Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > 10.5 reinstalation problem

10.5 reinstalation problem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2008, 09:15 AM

This is seriously anoying!

My friends G4 PowerMac running 10.5 has been playing up and not letting users and route user log in. I formatted the disk inserted the install disk and hit restart. Did the normal hold down c to boot from the disc and then had the select language window pop up. selected English then I am displayed with a meesage reporting that OS X can not be installed on this machine. Which is weird because it has been running 10.5 for 7 months now. Everything used to function normally just a bit slow due to minimum processor and 1 Gb of ram.

I have removed the HD and formatted it and the same message is displayed so i ran Tech Tools which says nothing wrong with the HD.

Does any one know if;
1) My install disc came with my MacBook so is there a chance it does only supports Intel and not PPC?
2) Can I install 10.4 on to the HD if it has previously had 10.5 on it?
3) Any ideas why 10.5 can't be installed on the drive when it used to work fine on the machine until a couple of weeks ago?

Snacky

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2008, 09:17 AM

If the disk is from a MacBook I wouldn't expect it to work on a G4. Yes, you can install 10.4 instead.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2008, 09:50 AM

Hi Big Mac,

Well i have tried to install from my 10.4 disc and still have the message pop up saying

"alert"
This software cannot be installed on this computer

The only options I am given are to restart or start from start up disc, I was hoping to be able format the disc with disc utilities but that's not an option.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Snacky

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2008, 09:51 AM

Disk Utility doesn't even want to touch the disk?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 10:08 AM

Start up from the DVD, then erase the hard drive using Disk Utility (in the File or Tools menu I think). You can't erase the hard drive while booted from it.

Aug 25, 2008, 10:37 AM

If your 10.4 and 10.5 discs came with your MacBook then there's not a hope in the world that they'll install on a G4 because they're tied to the type of computer - your MacBook. I'm surprised the install disc even boots, they must have included both architectures on that disc.

You'll need a retail 10.4 or 10.5 DVD to install them onto the G4.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2008, 07:20 AM

The 10.4 discs come from G4 ibook and G5 Imac. The 10.5 disc is from MacBook. If the 10.5 disc is intel only I should not have been able to boot from the disc and run utilities and format the drive.

Could this explain why i get the same message booting from the 10.4 disc?

I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive and starting afresh as i'm still having no joy with any of the boot DVD's

Snacky

Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 11:55 AM

As seanc said, system restore discs are tied to the type of computer. An iBook disk will only install on an iBook, and so on.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2008, 12:21 PM

Not sure about that as my Ibook 10.4 disc in the past has told me it can be installed on a Imac. However i will try this after work with a retail version of 10.4.

Snacky

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by snackhound View Post
The 10.4 discs come from G4 ibook and G5 Imac. The 10.5 disc is from MacBook. If the 10.5 disc is intel only I should not have been able to boot from the disc and run utilities and format the drive.
I'm not certain, but I think you may be incorrect - I think you can boot from any disc and format / run utils, but only install the os on the machine it came with.

Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 01:09 PM

The only way to get your MacBook 10.5 installed on the PowerMac is to boot the PowerMac into Firewire Target Disk Mode (by holding down the "T" key on startup), and then hooking it up to your MacBook via Firewire, installing from there.

That way, you're installing "ON the MacBook", but onto an "external drive".

Note that the license for the 10.5 that came with your machine still legally ties it to that machine, though, so this is merely an option in a pinch when you're absolutely CERTAIN that the other guy legally owns 10.5 but simply can't get at it at the moment. (just saying)

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The only way to get your MacBook 10.5 installed on the PowerMac is to boot the PowerMac into Firewire Target Disk Mode (by holding down the "T" key on startup), and then hooking it up to your MacBook via Firewire, installing from there.

That way, you're installing "ON the MacBook", but onto an "external drive".

Note that the license for the 10.5 that came with your machine still legally ties it to that machine, though, so this is merely an option in a pinch when you're absolutely CERTAIN that the other guy legally owns 10.5 but simply can't get at it at the moment. (just saying)
NO NO NO! The MacBook version is Intel only, and the PB is PPC.

Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by zombie punk View Post
NO NO NO! The MacBook version is Intel only, and the PB is PPC.
10.5 is universal binary.

Aug 27, 2008, 06:30 PM

10.5 is universal binary.
On a generic Leopard DVD.

I'm not so sure they included the Universal version on the MacBook DVDs, I can't see a reason why they would.

Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
On a generic Leopard DVD.

I'm not so sure they included the Universal version on the MacBook DVDs, I can't see a reason why they would.
It's more work to maintain separate versions, than to just keep one line going and add a .plist of supported models, that's why.

The drop-in CPU upgrade to Leopard that was stuck in the boxes and sold as the 10$ upgrade is definitely universal, at least. I know this, having successfully tested it on a G5.

Aug 27, 2008, 07:17 PM

Well that's fair enough then.
A definitive guide on things like this would be nice, there's too much leeway for someone like me to think something and someone else the other.

Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2008, 11:07 AM

Agreed. OTOH, a definitive guide would facilitate installation of unlicensed software onto older machines, which is of questionable legality at best.

Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2008, 05:32 PM

1. Your Mac is an Intel Mac. If your DVD's came with your Mac they will not work on any Power PC Mac at all! Your friend will either need to use the disks that came with his computer to reinstall whatever operating system it came with, or fork over the money to purchase a "boxed" version of Leopard from the Apple Store.

2. You cannot Downgrade OS X from 10.5 to 10.4 without either reformatting the Hard Disk, or creating a new partition to run it OS 10.4 on. Then you will have to select which partition you want to boot the operation System.

3. OS 10.5 Can be installed on the Drive, but you will more than likely have to reformat it and do a fresh install from a "retail, boxed" copy of Leopard. This is the one you buy online here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MTU5NzExNw

Your copy of Leopard will only work on Intel Macs. Your friend's computer is a completely different architecture than Your mac and a processor that speaks a different language. It would be like His computer can only speak Spanish and your computer Only speaks French. If you put the French DVD into his computer it won't understand it. If you get the Retail Version it has both "Spanish/French" versions aka.. PowerPC and Intel so it works on both computers.
( Last edited by webraider; Aug 30, 2008 at 05:43 PM. )

Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by webraider View Post
1. Your Mac is an Intel Mac. If your DVD's came with your Mac they will not work on any Power PC Mac at all! Your friend will either need to use the disks that came with his computer to reinstall whatever operating system it came with, or fork over the money to purchase a "boxed" version of Leopard from the Apple Store.
Have you tried it?

This was definitely true of 10.4, but AFAIK, Apple doesn't maintain separate builds of 10.5.

Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2008, 09:09 PM

Have you tried it?

This was definitely true of 10.4, but AFAIK, Apple doesn't maintain separate builds of 10.5.
The DVD that came with my Refurbished MacPro is a "Drop in" DVD for a Leopard Instal. I haven't tried it because my particular DVD requires that Mac OS 10.4 be installed before it reformats and installs Leopard.

Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2008, 09:31 PM

Here's a definitive answer. Leopard is Universal. There are no Intel or PowerPC builds. There is only one Leopard.

The reason why Leopard install discs that come with Macs don't work on other models is because there is an entry in the installer's plist that checks for a specific model. Leopard "Drop In" DVDs have an entry in the plist to check for 10.4.
Vandelay Industries

Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by snackhound View Post
Does any one know if;
1) My install disc came with my MacBook so is there a chance it does only supports Intel and not PPC?
2) Can I install 10.4 on to the HD if it has previously had 10.5 on it?
3) Any ideas why 10.5 can't be installed on the drive when it used to work fine on the machine until a couple of weeks ago?

Snacky
1) No, it only supports your model of MacBook. There is a check in the Installer that looks at the hardware. It is still a Universal install. You need a retail version of Leopard.
2) Yes, you need to erase the drive before. However, you will need a retail version of Tiger. Bundled Mac install discs have a model check that must be met to allow installation.
3) You're using a bundled install disc and not a retail disc.

You can use a bundled install disc only on the model it shipped with. As has been said previously in this thread, you can use it as long as you boot from the required Mac and connect the G4 via Target Disk Mode.
Vandelay Industries

Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2008, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by webraider View Post
The DVD that came with my Refurbished MacPro is a "Drop in" DVD for a Leopard Instal. I haven't tried it because my particular DVD requires that Mac OS 10.4 be installed before it reformats and installs Leopard.
The "definitive answer" backing me up has now been provided by Art Vandelay (thanks).

I've personally tried installing the "Drop-in CPU upgrade" disks on PowerPC machines, and they installed without a hitch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules