Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Main Window closes; won't come back - Leopard

Main Window closes; won't come back - Leopard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 07:55 AM

I upgraded my iBook G4, 1.25GHZ to Leopard last weekend. It has 768 RAM and it was horribly slow and it was killing me. While waiting for the new Mac Pro's to be released I bought the 1 GB stick of RAM for it so it now has 1.25GB. The problem though is about 15 minutes after having the computer on, if NetNewsWire, Mailplane, or PandoraJam are open then their main window closes(it can happen in the background). Once they close they won't come back. The applications are still shown to be going ok and they are still open but no matter what I do the window won't come back unless I restart the computer.

Anyone know about this? Its killing me. BonEcho, Yojimbo, iTunes, and Word aren't affected at alll. There is not any set time that the windows just close and won't come back. I can be working in word or Bonecho and they just close.

Thanks,

zachary

Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 08:26 AM

I'm not sure if I really understand what you are talking about...but since I have seen it on my own computer as well already could it possibly be that those windows switch to another spaces area by themselfes?

Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by zacharykrannert View Post
I upgraded my iBook G4, 1.25GHZ to Leopard last weekend. It has 768 RAM and it was horribly slow and it was killing me. While waiting for the new Mac Pro's to be released I bought the 1 GB stick of RAM for it so it now has 1.25GB. The problem though is about 15 minutes after having the computer on, if NetNewsWire, Mailplane, or PandoraJam are open then their main window closes(it can happen in the background). Once they close they won't come back. The applications are still shown to be going ok and they are still open but no matter what I do the window won't come back unless I restart the computer.

Anyone know about this? Its killing me. BonEcho, Yojimbo, iTunes, and Word aren't affected at alll. There is not any set time that the windows just close and won't come back. I can be working in word or Bonecho and they just close.

Thanks,

zachary
Do you mean the app crashes?
Signature depreciated.

Nov 29, 2007, 08:56 AM

Check the RAM with one of the standard tools, e. g. with the Apple Hardware Test (put in your Leopard DVD, reboot and press D).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

GUI Punk
Nov 29, 2007, 10:55 AM

Don't know if its related but I have an iMac and an iBook and I was using .mac sync to keep them synched and after every sync neither computer would display windows anymore unless I restarted. I could choose to minimize from the menu or key combo and there would be the app window minimized to dock but it wouldn't show fullsize. I fixed this by telling both computers to not sync prefs.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 06:39 PM

the app really doesnt crash. the windows just dissappear. I checked my .mac settings and the prefs werent being synced. I checked the RAM and its good. It only started happening once I upgraded to leopard. It only happens on mailplane, nnw, and pandorajam. itunes, adium, bon echo still work fine. its really wierd. I have never seen anything like it. with mailplane the main window goes away but I can still get the media window to come up. the menu bar at the top still switches to the application selected in the dock. butnothing ever comes up window wise for it.

Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 07:44 PM

Sounds to me like it may be a Spaces bug.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 10:00 PM

spaces is disabled.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 10:13 PM

right after I made that post. I went to spaces in the system preferences. spaces was disabled as i said. I decided what the hell, I will give spaces another try. I turned it on. went to the grand view of things. and there were all my programs in another space. turned spaces back off. and those windows were again unviewable.

thats a leopard bug.

and thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out!

Zachary

Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 10:54 PM

I've run into a similar problem, but I at least got the visual context that the programs were being moved to a different space. For some reason, Spaces was being triggered even though it was disabled. I've had to remove the trigger keys altogether and I've been fine since. I'm not sure if my keyboard is somehow sending those keys without me actually invoking them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules