Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > itunes crash after combined lion update

itunes crash after combined lion update
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2012, 04:08 PM

Hello forum,
I just did the combined updater for lion on my late 2008 MB Pro. It was on the previous version of lion. I ran applejack immediately prior to my update, which I always do... FYI, I have about 20Gb of music. For what its worth, I'm not doing Icloud music.
Since the update, Itunes crashes after about about 1 second of trying to start...its giving me an error dialog box about restoring windows..... I turned it off in preferences & i tried multiple restarts, including safe mode, restoring window dialog box, not restoring window, restarting with airport off (incase this was a genius update problem), running onyx, disk warrior, reinstalling itunes x 2. no luck...I have superduper back up at work, but have not gone to get it yet...
One forum mentioned removing 3 itunes plists. interestingly, I was unable to find these in my preference file...so im either looking in the wrong place or they are gone. I also seen reference to reinstalling older version of itunes. I tried all my apple Joo Joo.... any thoughts?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2012, 04:11 PM

One additional bit o info... when it first starts, it says "checking itunes library" for about one sec, then my usual itunes screen pops up, with "getting genious results" in the top box, then it closes down...

Mar 11, 2012, 04:37 PM

iTunes .plists should be in your user > Library > Preferences folder.
There should be four iTunes plists:
com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist
com.apple.iTunes.Gracenote.plist
com.apple.iTunes.plist
com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist

There could also be an issue with your iTunes Library files. Those are also four of those, located in your Music > iTunes folder.
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb
iTunes Library.itl
iTunes Music Library.xml

Since you say that everything fails when you see a "getting genius results" message, I would suggest trashing the iTunes Library Genius.itdb file first (even before deleting any of the above .plists), then trying to launch iTunes.

How did you re-install iTunes? Did you download the full standalone installer from Apple?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2012, 06:03 PM

I did re install with stand alone installer from apple. Thanks for the tips, I will dig into this a little further this afternoon...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2012, 10:43 PM

there is not a library folder in my user folder- it is at the same level as user folder. is this a problem? Inside library>preferences I found lots of com.apple...plist files but not the four itunes ones. I even did a spotlight search and they were not on the harddrive. The second four itunes files were present. Trashing genius did not help.
I have made some progress...
heres what I did...held down option and started a new library...which bought me some time enough to mess around with itunes prefs...turned everything off dealing with icloud. Interestingly it was still syncing wirelessly with iphone and crashing after 10 seconds. I turned iphone off and I can keep program open. Havent tried to access my other library yet. Interesting that I cant find those plist files...any thoughts?

Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by drmacgadget View Post
I ran applejack immediately prior to my update, which I always do...
You run a troubleshooting software that is incompatible with Lion to avoid problems you weren't having?

Do you have too much time on your hands?

AppleJack 1.6 runs on Snow Leopard. 1.7 will be compatible with Lion eventually, but until it is, I wouldn't touch it.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2012, 03:45 AM

no need to be snarky...I thought apple jack was compatible with lion...I've been using macs for a long time bro. I have never had a problem I couldnt solve until now. I gotta say I'm not a fan of lion. It would have been nice if people had noted that some plists are hidden in lion as well! I finally unhid them and trashed them. No help.

For those who are interested in helping me solve my problem, I was able to create a new library and import my music but not song lists. unless theres an easy way to do this im probably just going to trash the whole folder and reinstall from my last back up. In this event, do i need to trash the plist again?

Forum Links
Forum Rules