Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > 'Move to Trash' defaults to instant delete. How to disable?

'Move to Trash' defaults to instant delete. How to disable?
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2009, 01:03 PM

New thread as old one was too old !!

Same thing started today on my iMac

(Test copy to delete)

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.ht...or-Empty-49575

Cured it, along with a restart. 3/4 of way down page

Just before, I had restarted in safe mode, then verbose mode, then played with a few downloaded utilities to try and speed up startup, to little avail

I played with appcleaner, appfresh, chipmunk, grandperspective, macdust, macjanitor, omnidisksweeper.

I presume it was one of those, but not sure which one.

Moral, change one thing, then restart, and TEST EVERYTHING !!
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Feb 1, 2009 at 08:13 PM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 02:22 PM

Could be the permissions on your invisible .Trash folder are messed up - unfortunately, the only way I know to fix that is via the Terminal. We could go look at its permissions, figure out what's wrong, and change it, but I prefer just to go the simple route and get rid of the .Trash folder and let the OS rebuild it.

In the Terminal, type:

cd ~ (that's a tilde, created by typing the backtick key that's to the left of the number row while holding down the Shift key. This moves us into your home folder)

mv .Trash trash.bak (this renames the .Trash folder to "trash.bak" so that it will no longer be the trash folder. Notice the period before Trash in the filename)

After you've done this, immediately log out and log back in again. If all goes well, the .Trash folder should be rebuilt, and your Trash should now be working. There should be a folder called "trash.bak" in your home folder - try moving it to the trash and see if it works.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2009, 02:27 PM

Files on network drives are always deleted immediately. Is that the case here?

Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 02:44 PM

I took this thread to read that he solved his own problem following the suggestion in that link to delete the .Trash folder?

Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 02:57 PM

Oh God, the command in that link is terrible. They would have you enter "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash" seriously? This rm -r command has not only a tilde but also a slash in it, meaning that depending on how you do it you could easily erase either your home directory or your entire hard drive and all other attached disks, all with one tiny typo. This is not the kind of thing that users unfamiliar with the Terminal should be instructed to run!

The commands I posted are far safer and will cause no irreversible damage.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MacNNUK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2009, 08:15 PM

Actually I didn't need to go into Terminal in my particular case .....
"Assure you are the Owner and have Access of Read & Write on your Home folder:

1. In Finder, press the Command-Shift-H keyboard combination. A Finder window opens showing the contents of your Home folder.
2. Press the Command+I keyboard combination. The Get Info window for your Home folder opens.
3. Select the Get Info window.
4. Select the disclosure triangle for the Ownership & Permissions panel in the Get Info window.
5. If using Mac OS X 10.3 or later, select the disclosure triangle for the Details panel within the Ownership & Permissions panel.

# If you are not listed as Owner or Access is not Read & Write, then:

1. If the Lock icon next to the Owner pop-up menu appears locked, click it. It should then appear unlocked.
2. Select your account's short name in the Owner pop-up menu.
3. Select Read & Write in the Access pop-up menu immediately below Owner.
4. Type your Admin password if prompted to authenticate.
5. Click the Lock icon again. It should now appear locked.
6. Close the Get Info window.

# See if you can now place objects in the Trash. If so, the problem is solved: stop here. Otherwise, proceed to the next step. "

Was all that I did. Obviously some of the exact wording above did not relate to my particular 10.5.6

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Forum Links
Forum Rules