Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Strange maintenance scripts behavior

Strange maintenance scripts behavior
Nov 28, 2007, 06:10 PM

Hi,

I used MainMenu to run the maintenance scripts and got the following errors:

Running weekly maintenance scripts

Wed Nov 28 17:36:15 EST 2007

Rebuilding locate database...

Rebuilding whatis database...
find: /usr/local/man: No such file or directory

Rotating log files:
Wed Nov 28 17:36:24 EST 2007

Maintenance scripts complete

Running monthly maintenance scripts

Wed Nov 28 17:37:59 EST 2007

Doing login accounting:
sort: open failed: +1: No such file or directory

Rotating log files:
chmod: /var/log/wtmp: No such file or directory
Wed Nov 28 17:38:00 EST 2007

Maintenance scripts complete
As far as the "/usr/local/man" goes, it should be AEM (this would be the admin account user as shown in Mac HD -> places).

The same happened when using Tiger (after doing a migration from my older iMac) and Leopard was installed using the A&I method.

Thanks,
Gene

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 02:02 AM

Exactly the same problem here!

What can be done to fix the problem?
( Last edited by fzelders; Nov 30, 2007 at 01:40 PM. )

Nov 30, 2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by fzelders View Post
Exactly the same problem here!

What can be done to fix the problem?
Someone else reported that same problem on another forum, both with MainMenu and MacJanitor (when using Tiger).

I know the scripts run between 3 and 5:30 AM but I shut my computer off at night, any other way to make these scripts work (via Console, etc.)?

Gene

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2007, 12:25 AM

The error ...

"find: /usr/local/man: No such file or directory"

is harmless and always appears in the weekly script log. Your "locate" and "find" commands will work properly and you can ignore it. That "error" has been appearing in my iMac G5 (PPC) and MacBook Pro (C2D, Intel) weekly logs since they were freshly brand new.

The login accounting error means you won't see a listing in the monthly log file that shows what users logged in and for how long. And the wtmp error means that the script could not find wtmp in the /var/log directory. wtmp keeps track of users and their logins, so it's related to the login accounting error. Have you deleted that file?

The only true error you are seeing here has to do with the login accounting file wtmp (or the fact that it apparently isn't in your system where it belongs). Nonetheless, I doubt this is a serious problem. But it might be indicative of you or someone else moving or deleting files that might be best left alone.

Dec 3, 2007, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the great explanation.

Gene

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by gemigene View Post
I know the scripts run between 3 and 5:30 AM but I shut my computer off at night, any other way to make these scripts work (via Console, etc.)?

Gene
Gene,

When you install and use Mainmenu (free app) you can start the maintenance script anytime you want to.
Mainmenu (with tons of feautres) can be downloaded here: Santa Software | MainMenu

Fred

Forum Links
Forum Rules