Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Side bar, have to stop using

Side bar, have to stop using (Page 2)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
B, I'm sure at some point years ago, someone on a thread suggested it.
People still keep suggesting it, even though it has been complete placebo (and in fact counter-productive) for almost eight years now.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2013, 02:11 PM

thanks P. So P, B, everyone here concurs, no need for the Cocktail Pilot? ok, I'm done with it! (any need for cocktail ever?)

Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2013, 02:48 PM

thanks P. So P, B, everyone here concurs, no need for the Cocktail Pilot? ok, I'm done with it! (any need for cocktail ever?)

Very, very, very rarely, and on occasions so rare that you probably won't even know you need to run it, and will probably self-correct anyway. IOW, don't worry, just use your computer.

No matter what kind of computer you are on and what operating system you are running, always be skeptical of these sorts of tools, particularly the ones the author wants you to pay for, that supposedly "clean" and make your computer run faster, provides this magical extra security, or whatever it is that they claim.

Apple, Microsoft, and the makers of various Linux/Unix distros are far smarter than some guy that wants to sell you some $19.95 piece of shareware, so it is logical to assume that if there was something that magically made everything run better, it would already be built into the operating system.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2013, 05:01 PM

Ok, I'm bailing on that monthly pilot, and probably wont upgrade unless someone says I should. I guess I was stuck in 2003! (I don't keep up with the trends as much as you guys) thanks again.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2013, 02:10 AM

Have to say this has been one of the most productive jk threads ever! Do we want to cover the magic bullet that is repairing permissions next? Makes you feel better but 99% of the time does a whole lot of f all.

My system maintenance these days is to reboot the computer after about 100 days.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2013, 02:44 PM

thanks Omega! Funny I was almost going to start searching for a new place to post after being scolded by S in the beginning of the thread. I'm a a smart guy, but just a people photographer who knows about 1/100 of what you guys know. Yet for the common man I'd be considered a power user. Thanks for the great tips here as always. I'll hang in here. Hopefully some of my questions spark something....

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2013, 05:13 PM

I'd say back to the original problem, it's a little odd that the aliases in the sidebar are magically changing what location they point to. /Users should always point to the Users folder in the system root. It shouldn't be moving just because there's a cloned drive attached to the machine.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2013, 04:33 PM

UPDATE GUYS.
today I did monthly repair disc on all my hardrives, and boom, all sidebar items I had (about 15) are gone!

Just doing disc utility repair disc, cleared the side bar. WTF?

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 04:55 PM

This gives:

Performing unnecessary maintenance tasks on systems not used in their intended manner results in surprising consequences.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This gives:

Performing unnecessary maintenance tasks on systems not used in their intended manner results in surprising consequences.

I hope this is not meant as an excuse for Apple.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 05:10 PM

I think you would have interpreted anything I could have posted as making excuses for Apple.

No, it was merely pointing out that people have been telling him since about the third post that he's asking for trouble.
Walking down a dark alley flashing large amounts of cash and getting mugged doesn't excuse the muggers or make it a less shitty situation, but you might consider it less than smart, current reality being what it is.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 05:41 PM

I think you would have interpreted anything I could have posted as making excuses for Apple.

No, it was merely pointing out that people have been telling him since about the third post that he's asking for trouble.
Walking down a dark alley flashing large amounts of cash and getting mugged doesn't excuse the muggers or make it a less shitty situation, but you might consider it less than smart, current reality being what it is.

He has been told to stop doing "maintenance" on his computer, and he chose not to take our advice, so yeah, what he did wasn't smart, but the greater scapegoat here is Apple for not replacing a shitty file system and shipping an OS with a tool that doesn't always work to repair issues caused by the shitty file system (which includes data loss) than some guy on the internet who doesn't know whose advice to follow because he is not all that computer savvy.

It sounds like whatever file that tracks the Finder sidebar items was corrupt. Jeff, you shouldn't be worrying about your sidebar, you can just drag stuff back over there, you should be worried about whether you have a backup solution. I don't recall what you're doing about backup, so if you do have a good system in place, I'd just write this off as something that you have to put up with from time to time with running OS X.

