Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Choppy scrolling

Choppy scrolling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2013, 03:02 PM

Dear community,

Not long ago I bought an new iMac late 2012. Until now I’m pretty happy with it but I realized a problem while working with editors that the scrolling is choppy and laggy.

The problem:

When I use applications like eclipse or Dreamweaver the scrolling is totally laggy and it is very frustrating working with that. When I scroll the CPU usage goes up to 20-40 %.

But there is a difference when I change the size the texteditor window. When is very small the scrolling is very smooth like it supposed to be when is max size is very very choppy.
I made a small video to demonstrate the issue and added some monitoring. When you play it on 1080p you going to see the values.

SlowScrollingfinal - YouTube

I think that is not ok and intended. I tried it also with other applictions and is kind of the same problem. Using Photoshop , Textwrangler or Word is alaways slow scrolling. Sometimes even dropdown lists are lagging (wtf?).

So far I tried this approach’s to solve the problem

• Deleted the application caches in safe mode
• Create a new user and tried scrolling
• Renamed systemconfiguration folder and try after restart
• Smooth scrolling functions and trying around options
• Reset the PRAM

Nothing helped at all and as newbie to osx I don’t what to do else.

I would appreciate some advise

Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2013, 05:01 PM

That was a pretty snazzy video. Good job.

I can't tell you what the problem is, but I suggest you make a similar video with TextWrangler and post it in the BB Software forums. If there's a community of users who can help you out, it's probably them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules