Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Migrating from PPC to Intel - checklist

Migrating from PPC to Intel - checklist
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 02:07 AM

I did research about migrating from PPC and Intel and could not find a clear solution, that others wouldn't call incorrect or not working.

So I am trying to put together a checklist of what to do, and what to avoid.

My list so far contains the following, and please refer to errors.

1. One can use the migration assistant for PPC to Intel...

except:

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Third party drivers, preference panes and haxies that are PPC-only will cause some trouble. Remove these before using Migration Assistant.
Question: what is a third party preference pane? Would it be the preferences section of, say, Final Draft 6?

What are third party haxies, that have to be removed before migrating?

Third party drivers, like gimp print printer drivers, should be removed, too then? How do I know there aren't somewhere third party drivers sitting, downloaded long ago, and forgotten?

2. PPC only applications cannot be migrated, but have to be reinstalled.

Is this true?

But doesn't the migration assistant exactly that?

3. Universal Binary software. Adobe Lightroom 1.2.

I went to the apple store, and talked to somebody at the "genius bar". He said that you can't just pulls applications from one computer to another, especially Adobe's, as they have some kind of secret files.

Now, doesn't the migration assistant do exactly that?

It's no problem to reinstall Lightroom 1.0 and upgrade again to 1.2.

4. Someone mentioned, google research, that one should not copy the "libraries", or emtpy the "library cache".

Any comments about this?

---

Different proposal from the genius bar: just pull files manually from one computer to the other.

And reinstall all the software.

Problem: Adobe Lightroom's catalogues might have files in locations i don't know of, and then I'm ending up with a dead catalogue.

---

Now, what would be the most practical way to do it without slowing down your new machine or speeding up in hysteria yourself?

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2007, 03:17 AM

Use the migration assistant to migrate your user accounts. That should work pretty much flawlessly.

I wouldn't suggest using the migration assistant to migrate your applications. Most should work (and even PPC applications will run), but some might break when using the migration assistant. Adobe's probably will break since they install required stuff all over the system. I suggest you reinstall all your third party programs and try to find the Universal versions/updates at this opportunity.

PPC drivers wouldn't cause any problems by the way. They just won't run on an Intel machine. You will have to find the Universal versions of third party drivers and stuff like Flip4Mac and Perian and install those.

Preference panes are the icons you see in "System Preferences". The aforementioned Flip4Mac and Perian install extra ones there for example. It has nothing to do with application preferences (which should travel just fine from PPC to Intel).

Just don't overthink it. Your transition will work out just fine.

Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post

I wouldn't suggest using the migration assistant to migrate your applications. Most should work (and even PPC applications will run), but some might break when using the migration assistant. Adobe's probably will break since they install required stuff all over the system. I suggest you reinstall all your third party programs and try to find the Universal versions/updates at this opportunity.
Yes, Adobe applications install files all over the system, like presets in a special presets folder.

I just wonder how I get my catalogues across, and all those "history" lists (every step you do to alter an image in Lightroom is noted in the history list).

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2007, 03:56 AM

I'm not a user of Lightroom, but I would assume all of that is in your home folder (unless you specified a location outside of it), so if you migrate your accounts with migration assistant everything will be copied across.

Sep 29, 2007, 04:48 AM

1. Get a FireWire cable and use Migration Assistant.
2. Transfer your user account this way. Applications don't necessarily need to be transferred, usually there are at least updates available. Make sure that all the software (e. g. VLC) is either a Universal Binary or an Intel binary.

However, the claim that PPC apps have to be reinstalled is wrong. It's got nothing to do with them being PPC or not, some apps just scatter stuff around and not all of it is copied when using Migration Assistant. 90 % of the software works fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2007, 10:03 AM

I just copy everything over, haven't had an issue yet.
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 24" LED Cinema Display, 8 GB iPod Touch 2G
adamfishercox.com

Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 10:13 AM

Use Migration Assistant to move everything over, but make sure to update all drivers you've installed for third-party devices (printers, scanners, Logitech mouse stuff) FIRST THING after migrating.

Third-party preference panes are those non-Apple bits that show up in the System Preferences at the bottom under "Other".

Uninstall any Unsanity software ("Haxies").

Don't worry about anything else. Either it will work, or not. If stuff doesn't (unlikely), re-install it.

You might want to look around for Universal or Intel-native versions of software applications you've installed, but it shouldn't be a show-stopper problem if you don't or take your time..

Sep 29, 2007, 11:34 AM

I recently found an updated Brother MFC driver that said it was for the TWAIN scanner driver. Installed it, and it updated *all* my MFC device's drivers to Intel from PPC. Sweet! The only PPC processes I have left are from MS Office.

Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 11:47 PM

Thanks, everybody!

So I'll simply use the migration assistant.

I'll just copy my old harddrive on my external hd using SuperDuper, just in case.

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Use Migration Assistant to move everything over, but make sure to update all drivers you've installed for third-party devices (printers, scanners, Logitech mouse stuff) FIRST THING after migrating.

Third-party preference panes are those non-Apple bits that show up in the System Preferences at the bottom under "Other".

Uninstall any Unsanity software ("Haxies").

Don't worry about anything else. Either it will work, or not. If stuff doesn't (unlikely), re-install it.

You might want to look around for Universal or Intel-native versions of software applications you've installed, but it shouldn't be a show-stopper problem if you don't or take your time..
I googled unsanity software and found out I never installed anything like it.

There is no "other" in my preference pane, I never installed any third party's preferences there, so I possibly have no third party preference pane.

The reason why I was quite nervous about this were reports of sluggish system performance after the migration.

But I see now that with these three step-checklist 1. remove haxies 2. remove third party preference panes 3. check drivers after migration is good to know before you do it.

So, Final Cut Studio 5.0 (PPC) should not cause any trouble moving to the other Mac...

-----

Generally speaking: can you check if your system is working at the speed it is designed working at? And if it isn't, how do you analyze that? DiscWarrior? "Spring Cleaning" to remove leftovers of files and software applications that can bog down a system?

Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2007, 06:55 AM

I haven't bothered with any of that stuff in *years*.

The sluggish system performance after migration is usually taken care of when drivers are updated.

Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2007, 07:42 AM

MA works very well - even when going from PPC to Intel and you know what you're doing. The few exceptions unfortunately also include Apple software: MA breaks Apple's very own iWork and you'll need to reinstall. Yep, that's Apple pulling off a Microsoft, pretty embarrassing.

Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2007, 10:18 AM

Migration Assistant doesn't always work completely, but I also recommend it for someone moving to a Mactel.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2007, 11:13 AM

Some programs as Photoshop and Quark should be de-registered while on the internet. Then after MA you can re-register them on the new computer and they should work fine. It is possible that you may need to reinstall to be sure you have the universal binary versions. I do not know how to tell if that is needed. In any case all programs should work. Only Haxies need to be reinstalled.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2007, 01:53 PM

I did Migration Assistant from PPC to Intel and it worked beautifully.

Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
So, Final Cut Studio 5.0 (PPC) should not cause any trouble moving to the other Mac...
Final Cut Studio 5 will not run well at all on an Intel Mac. I suggest upgrading to a newer version of Final Cut.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I did Migration Assistant from PPC to Intel and it worked beautifully.
Same here! I went from a G4 iMac to a new Intel iMac and everything went fine. I didn't migrate applications though: I had too many PPC-only apps and wanted to start "clean". I also made sure to uninstall PPC-only preference panes and screensavers.

Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Final Cut Studio 5 will not run at all on an Intel Mac. I suggest upgrading to a newer version of Final Cut.
Fixed.

Yes. You needed to upgrade to 5.1, which can no longer be done. Your only option is to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2.
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Oct 1, 2007 at 01:20 AM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 01:11 AM

Yes, I'm aware of that problem.

At the Apple store, they said it would run, but not fast. I specifically asked the person at the genius bar if it would be unstable, and he said, no, it would not.

But possibly some of you have contrary experiences.

Well, I'll see how it goes for a while...

After all, Final Cut Studio 2 is in the crosshairs of my purchase wishes...

Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 01:21 AM

If I recall correctly. Final Cut Pro would work - sort of. Motion would definitely NOT run at all.

Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 02:33 AM

At the Apple store, they said it would run, but not fast. I specifically asked the person at the genius bar if it would be unstable, and he said, no, it would not.
It will run so slow it will not be usable. It will also not run on brand new Intel machines (it doesn't recognize the graphics card in a lot of them). You need to upgrade before you move over, especially if you do video editing for a living.

I know people with Final Cut Pro 5 and an Intel machine and it simply would not run at all.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 02:57 AM

Shocked to hear that.

But one cannot fight facts.

Guess I'll have to do something earlier than I planned about my editing software (just bought Adobe's creative suite web premium, and I'm still panting...).

Is it easy to de-install Final Cut Studio? (I'll just do that before actually migrating) Just drag the app into the trash (and flush), or will I have problems with leftover files?

Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 03:00 AM

Is it easy to de-install Final Cut Studio? (I'll just do that before actually migrating) Just drag the app into the trash (and flush), or will I have problems with leftover files?
Install the upgrade on your old machine before you migrate, or migrate and then install the update. Just don't plan on using Final Cut 5 on your new machine.

Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 03:11 AM

Yeah. Once it's installed it's no big deal. No need to deinstall it. The upgrade will do just that - upgrade. You can do it before or after migration with no big hassle.

Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 03:16 AM

For the record, Apple's web site has this to say:

"Pro applications from Apple — including Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Shake and Final Cut Express — are not supported by Rosetta."

Apple - Rosetta

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2007, 10:41 PM

The best advice I have is to avoid copying old programs over and avoid ALL PPC apps. That means Office 2004, PhotoShop CS2 and all other CS2 apps. These will run in emulation mode- Rosetta and they are resource hogs. They can ramp up your processors to full bore without hardly any provocation. Neo Office is a free and useful tool for those who need to read and write MS Office files and it is Universal (runs natively on Intel). Install apps from the original disks. On certain apps like PhotoShop CS3, you may need to Deactivate the version on your old computer first. You are limited to two copies on your personal computers. For example your desktop and your notebook computer.

If you have a scanner or printer that does not have Universal drivers, it may be worthwhile to purchase one that does rather than try to get the old one working. Old scanners are not worth the trouble. Most new printers, scanners and multifunction printer/scanners have drivers that are Universal. If you do use Migration Assistant and notice the computer is sluggish or the fans are running full blast, open the Activity Monitor to see if something may be running in the background that is causing the sluggishness. It may be an old PPC start-up item.

If you must run MS Office or CS2, you should have at least 2 gigs of ram installed for it to run comfortably.

Baninated
Oct 2, 2007, 10:57 PM

Dang... no Intel machine for me for awhile.

Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 12:58 AM

MS Office wasn't too bad, but I've switched over to iWork.

Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 04:20 AM

I have MS Office 2004 on my 2.4 GHz MBP. It runs ok (apart form acting like MS Office that is) once you have 2 GB or more RAM .

Obviously iWork runs a lot faster and is much nicer. That said, NeoOffice (Aqua) and OpenOffice (X11) are both Intel native and run just as fast as MS Office through Rosetta. They're both free, too. I definitely won't be getting a new MS Office license with free alternatives like these.

Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2007, 04:25 AM

I actually searched the web for the Final Cut Pro 5 problem.

I found the statement:" Final Cut Pro 5 is running on an Intel through Rosetta, but not supported". What does this mean? The article (Sorry, I'm a quite busy at the moment, couldn't find the source to give you a link) said, that everything would run, minus a few filters or effects.

Anyway, Final Cut Studio 2 will be it, not right now, but rather soon.

Oct 3, 2007, 06:00 AM

The meaning is quite simple: don't, just don't run a video editing suite via emulation! Trust me, it's not worth it. You'll need about twice as much memory (and hence hit the 4 GB ceiling soon).

You should try and get as many native apps as you can. It's less important for smaller apps.

Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 06:09 AM

Microsoft Word runs a LOT better if you TURN OFF the ****ing active "check grammar in background" default setting.

Go figure. It's Microsoft.

Senior User
Oct 3, 2007, 06:27 AM

Errr, I believe I'm running a native version of FCP (5.1) on my MacBook with no issues?!

Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Errr, I believe I'm running a native version of FCP (5.1) on my MacBook with no issues?!
Yes. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.

5.1 upgrade/crossgrade from 5 is no longer available.

Senior User
Oct 3, 2007, 06:57 AM

How come? I have the installer files stored as a backup somewhere if anyone needs them? (Will depend on whether my serials transfer across, but I belive it was a version independant update?)

Oh and sorry for the skim reading!

Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 02:13 PM

I actually searched the web for the Final Cut Pro 5 problem.

I found the statement:" Final Cut Pro 5 is running on an Intel through Rosetta, but not supported". What does this mean? The article (Sorry, I'm a quite busy at the moment, couldn't find the source to give you a link) said, that everything would run, minus a few filters or effects.

Anyway, Final Cut Studio 2 will be it, not right now, but rather soon.
As I said, I know people who have Final Cut 5 and an Intel and it doesn't run. The conversation normally goes like this:

Them: "I'm trying to run Final Cut Pro on my Macbook Pro and it says I don't have an AGP graphics card and it won't start."
Me: "What version of Final Cut Pro do you have?"
Them: "5.0. A friend gave me his copy he wasn't using anymore."
Me: "DON'T RUN FCP5 ON AN INTEL MAC."

Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
How come? I have the installer files stored as a backup somewhere if anyone needs them? (Will depend on whether my serials transfer across, but I belive it was a version independant update?)

Oh and sorry for the skim reading!
I can't remember if you needed new serials for the crossgrade. But yes, that offer expired shortly before FCS2 was announced.

With the exception of Soundtrack Pro 2, all the applications benefited from the upgrade though. Motion 3 rocks my socks.

Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The meaning is quite simple: don't, just don't run a video editing suite via emulation! Trust me, it's not worth it. You'll need about twice as much memory (and hence hit the 4 GB ceiling soon).

You should try and get as many native apps as you can. It's less important for smaller apps.
Good bye, Studio 5, then.

I guess the only PPC app that I still have is Microsoft word, but I'll get the intel native Word 2008 as soon as it is out.

I know, there are lots of free suites, but I actually like it. It doesn't look Microsoft at all, but very Mac.

Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 01:57 AM

Microsoft Word runs a LOT better if you TURN OFF the ****ing active "check grammar in background" default setting.

Me, too, I run a lot better when I turn off the effing "check grammar" thing. And even more, the double effing autocorrect spelling torture device.

Gives you a clean screen appearance, too.

Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2007, 01:09 PM

Also turn off Live Word Count.

Personally I just use WriteRoom for word processing.

Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Also turn off Live Word Count.

Personally I just use WriteRoom for word processing.
Didn't know that one. Is it new?

My Final Draft 6 is also PPC (and it's bad enough in its original environment). No way I upgrade to Final Draft 7, that buggy piece of junk.

How's writeroom doing it with the formatting?

The ONE great thing about Final Draft is the Control 1, control 2 etc. change of the format, and the recognition of character names.

Thinking of doing it with macros and word (or Pages, if pages allows macros).

Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2007, 09:41 PM

I finally did the migration, and the data transferred without problem.

But now this: something else also transferred without problem. I added up my files and applications, and found out, I could not account for a lot of Gigabytes missing. What the frog did take up all that space?

Before I migrated, on the G5 iMac, all three previous systems folders (about 50gb of data), but I guess, every archive & install creates useless files, and they are all migrating over.

So I decided to do the process again, and only manually drag my home folder over via Firewire, the old mac set to target disc mode, and reinstall the applications from the discs.

The risk of the migration assistant is, so I found out, not the corruption of data during the transfer, but the baggage you are transferring from past system trouble. As this was PPC system trouble, I don't want to even think about how that could slow my new system down.

So, lesson learned. You look out for trouble, and prepare (corrupted files, etc.), but the real issues sat elsewhere.

What I have learned is, that OX X is much better than you know when you are just using it. I think the whole system with home folders, that include all settings in browsers, all passwords, all files and databases and catalogues, and can be moved by hand is truly great organization.

This is why the migration assistant isn't quite that necessary.

As your computer psychologist will recommend giving your new system a fresh start, not moving past memories of trouble into the mind and memory of your new computer. Only this will secure a truly joyful performance.

Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 09:49 PM

yeah, I think the best thing to do is if you can handle setting up some settings over again, just manually drag over your home folder and leave all the system folders on your old mac there. That way you can have all your files plus a fresh new system.
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 24" LED Cinema Display, 8 GB iPod Touch 2G
adamfishercox.com

Oct 8, 2007, 02:54 AM

Cached files and virtual memory files (which eventually eat up a lot of disk space) may account for the difference. It's not really necessary to move by hand, I'm using a system account I created on OS X 10.0.3 (well, essentially, I migrated through all reincarnations of OS X)!

Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2007, 03:52 AM

That's right. I've seen my /private/var/vm grow up to 4 GB in size. And of course /System/Library/Cache/, /Library/Cache/, and the various ~/Library/Cache/ can become very big. You can simply delete them before you run MA (if you're concerned about transfer time) or after if you're concerned about space and migrating old junk.

Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2007, 01:31 PM

This has been a very helpful thread. Is there anything similar with advice for people in this position who are wrestling with the Parallels/BootCamp decision? I'm totally out of the loop on this.

Oct 10, 2007, 01:58 PM

I use both Boot Camp and VMware Fusion. Boot Camp if I need the extra horsepower or the total Windows experience; Fusion if I'm just working within Windows for a short period.

Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I use both Boot Camp and VMware Fusion. Boot Camp if I need the extra horsepower or the total Windows experience; Fusion if I'm just working within Windows for a short period.
Same here. VMWare is great just for running a little utility, but booting into Windows is best for gaming.

Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2007, 07:45 AM

Isn't BootCamp on the verge of expiration? I don't plan to move to Leopard until it's well-established as stable and worthwhile.

Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2007, 11:02 AM

Your bootcamp partition will continue working even if boot camp utility expires

The drivers themselves will continue to work.

Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2007, 12:39 PM

You don't actually need Boot Camp to install and run Windows. All Boot Camp does it is create a partition for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules