems the system took revenge… my fonts look so 8 bits all of suddenly !!

http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/305743/suddenly-fonts-look-like-8-bit/#post3090487

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Not only that !, it seems the system took revenge… my fonts look so 8 bits all of suddenly !!

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?p=3090487

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Is this in 10.5 or 4?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 11:24 AM

10.4.7 of course.

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
10.4.7 of course.
So what does that have to do with this thread?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 12:28 PM

Well, I found funny that after doing some joke with the ATARI parody (note the image's name), my fonts were acting weird much like… well, old ATARI games.

Nevertheless, it wasn't my purpose to deflect the thread. Not to mention if being such post about 10.5 then it would be 100% illegal to discuss or/and ask for help here.

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak
It's really funny that you quoted that, in more ways than you may ever realize.
What's funnier is that Camino probably won't support it. I mean, we still don't have spellchecking in that thing...
And what's more irritating is that the spellchecker probably still will lack support for the Norwegian (and other) language(s), even though Norwegian is one of the official OS languages. Aspell already have complete dictionaries. Why can't Apple use them or whatever other opensource foundation they are using for their spellchecking service? Is it that much of an effort?

Sophus

Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sophus
And what's more irritating is that the spellchecker probably still will lack support for the Norwegian (and other) language(s), even though Norwegian is one of the official OS languages. Aspell already have complete dictionaries. Why can't Apple use them or whatever other opensource foundation they are using for their spellchecking service? Is it that much of an effort?

Sophus
Seconded

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 11:37 PM

I hope that the 'secret' interface for the finder looks something like this:

With the slightly glossy gray look and the clean, white widgets.

Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2006, 01:45 AM

I'm afraid that's just the new preview engine in Leopard. It's like that in Time Machine too.

Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 04:14 AM

Has nobody said anything about LVM hooks yet? Talk about something NEEDED. Since OS X is going to disk intensive niches OS X needs LVM raid capabilities. Especially something along the lines of XFS and it's GRIO support. Something like CXFS for XSAN as well.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 07:26 AM

If Apple is keeping this secret away from developers, then it will most likely be something that doesn't directly affect an application. That could mean that it would be new issues in the Finder. If that is the case, then we should first look at other operating systems and see what good ideas already exist. Plough through some of the UI guidelines for SGI's IRIX, Microsoft whatever, IBM's AIX, BeOS, NeXT, and Taligent.

Some of the interesting things that first come to mind for me center around file management. While this can be quite boring, it makes a dramatic difference for the user.

With BeOS you could pull the plug on the box and it would boot back up in 15 seconds without data loss. That was due to their fully journaled file system.

Some years back when I was working with IBM, they had some machines running the Andrew File System. It was an interesting way to enables files from any machine in the world with AFS to be accessed as easily as from a local machine.

There has also been some interesting discussions around the idea of a file system not being hierarchical and instead moving to a relational structure. That would mean that you could find a file in a few different places or search for it quicker. This can obviously introduce confusion and duplicate files all over the place, but I would like to see where this idea goes.

I remember 15 years back how SGI had icons that had multiple states. The "open" state and "closed" state were dramatically different, so that from the desktop you could see that status of the application or file.

General areas for improvement are usability, speed, reliability, interoperability and added functionality.

In terms of usability, the problems that people have today is in finding stuff, despite spotlight. Wouldn't it be great if your computer kept track of not only all of the data that is currently there and on your server, but also all of the files that you have ever seen? It could then keep track of where it was last seen (or when it was deleted). Also, I am thrilled to see that icons have gotten larger and have some previews. This needs to be taken further. Let's fill the gap between icon and open application by allow us to zoom, zoom and further zoom in on any document until it is "open". Now we are stuck with either an icon or the open document. It would be great to have all of the steps in between.

Speed. I will leave it up to the technical gurus here to suggest ways that the finder could be sped up, but as a user we want to have the computer instantly turn on (like a radio), we want documents to instantly open and we don't want to wait for file transfers. You tell me. How can these tasks be sped up?

Reliability. I think that reliability is improving dramatically with Time Machine. Perhaps there is more to the ideas around backup that Apple hasn't revealed.

Interoperability. Boot Camp goes quite a ways here. I was hoping for a virtual machine, but Apple has publicly said that they won't persue that approach. But, it would be great if we could easily switch back and forth between OS X and Windows applications to work on a project. I would love to use Photoshop in OS X and then move to Homesite in Windows and then back again... all on the same machine, just by switching windows. I don't think that we will see this.

Added functionality. I mentioned this somewhere else, but I would love to see something like Dashcode for developing screen savers. Although, they need to add some nice 3D tools. How hard would it be for Apple to make a simple tool that allows anyone to make an Aquarium like screensaver in a few minutes?

So many comments have been added around the topic of metadata. I can see this as being really strong. Particularly if you consider the metadata that you could add to MP3 data. Not only the attributes of artist, year, etc. would be included, but it could also include info about what collection it was a part of and how often you listened to it. That way as you transfer your files between your various computers, all of that data that is trapped in iTunes will move into the file. Similarly with images iPhoto. I love the application, but moving my pictures between computers is a real hassle. Let's embed much of the data that is in iPhoto into the metadata of the actual file.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler McAdams
Has nobody said anything about LVM hooks yet? Talk about something NEEDED. Since OS X is going to disk intensive niches OS X needs LVM raid capabilities. Especially something along the lines of XFS and it's GRIO support. Something like CXFS for XSAN as well.
I really like the idea of having robust RAID capabilities built into the OS in a user friendly manner. This could really add reliability and performance to any system. Hard drives are so cheap these days, that it makes sense even for an iMac to have 2-3 hard drives.

Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by furrylogic
Speed. I will leave it up to the technical gurus here to suggest ways that the finder could be sped up, but as a user we want to have the computer instantly turn on (like a radio), we want documents to instantly open and we don't want to wait for file transfers. You tell me. How can these tasks be sped up?
Easy. Remove features. The less your computer does for you, and the less safely it does it, the faster it can do it.

More usefully:

1) Yell at your government, your isp, your phone/cable company about improving the communications situation, particularly if you're in the US. We're way behind some of the smaller countries in net speed now. Suppoting net neutrality will also help.

2) Flash memory caches for commonly used data; Intel is working on this.

3) Solid state storage. Expect to pay a lot for this, at least in the near future.

4) Run a RAID. Again, somewhat expensive, and you'll want to keep good backups.

5) Buy a faster computer. Mac Pros are pretty damn snappy.

6) FTFF. I wrote a file browser fairly close to as fast as the Finder, using a freely available icon view class, and with the knowledge of data structures and file apis that I had ~3 years ago (aka I sucked pretty badly). I'm convinced that there are ways of speeding it up, or AT THE VERY LEAST making it not beachball while it lags.

7) Improve the filesystem and file access APIs. As of 10.3, only one task could do io at the same time (kernel funnels), which was a pretty nasty bottleneck. I bet there are more of these around...

-- speed improvements that don't apply as directly to the tasks you mentioned --

8) Improved parallel programming tools. Someday Google's MapReduce will be able to be applied usefully to a single computer, and by that point today's tools will be utterly inadequate for high performance programs. This won't help boot times or app launch times much, but it'll make non-drive-limited stuff go faster.

9) Improve the language/compiler. Cocoa's NSEnumerator is pretty slow compared to its replacement, for example. Another example would be -fobjc-direct-dispatch in 10.4. These sort of changes generally don't buy you much in the way of speed, but they help everything out a tiny bit.

10) Use the GPU more. See QuartzGL, CoreAnimation, CoreImage, etc...

11) Build better optimization tools. See Shark and Xray for examples.

12) Spend more time optimizing. When you're in a hurry to write new features, you generally don't go over it with a fine toothed comb^w Shark looking for places that aren't as fast as they could be. An example in Adium would be the patch I have lying around to cache contact list gradient images (nice 2x+ speed boost on gradient list drawing) that still has some bugs I haven't had time to figure out, so it's not included in the main code yet.

13) Make the API handle more tasks for programmers. for( in ) is an example of this as well... it's a relatively simple case of loop unrolling to get the speed improvement it provides, but it's wrapped up in a nice way that makes it *easier* to use instead of harder.

14) Make the API smarter about how it handles stuff it already does. Example: text layout has improved greatly in speed in 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 through various clever techniques (one of which introduced a bug with exotic font handling in 10.4... ).

Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I can see them adding small things like grid spacing only later to gut the way finder windows look and act.

I agree, there are a few little things that are improved with the finder, but nothing to write home about. I think WWDC was early build finder version and things must have improved since then.

They are not swapping it out the Finder no matter what people say.

I just think a few more spotlight/views/networking refinements and hopefully an updated system theme (those icons are looking old).

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by furrylogic
Added functionality. I mentioned this somewhere else, but I would love to see something like Dashcode for developing screen savers. Although, they need to add some nice 3D tools. How hard would it be for Apple to make a simple tool that allows anyone to make an Aquarium like screensaver in a few minutes?
Already done, check Quartz Composer out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules