Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > FW HDs not allowing backups b/c of .DS_Store files?

FW HDs not allowing backups b/c of .DS_Store files?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2008, 03:26 PM

Irritating Message: "Operation cannot be completed because an item with the name ".DS_Store" already exists."

Hey, Everyone. I've searched here and the Google at large to no avail. My apologies if I've missed a key thread:

I have two Lacie 250 GB firewire drives linked to one another connected to my computer. I store working files on "A", and "B" is my backup of all of those files. I work in Logic every day, so for the example, let's say I've recorded a session of "Good Vibrations". I work on Good Vibrations from the A drive, then, at the end of day, I back up my work onto B. So, at the end of day, I have two matching session folders on A and B of Good Vibrations.

The next day, I work on Good Vibrations, maybe add some harmonies, working all day from HD A, then, at the end of the day, I go to overwrite Good Vibrations onto HD B with the new session files. Then I get to the problem.

When I try to backup from A to B in the above-described manner, I get a message saying "Operation cannot be completed because an item with the name ".DS_Store" already exists." There is no error number.

What I CAN do is use Onyx to remove all .DS_Store files, then I can overwrite as much as I want, but only for a few minutes. After that, the hard drives go back into rebellion mode.

Here's my system and what I've checked/done:

10.5.2, 2.2 GHz Intel MacBook
I've ran disk utility and fixed permissions/verified/repaired both HDs.
I checked that the HDs are set to ignore ownership.
It only happens with transfers over 1GB.
As I said, Onyx makes it possible to overwrite whatever I want.
If I delete the entire Good Vibrations folder from B and try to rewrite from A, it still gives me the irritating message. Only Onyx does the trick.

Now, I can certainly keep using Onyx every day, but it's a drag to have to go through that process on both HDs just to do a daily backup.

Any knowledge? Thanks!
Can you still feel?

May 30, 2008, 04:51 PM

What are you using for the backup from A to B? If it's just drag and drop and you are getting that error, something else is wrong. How are the drives formatted and partitioned?

.DS_store files should not affect simply copies, especially between Mac formatted (HFS+) drives.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

sae_  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2008, 05:49 PM

Yeah, just drag and drop. The two drives are just daisy-chained from my Firewire port.

The drives are not partitioned, and they're both HFS+. I'm the original owner of both, and they're around a year old. It's really odd. It's as if the .DS_Store files are set to not allow overwriting, which doesn't make any sense, so I suppose that's not the case.

Being that there's not an actual error code makes it hard to troubleshoot.

I'll keep researching and post if I come across anything. Thanks!
Can you still feel?

Forum Links
Forum Rules