Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > libcurl.4.dylib

libcurl.4.dylib
May 15, 2013, 05:52 PM

Here's an arcane problem...
My daughter is studying for her CPA over the summer and is using the Becker system. Part of the tools, are desktop apps to use when one cannot be online. She has an older MacBook running 10.6.8, but Becker's sys.reqs clearly state her Mac is good to go.

So, we DL'ed and installed one of the apps today. Install went perfectly. However, when she tried to launch the app, it won't launch, and this is the following error we get:

Dyld Error Message: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
Reason: Incompatible library version
Becker CPA Review Exam requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libcurl.4.dylib provides version 6.0.0

I'm not sure where to go from here. Has anyone run into this issue before? Is it resolvable?

Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2013, 05:56 PM

Here's suggestions and explanation from the Apple discussions. It's for a different app, but the answer should still apply.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

May 15, 2013, 06:02 PM

Thanks, but I'm not sure that applies to this situation. It's not that her system is missing the file. It's that the version of libcurl.4.dylib she has doesn't provide 7.0.0 (whatever that means).
Her system is as up-to-date as Snow Leopard can be, including all security updates.

Administrator
May 15, 2013, 06:19 PM

cURL is an open source download tool, much like wget.

You need a v7 of cURL (the background library specifically). You can download later versions here.

Alternatively, you could install MacPorts, which apparently installs a later version automatically for its own use.

May 15, 2013, 06:25 PM

How would installing a newer version affect any other apps that are perfectly happy with v6? Might I break compatibility with something else?

P
May 16, 2013, 08:00 AM

UNIX library versions work like this:

* Major version number change means that it is incompatible with previous versions. For this reason, version 7.0.0 will not replace version 6.4.3 or whatever - it will install beside it. A program that requires version 6 will not load version 7 - it will refuse to start.
* Minor version number (revision number) means that it is backwards compatible with previous versions of the same major number, but adds features and is not forwards compatible. Version 6.5.0 will replace version 6.4.3. A program that requires at least version 6.4 will load version 6.5 if available, and will refuse to start if it only finds 6.3 and 7.0.
* Fix number never adds features and is fully compatible both ways. A program initially compiled against 6.4.3 will load 6.4.1 if that is the version available (although this should not happen in practice).

So you can install libcurl v7 if you like - the issue is that the program you're launching has to find it. If you install it in something like /usr/local/lib and the program is not looking in that directory, it won't work. That will require additional hacking to fix, but let's start will getting it installed somewhere and see what happens.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

May 16, 2013, 04:15 PM

Soooo...Thought I should drop-in for an update...
I had emailed Becker's tech support about this issue (since their website claimed my daughter's MacBook met the requirements) I got a response this afternoon, basically saying "Our bad. Here's a link to the real sys.reqs." Turns out, Snow Leopard isn't supported. 10.7 and up.

I felt compelled to point out to them that, when you do a search on their website for system requirements, you get the page that says SL is supported. I also pointed out that their automated email response has a set of suggested tech support links, including system requirements. Those links point to the same page showing SL is supported.

Can you even get Lion anymore? Her MacBook is, I think, the oldest of the MacBooks that Lion will work on.

P
May 16, 2013, 04:44 PM

Yes, if you call Apple sales directly, they have a way to hook you up.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

May 16, 2013, 04:46 PM

Thanks, P.
Is there a quick and easy way to double-check she can run Lion? Like, plugging-in the serial number and getting the answer?

Administrator
May 16, 2013, 05:33 PM

Mactracker gives the max system version for every Mac. These are the official limits - you can often get a later version on with some working around.

Why not try installing the updated cURL? It's possible that is the only reason they're asking for Lion. The stale sys requirement pages suggest they had expected to support SL, and got hung up on a minor detail.

May 16, 2013, 05:48 PM

Well, I'm a little skittish about trying to install an updated cURL. For one, I'm not exactly sure how to get it installed. Then, I'm guessing it would have to be installed where the current libcurl.4 is located (since that is where the app is looking) and I'm concerned that this would break other apps needing v6.

MacPorts apparently requires you have Xcode Dev Tools installed first. That seems like a bit of overkill just to get this one file updated. Upgrading the MacBook to Lion seems like a lot less of a hassle. I hope.

P
May 16, 2013, 06:35 PM

All you need to use MacPorts is a package called Command Line Tools for Xcode. It is freely available with a dev account (all of Xcode requires the paid account, IIRC).

Getting a new version of curl to load would be tricky, so if you can get Lion to work, that would be best.

Posting Junkie
May 17, 2013, 12:48 AM

Getting a newer libcurl shoudn't be that tricky; all you'd probably need to do would be to install it from MacPorts, and then use install_name_tool to point the app at /opt/local/lib/libcurl.4.dylib instead of /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib.

However, if the app was built to run on Lion or later, you're likely to have incompatibilities other than just libcurl. They might have used APIs in the Foundation or AppKit frameworks that aren't available on Snow Leopard, they might have used autolayout nibs, they might have done a host of other things that will break compatibility with Snow Leopard. So, I wouldn't put too much faith in being able to get it to work this way.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules