Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > endlessly spinning gear-like wheel in Menu Bar

endlessly spinning gear-like wheel in Menu Bar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2013, 10:26 AM

In the Menu Bar there is a round gear-like icon that spins endlessly. All's well with the computer: the icon doesn't seem to indicate any problem. I've restarted in safe mode and run Disk Warrior, but neither gets rid of the problem. As I said, everything is working fine, but my eye is constantly drawn to the spinning and it drives me crazy. Any suggestions wouldl be appreciated.

Administrator
Apr 6, 2013, 02:20 PM

Hover your mouse over it, and see what text comes up. Or click on it, to see what menu choices appear. It may be something like a current-weather app, and it's trying to reach a server to fetch temperatures.

Since weather websites change their formats all the time, such apps need frequent updates. Or they get stuck retrying to parse the data they need.

It might not be a weather app, but it's definitely stuck fetching information. First step is to figure out what it is. Then update it, or remove it. It's likely something in your Login Items.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Hover your mouse over it, and see what text comes up. Or click on it, to see what menu choices appear. It may be something like a current-weather app, and it's trying to reach a server to fetch temperatures.

Since weather websites change their formats all the time, such apps need frequent updates. Or they get stuck retrying to parse the data they need.

It might not be a weather app, but it's definitely stuck fetching information. First step is to figure out what it is. Then update it, or remove it. It's likely something in your Login Items.
Unfortunately, neither hovering the mouse nor clicking on it produces any results.

Administrator
Apr 6, 2013, 03:08 PM

You can try dragging it off the menu bar. Try Control-Command-drag to see if it'll pull off and vanish in a puff of smoke.

System Preferences -> Accounts -> (your account) -> Login Items (tab)

Look over the items here. Your mystery item is most likely a menu applet, and may be hiding in your login items. If you remove any items, log out of your account and back in to see if the gear vanishes.

You can also try running Activity Monitor with nothing else active. Show all processes, sort by CPU usage, and investigate anything that keeps using a smidgen of CPU. This will eventually identify your mystery app.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2013, 03:58 PM

Many, many thanks. Turns out it was MenuWeather lite that was the culprit. I'm enormously grateful for your suggestions. Alan

Forum Links
Forum Rules