Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Getting folder with question mark upon reboot.

Getting folder with question mark upon reboot.
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2013, 01:39 PM

My macbook air, coming out of sleep got the endless beachball, so I did a force quit with the power button.

Now, I see the folder with question mark symbol come up, and I can't seem to get a cursor to navigate to it, so I'm stuck. thanks!
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

P
Aug 27, 2013, 01:43 PM

That symbol means that your computer can't find an OS installation to boot from. Have you tried booting into recovery mode?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2013, 03:23 PM

thanks P, Apple tech told me about that, is that command R?

Just tried that, and screen comes up with a dropdown that says choose network, and in dropdown, my network (which is running great on my 27" imac), is not listed!
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Aug 27, 2013, 03:38 PM

oof. Do you have a backup?

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2013, 03:51 PM

Actually, I don't think this came with a CD, did that answer your question Andi?
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Mac Elite
Location: Excellent, the sports issue is within arm's reach, I'll be here all day.
Aug 27, 2013, 03:57 PM

Move the Macbook into the other room and connect via ethernet.

Edit:nevermind
`<-can't read
Macbook Air not Macbook
( Last edited by And.reg; Aug 31, 2013 at 04:09 PM. )
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2013, 04:26 PM

Recovery mode will only work if the hard drive is actually functioning. If your hard drive is not functioning, then there will be no recovery partition to boot from.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2013, 04:41 PM

Don't see ethernet hole in macbook air, ok, my network, I got into, progress bar loading...now...
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2013, 05:00 PM

Ok, I got online, got options to change the OS, and other stuff, time machine, I don't use from laptop, but I chose DU, and did get to verify the hard drive is OK.
Then I did a restart, and I got the question mark folder again!

Why can't I get a cursor into the question mark folder, and what do I do know. thanks!
1 bit progress: hard drive is ok.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

P
Aug 27, 2013, 05:37 PM

Go back into the recovery mode and use that to reinstall operating system. Your installation is broken, for some reason, so to get anywhere you need to reinstall the OS.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2013, 08:37 PM

thanks P,
My notes from apple say command R brings up a hidden bootable drive, and command option R does the same thing over the internet.
But I'm holding down command R, and only getting the internet option.

Also, if the OS was ok, and the HD is ok, I would not be seeing this ? folder.

Back in but now on dropdown my wifi is not showing, this happend last time, but an hour later the list expanded from 6-7 to a much longer list of 15 or so which did have mine. So I'm stuck again.

Ok, got back in, started with the re-install option, but at the point there the Lion comes up and it says select the disc you want to install to, nothing is there, and the install button is greyed out.

PS just unified my three posts in to this one, but then I cannot find anyway to delete a post! so sorry about the next two.
( Last edited by jeff k; Aug 27, 2013 at 09:11 PM. )
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2013, 09:27 PM

I was wrong about the HD, it did not show up in DU, that was just system X base listed. So I think the HD is toasted. just make apt with Genius Bar?
Man, never had a hard drive fail in 20 years of computing and this is just 1-2 years old with very light usage.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Managing Editor
Aug 27, 2013, 09:58 PM

Unless you've got a bootable external on USB, then I think that the Genius Bar at this point is your best hope.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2013, 01:15 AM

Well I do have a bootable probably as I use SD for my desktop, and have a backup even for the laptop, but yeah, I made the apt with the Genius bar. I've had the laptop under a year, but I "think" that it's out of warranty for parts probably.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

P
Aug 28, 2013, 06:22 AM

Yes, it seems your hard drive has died. Nothing more to do but get it replaced.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2013, 05:20 PM

I made the warranty by 7 days.
Question: I get another 3 free months after the fix.
Would you all buy Apple Care, $250 for the laptop? I have to decide within 7 days. It would then just over another 1 year and 9 months.

Lot of money for 21 months. opinions?
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Managing Editor
Aug 30, 2013, 05:33 PM

It's only a lot of money if you don't need it.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2013, 06:23 PM

So that's one vote to buy it? It's buy insurance basically, and I think it's steep for less than 2 years and then it's over...

I don't move the laptop hardly ever, just a 2nd work station. My first white laptop went the 3 years without a hitch.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Administrator
Aug 31, 2013, 10:50 AM

It sounds like your computer is at the point where a $250 investment will keep you from having to buy a $1500 computer in a hurry... I'd certainly get the added Apple Care.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2013, 12:39 PM

I'd look at SafeWare before committing to AppleCare. They're usually cheaper, and they cover accidental damage.

What model MBA was this? Was it one with an actual hard drive or an SSD?

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2013, 01:08 PM

This is 1 yr old 11" with the SSD.
Never heard of Safeware, will call Monday for a quote, are they pretty good?

Again, it comes back in a week like new with three months warranty. I have 7 days to decide on apple care , $250, for 1 yr. 9 months past that free 3 months.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2013, 03:48 PM

SafeWare is a third-party warranty and insurance provider. Their warranties cover accidental damage. Generally you have to buy within 30 days of purchase, but they do have Apple-specific warranties, and it's possible that they will allow warranty purchase as long as the original 1-year warranty is still intact. Can't hurt to ask.

I'm pretty surprised that the SSD crapped out. They're supposed to be all reliable and shit. That said, keep in mind that out-of-warranty repairs are pretty cheap at Apple, all things considered. If you get it repaired in-store, it can be less than $100 USD for parts and labor, depending on the failure. For expensive repairs (LCD, motherboard), the store will mail it to a depot for a flat rate repair. In 2010 the 11" MBA was, IIRC, $300 for a flat-rate repair that covered anything that wasn't damaged by customer negligence or abuse.

Bottom line is, unless a major component fails, the warranty isn't going to pay for itself at this point. That's just my two cents.

And keep in mind - without a warranty you can still get free tech support at the Apple Store. They can diagnose problems for you, and you can fix them yourself.

You should also weigh the cost vs. benefit of paying for an extended warranty to maintain an old computer. A refurbished 2012 Air is only $750 right now - and that will come with a full one-year warranty (and you can get SafeWare or AppleCare on top of that). If you can get SafeWare and it's about the same as AppleCare, I'd go for that instead simply because it covers accidental damage.

Mac Elite
Location: Excellent, the sports issue is within arm's reach, I'll be here all day.
Aug 31, 2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'm pretty surprised that the SSD crapped out. They're supposed to be all reliable and shit.
Not necessarily. I bought my Macbook Air and it came with a defective hard drive out of the box. Apple overnighted the repaired Macbook Air to me for free.
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Not necessarily. I bought my Macbook Air and it came with a defective hard drive out of the box. Apple overnighted the repaired Macbook Air to me for free.
Defective out of the box is one thing - that happens to RAM, too. It's usually caused by one of the chips on the SSD or RAM module being defective out of the factory. As soon as the computer tries to use a defective block or bit, it shits itself.

It's far less common for solid-state storage to fail over time or abruptly after months or years of reliable use. It's not like a hard drive.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2013, 06:01 PM

Yeah, not 100 HD, talking also about ciruit board, but it could be HD, I'll now soon.

But this repair would be $300 or so, and if it was the HD upwards of $500. But you Shif, don't think $250 for less than 2 years is a good deal?
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2013, 06:30 PM

I should have asked if you're in the US. If you're in the US, any non-damage repair out of warranty shouldn't be more than $300 (like I said before, that's 2010 pricing. Might have gone up in the past couple years...), because a third-party depot is used, and they charge a flat rate regardless of the cost of repair.

I just don't know, to be honest. I'd look at third party warranty options and see how much those cost, and weigh in what your normal computer upgrade cycle is. The problem with the MBA is that it's basically a disposable laptop - it doesn't use any standard components, so fixing it yourself can still be pricey - I just looked at how much an SSD module costs for the 11" mid-2012 model, and it's nearly $300. Meanwhile, a normal SATA SSD for a laptop can be had for under $150.

If you plan on keeping this machine as your main laptop for, say, another three years, then it's probably worth the extended warranty. If you were planning on getting a new laptop in 2014 anyhow, then it's probably not worth it.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2013, 06:48 PM

I do plan on keeping it for awhile, are there any other trusted 3rd party options?

They would have to jump in right before the 1 yr. mark. thanks.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Administrator
Aug 31, 2013, 07:17 PM

SquareTrade also offers 3rd party warranties.

If you were certain it was the SSD, you could try the OWC SSD upgrade kit. You might even talk them into a cheaper price, since you would not need their enclosure for your old SSD.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2013, 07:17 PM

There's SquareTrade, too, and probably others. These third-party options are more like insurance than an OEM warranty. They offer the same limited warranty coverage, as well as accidental damage coverage. Depending on the provider, you get the machine fixed and get reimbursed (like you would with your car insurance company), or they fix it or replace it for you.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2013, 07:43 PM

thanks all Apple care is insurance no? the concept is the same, though with Apple its nice cause of free tech support and it's all under the same roof, just pricey.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2013, 12:27 AM

AppleCare is not insurance. AppleCare is an extension of the manufacturer's limited warranty. It does not cover hardware failures due to customer negligence, accidents, damage, fire, or flood.

AppleCare+, which is only available for iOS devices (AFAIK), does cover accidental damage to an extent (I think there's a limit to the number of claims you can make under the coverage, and a sort of deductible is required to get repair for a damaged device).

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2013, 03:16 PM

just got the unit back. It was the solid state hardrive. Just 11 months, 2nd workstation.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2013, 07:26 PM

That's still really freaking weird that the SSD randomly shit itself after months of working fine.

It's a very, very uncommon thing to happen to an SSD. I'd say keep an eye on it. If the SSD craps out again, I'd start looking at other causes - overheating, logic board problems, etc.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2013, 08:34 PM

Ok S. so I assume they put a new SSD in. The laptop is a 2nd workstation that is on all day and sleeps at night, just like my 27" desktop.

It is odd.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

P
Sep 6, 2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
That's still really freaking weird that the SSD randomly shit itself after months of working fine.

It's a very, very uncommon thing to happen to an SSD. I'd say keep an eye on it. If the SSD craps out again, I'd start looking at other causes - overheating, logic board problems, etc.
It's uncommon, and much less common than HDDs, but it does happen. Some data center stats I dug up show annualized failure rates of somewhere between 1.5-2% in the first 2 years and increasing after that. I've had an SSD fail myself (one that I had installed in the optical slot of my 27" iMac, feel my pain) and it was no trouble getting a replacement. I got the feeling that they handle this sort of thing regularly.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2013, 03:31 PM

the diagnosis, just said unable to mount.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2013, 09:42 PM

Did decide to buy the Apple care, 2 days before deadline in store, but had a glitch with server — boy they torture you.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules