Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Really odd mouse issue with Leopard on MBP

Really odd mouse issue with Leopard on MBP
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2007, 09:24 AM

Ok, so this is a very odd issue that I have never seen or heard of before. Also, keep in mind this is happening with just the mouse pad, or a USB mouse.

I re-installed the OS on my laptop the other day and it's now been a few days and I have this issue with the mouse when I'm using just about any program on the laptop where I can not do anything at the bottom part of a window. For example, when in a web browser, no matter which browser, and no matter what size I make the browser, I can not do anything in the bottom area of the window. If there are links in the area, they will not activate. I can drag the mouse around, but that's it. If i scroll the page down and move the same links that appeared dead out of that area, then they will work.

I took a snapshot of this to show the area in a web page that this is happening, but when I opened Photoshop as well in preview, if I zoomed into the picture, I can drag up and down, but can not go horizontal as the horizontal bar is in the bottom part of the window.

I have also restarted this computer a number of times, run disk and permissions repair and still does it.

Has anyone heard of this before. Just seems so odd.

I will try and do a video screen capture to show.

Thanks,

Senior User
Nov 27, 2007, 04:15 PM

I wonder if this is related to the Leopard problem with unresponsive trackpad and keyboards.
27" iMac C2D

Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 04:30 PM

I know that my pointer will zoom to a screen corner at random times, no big deal, but still annoying.
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 24" LED Cinema Display, 8 GB iPod Touch 2G
adamfishercox.com

Senior User
Nov 27, 2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I know that my pointer will zoom to a screen corner at random times, no big deal, but still annoying.
I have had that problem before but I think it was just because the surface that a laser mouse was being used on wasn't well suited for it.
27" iMac C2D

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2007, 09:29 AM

you said "this is happening with just the mouse pad, or a USB mouse." Do you mean it is happening with both or that it happens only with the mouse pad?

Did you use a utility to choose a silly mouse icon? What happens if you use a lower screen resolution? Perhaps you could try deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. That controls what the computer does when you approach the dock, and maybe it gets confused when it tries to activate the dock. You could also try moving the dock to the side and see what happens.
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules