Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Trying to learn Terminal/Darwin/BSDUnix

Trying to learn Terminal/Darwin/BSDUnix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2012, 03:04 PM

Neal Parikh's Mac OS X Terminal Basics tutorial suggested coming to this site's Unix forum. All I see is an OSX forum. Is this the right forum and how does one gets started on this. So far it's not easy. I want to use my mac to teach me unix.

Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Hansen View Post
Neal Parikh's Mac OS X Terminal Basics tutorial suggested coming to this site's Unix forum. All I see is an OSX forum. Is this the right forum and how does one gets started on this. So far it's not easy. I want to use my mac to teach me unix.
Is there anything in particular you want to learn? Some particular goal in mind?

P
Nov 6, 2012, 12:14 AM

Hello, and welcome to our forums. We have trimmed the subforums a bit, so the correct place to ask terminal questions is indeed here in the OS X forum. What questions do you have?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2012, 08:42 AM

I want to be able to learn enough about Darwin to find my way around in it, the goal being to get the package of applications and use them. This might include pine, pico, irsii, epic, links, lynx, tin, emac, etc. I understand there are hundreds of apps in the standard package. What I am reading is that Darwin is most similar to FreeBSD, as well as OpenBSD, which are gaining popularity as alternative OS's - I've checked out Ubuntu and don't really care for it. Darwin is already installed on both my macs of different vintages, so rather than getting new OS, I plan to use the ones I already have. Make sense?

Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eric A Hansen View Post
I want to be able to learn enough about Darwin to find my way around in it, the goal being to get the package of applications and use them. This might include pine, pico, irsii, epic, links, lynx, tin, emac, etc. I understand there are hundreds of apps in the standard package. What I am reading is that Darwin is most similar to FreeBSD, as well as OpenBSD, which are gaining popularity as alternative OS's - I've checked out Ubuntu and don't really care for it. Darwin is already installed on both my macs of different vintages, so rather than getting new OS, I plan to use the ones I already have. Make sense?
It kind of makes sense, but I'd say that the greatest uses of Darwin or any Unix system are basically:

- running various services (e.g. Apache/MySQL/PHP, data backup, DNS, Samba, etc.)
- manipulating text with tools like awk, sed, etc.
- using the sorts of applications you have listed in a workflow/toolsy way
- OS troubleshooting (iotop, netstat, lsof, etc.)

I would suggest coming up with a project that forces you to get into this, you'll retain it much better rather than kicking the tires and trying to commit things to memory.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eric A Hansen View Post
This might include pine, pico, irsii, epic, links, lynx, tin, emac, etc. Make sense?
Not really. None of these apps is Darwin specific, you could learn emacs on Windows for example. Nobody puts the knowledge of using these apps on a CV for example.

If you want to learn Unix, setup some virtual machines on your Macs using Parallels or Fusion. Get Open Solaris or Oracle's Linux, learn to stop booting the Window manager, then grab a Unix tutorial and follow it. If you're into programming then I'd learn a shell like korn or bash first and then look into something like Python.

Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post

Not really. None of these apps is Darwin specific, you could learn emacs on Windows for example. Nobody puts the knowledge of using these apps on a CV for example.
If you want to learn Unix, setup some virtual machines on your Macs using Parallels or Fusion. Get Open Solaris or Oracle's Linux, learn to stop booting the Window manager, then grab a Unix tutorial and follow it. If you're into programming then I'd learn a shell like korn or bash first and then look into something like Python.
OpenSolaris doesn't exist anymore.

RedHat Linux/CentOS and Debian might be good OSes to check into too.

Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2012, 01:05 PM

I agree with mattyb on the VM suggestion. Darwin is not all that FreeBSD-like. For example, Apple provides their own partition editor, launchd, different network configuration, no /etc/rc.local, no built-in package management, while FreeBSD provides Ports, ZFS, etc. What you'd gain by delving into Darwin is just general command line experience. For actual projects I'd likely suggest an OS other than OS X depending on what you were interested in.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2012, 03:37 PM

Okay thanks for your replies. This helps me think this through.

Forum Links
Forum Rules