But stop doing "maintenance", you've been told over and over and over again to give up on this silly idea, it is a little insulting that you choose to ignore this advice, with a clear included rationale you can investigate on your own if you aren't sure whom to trust. I understand where Spheric is coming from in this regard.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't recall what you're doing about backup, so if you do have a good system in place, I'd just write this off as something that you have to put up with from time to time with running OS X.

But stop doing "maintenance", you've been told over and over and over again to give up on this silly idea, it is a little insulting that you choose to ignore this advice, with a clear included rationale you can investigate on your own if you aren't sure whom to trust. I understand where Spheric is coming from in this regard.
besson, the point here isn't just the "maintenance".

It's that his "backup system" consists of a complete clone of the main hard drive, and then insisting upon leaving that clone connected at all times. This was covered at length in another thread posted at the same time, where he complained that his sidebar items would keep pointing at folders ON THE CLONE, rather than the main drive.

He chose to RE-post another thread about this particular aspect of his issue, for reasons unknown. We've been ripping into him for flat-out refusing to perform the simplest troubleshooting steps, and keep pointing out the real and potentially fatal flaws in his supposed "backup".

See also the very first reply in this thread. It may jog your memory.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 06:02 PM

besson, the point here isn't just the "maintenance".

It's that his "backup system" consists of a complete clone of the main hard drive, and then insisting upon leaving that clone connected at all times. This was covered at length in another thread posted at the same time, where he complained that his sidebar items would keep pointing at folders ON THE CLONE, rather than the main drive.

He chose to RE-post another thread about this particular aspect of his issue, for reasons unknown. We've been ripping into him for flat-out refusing to perform the simplest troubleshooting steps, and keep pointing out the real and potentially fatal flaws in his supposed "backup".

See also the very first reply in this thread. It may jog your memory.

Oh, he's that guy?

Sorry, I have a pretty poor recollection of who says what and when on the internet. Yeah, that backup system is silly.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 06:05 PM

Yeah…in fact, this is "that" thread.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2013, 06:28 PM

thanks Guys.

Actually I did stop using Cocktail as a monthly maintenance procedure. That's what I thought was the main thing to drop. So I thought I did as told as far as that goes.

I came up myself with the idea to repair all hard drives once a month. I don't even think I mentioned yet that I do that. That's not a good idea? Hard drives file structure go crazy, why not just do a repair once a month? Whats wrong with that? I once discovered that my offsite clone had issues and made it a point to repair it every month to be safe.

Now this is actually a new twist. The original issue was the pointers would end up screwed up after doing the clones with Superduper. I have not gone to the bank yet to grab my offsite clone (will do that next week). Then I clone all the hard rives, (3 hard drives, 3 clones) and then I was going to try to keep an eye out for which clone screws up the pointers on the sidebar.

But I did not get to that stage yet. Becuase before I do that, I repair all the hardrives at home. And after doing that today, I noticed all the sidebar items were gone, except the hardrives. This is a real pain, because while I can easily put them back, it's a total hassle.

That said I could easily, just use drag thing and not use the side bar at all. But it is a nice feature.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 06:35 PM

1) Get your backup to automatically unmount and remount your drive as needed

2) Stop doing any maintenance. My memory is bad, but not bad enough to be pretty certain that it was suggested that you stop doing any and all maintenance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm pretty sure I'm just repeating what has been said before, but maybe this time it will resonate.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2013, 07:26 PM

B
read this thread, Super Duper developer does not have ready yet that ability.

f it ain't broke, don't fix it is a cliche for consumer products and services. It does not apply to things you own and want to stay well. For example, my new car from 2002 has never broken down because I take it in every year for checks, and I repair things before they go bad.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 07:29 PM

B
read this thread, Super Duper developer does not have ready yet that ability.

f it ain't broke, don't fix it is a cliche for consumer products and services. It does not apply to things you own and want to stay well. For example, my new car from 2002 has never broken down because I take it in every year for checks, and I repair things before they go bad.

Good luck then.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 07:39 PM

Do you understand that there may be a difference between electronic devices and mechanical devices?

I need to regularly have my piano tuned, because if I don't, it will eventually be untunable. Obviously, the same applies to my Yamaha digital workstation. So I take it in to have the solder re-flowed every year. Actually, I don't.

It has been explained in considerable detail to you why the software you are using today does not follow the same maintenance procedures that software from the 1990s did. And it appears to have convinced you to stop using Cocktail or OnyX or whatever.

In any case, a simple fsck (disk repair) should not cause the problems you are seeing, but your system has been sending you signals for quite some time that something is awry, so nothing has really changed, except that the signals may be getting even more obvious that you should probably be thinking of changing your strategy.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2013, 12:00 AM

thanks S.

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2013, 04:09 PM

UPDATE GUYS.
today I did monthly repair disc on all my hardrives, and boom, all sidebar items I had (about 15) are gone!

Just doing disc utility repair disc, cleared the side bar. WTF?
Actually, I am interested in knowing more about what you did here that cleared the sidebar.

Ran Disk Utility? Why monthly? Does that mean you booted from Apple's install DVD/CD? Which OS?

What option did you select? Repair disk? If it was repair disk, did it find anything to change and did it change it? What did it indicate needed to be repaired in the file system? If so did you rerun it until it found nothing to change?

If it was Disk Utility and it did not find anything wrong to fix, then the loss of your sidebar is simply a coincidence that could have happened anytime, given that your sidebars seemed cross-wired already, and probably would have happened anyway with your next reboot.

Running Disk Utility routinely to try to repair the file system strikes me as odd, particularly with a journaled hard disk and OS at 10.5 or later. Here are some of the reasons one might normally run Disk Utility to "repair":

Power failures or some other forced shutdown
Kernel panics (system freeze requiring a hard reboot)
Many "beach balls" that indicate the operating system and/or multiple programs are not working
Boot up problems
External drive that was disconnected without properly ejecting it (run Disk Utility on the external in that case)
Having trouble finding and/or opening files or indications that "available disk space" is being incorrectly reported

Do you have these sorts of problems on a monthly basis? If not, why try to fix the file system on a monthly basis?

There are some who would, in the above cases, chose instead to run "Verify disk" (which identifies problems in the file system but does not attempt to repair them) and if something wrong is found, would then instead run Disk Warrior, which simply builds an entirely new file catalog instead of repairing anything.

Anytime, with any tool, that you attempt a file system repair, there is some small, maybe tiny, chance that something will go wrong. A bit flip in memory or disk at just the wrong time, maybe a tiny surge in the AC power at the wrong moment when the file system is being tweaked, even some obscure bug in Apple's software (yes they do exist), there is always some some small risk. Best to leave the file system alone unless there is some symptom requiring attention. (But I think others have already told you that!)

If you have the urge to "tinker," I suggest that you start writing software in C++ and/or with unix scripts and compile and run them on your Mac. You can have a lot of fun with that and it probably won't mess up your sidebar.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2013, 05:13 PM

thanks, Steve yeah, I've been talked into bailing on that. Just got Checkmate by Micromat, maybe that will help for this type of maintenance.

All I did use the repair, nothing needed to be repaired. no red text.

P
Apr 6, 2013, 11:26 AM

Off topic post deleted.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2013, 02:01 PM

All I did use the repair, nothing needed to be repaired. no red text.
Well, that's useful information -- if nothing was changed by Disk Utility, then it was probably the reboot that cleared a cache or something in memory and changed your sidebar somehow. That might be indicative of a faulty OS install, but I don't think, given the history you presented us, that I have enough information to remotely diagnose the cause of the sidebar issues you've been having.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2013, 05:37 AM

This thread is turning into this:

Jam - Thick People - YouTube

P
Apr 10, 2013, 07:55 AM

OK guys, enough of that. Keep it on topic, please.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules